Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CATHEDRAL QUARTER INFORMATION NEEDED.

Options
  • 01-12-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

hi im doing a concept plan for the cathedral quarter for a urban and rural design masters, dont really know the area that well so would be delighted with any info or opinions anyone could give...

i have to come up with a revised concept plan for the area and make recommendations as to the future development of the area

i also have to review the policy history to figure out why the area didnt develop as successfully as other regeneration areas like temple bar, as in figure out was it the policies that were wrong or was it some other factors which prevented it from becoming a successful area

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Riverfarset

what is now dubbed the cathedral quarter is one of the oldest areas in belfast so i am sure you would find plenty of info. on the area in any books/websites which talk about the history of belfast.

Perhaps the moving of people from the adjacent 'half-bap' and 'little Italy' residential areas led to the area becoming run down? I would maybe check out the 1911 irish census which is now up on-line- might give you some info as to the numbers of people living in the cathedral quarter at the time.

maybe get in touch with some local historians like eamon phoenix etc who might be able to give you a greater insight into the economic/social history of the area and why it went into decline.

Also remember hearing that the local pubs in the area have agreed not to engage in price wars regarding alcohol-with the intention on preventing any templebar style area emerging which in my opnion is a good idea albeit the drink is probably a bit more expensive than it might be!

Advertisement