Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Public Servants receive a state benefit for the days of their unpaid leave ?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

What it asks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Of course they won't. Unpaid means unpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I don't believe that they will as they are still employed.

Nothing this Govt do would surprise me though.

It has become such a farce that I am actually starting to tune out of the whole discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Another thread about Public Servants?

It's unpaid leave. Look up the definition of unpaid if you're not sure what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Wheety wrote: »

It's unpaid leave. Look up the definition of unpaid if you're not sure what it means.

An individual who is unemployed is "unpaid" and receives welfare, so I believe the question is a fair one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

+1

And the answer is NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Sandwich wrote: »
    What it asks.

If they're entitled to one under benefit law then they will, same as every other citizen in the country,

if not, they wont...

jprender wrote: »
    An individual who is unemployed is "unpaid" and receives welfare, so I believe the question is a fair one.

The individuals who will be taking unpaid leave are taking unpaid leave from their employment. They are not unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

The individuals who will be taking unpaid leave are taking unpaid leave from their employment. They are not unemployed.

Many private sector workers these days who have their working hours cut from 39hours to 4day or 3day working weeks, of 1 or 2 week full layoff, are still 'employed' as I would understand it. Yet they receive state benefit for each day off. And in many cases, 3 day weeks are organised to be Tue,Wed, Thu, so that that they can also claim for being out of work on Saturday, and maximise their receipt.

Many private sector workers these days who have their working hours cut from 39hours to 4day or 3day working weeks, of 1 or 2 week full layoff, are still 'employed' as I would understand it. Yet they receive state benefit for each day off. And in many cases, 3 day weeks are organised to be Tue,Wed, Thu, so that that they can also claim for being out of work on Saturday, and maximise their receipt.

The whole point of it is to reduce pay. Public Servants will not be paid for the days they miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

If they're entitled to one under benefit law then they will, same as every other citizen in the country,

if not, they wont...

I think this is the exact question that the OP was looking to be answered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

So say you are a PS worker who has a flexitime arrangement. Say you clock up 14 days PAID LEAVE in your holiday bank through the use of the flexitime system in place where you work and maybe by also carrying over a few days paid leave this year by taking a certified sickie instead of the 3-4 days you had planned to take off before Christmas.

Then you have to take 14 days unpaid leave next year but you can claim an entitlement to 14 days paid leave... Where are we then???

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Darragh29 wrote: »
    So say you are a PS worker who has a flexitime arrangement. Say you clock up 14 days PAID LEAVE in your holiday bank through the use of the flexitime system in place where you work and maybe by also carrying over a few days paid leave this year by taking a certified sickie instead of the 3-4 days you had planned to take off before Christmas.

Then you have to take 14 days unpaid leave next year but you can claim an entitlement to 14 days paid leave... Where are we then???

As far as I know flexitime can't be banked for a continuous length of time off. My friend, a civil servant, can work up a day and a half in a month but she has to take it in the following 4 week period, she can't carry it on into the future indefinitely. Unless she doesn't use and then she still can only work up to that day and a half.

As far as I know flexitime can't be banked for a continuous length of time off. My friend, a civil servant, can work up a day and a half in a month but she has to take it in the following 4 week period, she can't carry it on into the future indefinitely. Unless she doesn't use and then she still can only work up to that day and a half.

This is true. With flexitime, you are only allowed to carry forward 11.5 hours in overtime (equals 1.5 days) in one flexi period. Anything worked over that time is wiped.

If you choose not to use the 1.5 days built up in one month, you can hold the hours there, but nothing else you work over core hours will count for anything. In effect, it makes people use it within the 4 week flexi-period.

There is no banking of these days. If you used no flexi-time over a full year, but had accrued 11.5 hours, then at the end of the year, that is all you will have - 1.5 days.

14 days off paid and 14 days off unpaid. 28 days in total.

But as has already been pointed out you can only take the time off in the following flexi period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

even if you work up enough hours to cover 2 days, you are only allowed take the one flexi day every 4 weeks. anything built up over that is gone forever, you get no benefit for it and if you dont take your flexi, you cant carry it over, its also gone forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

You can't carry more than 11.5 hours of flexi leave forward from each period. The maximum a person can work up is 19.5 days a year but those days have to be spread out over the 13 flexi periods.

I'd say that flexi leave will be taken first, then unpaid leave (since I doubt that any unpaid leave that isn't taken will be refunded and possibly not carried forward to the next year) and then annual leave, so it will be annual leave that is built up.

HollyB wrote: »
    You can't carry more than 11.5 hours of flexi leave forward from each period. The maximum a person can work up is 19.5 days a year but those days have to be spread out over the 13 flexi periods.

I'd say that flexi leave will be taken first, then unpaid leave (since I doubt that any unpaid leave that isn't taken will be refunded and possibly not carried forward to the next year) and then annual leave, so it will be annual leave that is built up.

just want to point out that not all PS depts get flexi leave either. im allowed 13 per year while others in my job receive none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Sick days are not holidays - this feeling of entitlement to extra days through sick leave is a prime example of why this country is in the mess it's in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They will receive a state benefit in the form of overtime that they will receive for doing the work that was missed while they were on their unpaid leave, there's still the same or not more work to be done, it's happy days if your a public servant, lots of lovely overtime on it's way next year :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

I wonder what is the logic in cutting PS days of work when they still get money from SW for the other days?????

• Advertisement

Lirael wrote: »
    I wonder what is the logic in cutting PS days of work when they still get money from SW for the other days?????

they dont for gods sake, please do some research if your gona make a mad comment like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Gulliver wrote: »
    Sick days are not holidays - this feeling of entitlement to extra days through sick leave is a prime example of why this country is in the mess it's in.

paid sick leave is not only a function of the public sector. Plenty of private companies pay employees for sick time once certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

A Private Sector worker does not get paid benefit if his working week is reduced to 4 days. He does get benefit of the working week has been reduced to 3 days. Saturdays are not included if the working week has been cut on a temporary basis. Saturdays are included if a person who was unemployed got a job for 3 days a week or if the person has been placed on a 3 day working week permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

paid sick leave is not only a function of the public sector. Plenty of private companies pay employees for sick time once certified.

Usually up to a maximum of 3 - 5 days dependant on the company.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    They will receive a state benefit in the form of overtime that they will receive for doing the work that was missed while they were on their unpaid leave, there's still the same or not more work to be done, it's happy days if your a public servant, lots of lovely overtime on it's way next year :D.

Paid overtime has not been sanctioned in the majority of the PS for quite a while now. Please read other comments here on how the flexi-system works for hours above core time. Anything additional is generally not paid back. Obviously, there are some differences, depending on which department you're in, but paid OT is very infrequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I didn't specify public or private, I just picked up on the comment that I had quoted. It just so happens that the poster themselves mentioned public sector and was looking to circumvent the unpaid leave.

Also, in the private sector, you'd be extremely lucky to be paid for the first three days of your sick leave.

Bottom line: private or public - sick days are not extra holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Flexitime seems to vary. I can have up to 50 hours maximum, these can be carried from year to year. Maximum of 2 flexidays a month. Now if only I had the time to use them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You really need to do some research before you come spouting rubbish of the above nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Usually up to a maximum of 3 - 5 days dependant on the company.

not in my experience. 3 -5 days is the norm for uncertified sick leave, if your paid for it. Most companies (if they pay sick leave) and also the Public Services will only pay for 3 days uncertified. After that you must provide a cert
    Gulliver wrote: »
    I didn't specify public or private, I just picked up on the comment that I had quoted. It just so happens that the poster themselves mentioned public sector and was looking to circumvent the unpaid leave.

Also, in the private sector, you'd be extremely lucky to be paid for the first three days of your sick leave.

I know you didn't specify. I was just nipping that one in the bud before it started :)

as for lucky to be paid for your first 3 days, well again, see above. Most comapanies will pay uncertified leave up to a max of 3 days. There is usually a cutoff on the amount of uncertified leave you can take in a year too. I think 7 days is the norm, but I'll stand corrected on that. That also holds true for the Public sector
    Bottom line: private or public - sick days are not extra holidays!

totally agree with you here. This mentality is unfortunately prevalent in all sectors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

not in my experience. 3 -5 days is the norm for uncertified sick leave, if your paid for it. Most companies (if they pay sick leave) and also the Public Services will only pay for 3 days uncertified. After that you must provide a cert

My friend (the civil servant bless her) told me they have to provide a cert from the 3rd day, therefore, you can take 2 days without a cert but from the 3rd day on you're visiting the doctor. The dept she works very few take sick leave, they have a pride in what they do but I'm not willing to say where cos she comes on here.

Advertisement