Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Public Servants receive a state benefit for the days of their unpaid leave ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Sandwich wrote: »
    Many private sector workers these days who have their working hours cut from 39hours to 4day or 3day working weeks, of 1 or 2 week full layoff, are still 'employed' as I would understand it. Yet they receive state benefit for each day off. And in many cases, 3 day weeks are organised to be Tue,Wed, Thu, so that that they can also claim for being out of work on Saturday, and maximise their receipt.

Theres a lotta lotta companies out there doing this at the moment - cuts down on their wage bill & workers can claim 2-3 days social welfare entitlements. TBH it wouldn't surprise me if there is a mess up somewhere along the way & this become the case for public sector workers. & im sure the unions will come along at some stage & argue this exact point.
    Im not agreeing or disagreeing with this fact but TBH anything is possible with this government.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Darragh29 wrote: »
    So say you are a PS worker who has a flexitime arrangement. Say you clock up 14 days PAID LEAVE in your holiday bank through the use of the flexitime system in place where you work and maybe by also carrying over a few days paid leave this year by taking a certified sickie instead of the 3-4 days you had planned to take off before Christmas.

Then you have to take 14 days unpaid leave next year but you can claim an entitlement to 14 days paid leave... Where are we then???

for an entrepreneur (Irish equiv of a guy with a stall..) you seem to be unaware of flexitime - flexi days (which also exist outside the public service) have to be used within the month following their creation.

As an entrepreneur you also seem to be unaware of what flexi means. there is still a basic monthly hourley attendance of 160 hrs (ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

parsi wrote: »
    for an entrepreneur (Irish equiv of a guy with a stall..) you seem to be unaware of flexitime - flexi days (which also exist outside the public service) have to be used within the month following their creation.

As an entrepreneur you also seem to be unaware of what flexi means. there is still a basic monthly hourley attendance of 160 hrs (ish).

In fairness flexi-time is almost unheard of in some industries, so it wouldn't be unusual for someone not to know about it. I know it's never been in any place I've worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Gulliver wrote: »
    Sick days are not holidays - this feeling of entitlement to extra days through sick leave is a prime example of why this country is in the mess it's in.

So the whole property bubble thing was just a front created by civil servants pulling sickies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Absurdum wrote: »
    So the whole property bubble thing was just a front created by civil servants pulling sickies?

Read the whole post again. I didn't mention public or private. Funny how you're hearing public in your head. Got something to tell us about your sickies?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Gulliver wrote: »
    Read the whole post again. I didn't mention public or private. Funny how you're hearing public in your head. Got something to tell us about your sickies?;)

thanks for answering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If you agree to work fewer hours, you may qualify for some financial supports, depending on your circumstances. These include jobseeker payments, Family Income Supplement and Mortgage Interest/Rent Supplement.

Also
    You may get Jobseeker’s Benefit if:
    • Your days at work are reduced (systematic short-time working)
    • You are job-sharing week on and week off (but not if you have chosen to do so)
    • You get casual work or part-time work
    • You have subsidiary employment.

If you normally work full-time but short-time working is introduced by your employer you may get Jobseeker’s Benefit. Reduced working hours on a temporary basis is called systematic-short time working. You will continue to pay PRSI in the normal way. However, Jobseeker’s Benefit is not taxable if you are systematic short-time working.

Hope this goes some way to answering the OPs question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I'd also point out that a large chunk of the public service (i.e. pre-1995) dont pay class A PRSI so probably would not be entitled to these schemes (I think)

In any event I'd be surprised if welfare was not specifically excluded under the deal, other wise its even more of a disaster

Advertisement