Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Lights in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 01-12-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

:eek:

I've never seen anything so cheap and tacky looking as those flashing multi coloured lights on Georges Street. Are they always that bad??

Yes, I know there are more important things to be worrying about, I was just a bit surprised when I saw them last night.. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they've been around for about 20 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

You'd never know! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Not true!

remember the year they were too cheep to put them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not true!

remember the year they were too cheep to put them up?

really?

don't remember that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 iSoap

Walking in to Dun Laoghaire town is like walking 30 years into the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Evan Bray has ditched the tacky lights this year! Is Dun Laoghaire twinned with Blackpool by any chance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

really?

don't remember that

If i remember correctly it was to do with the the roadworks that were carried out a few years back. Caused mayhem and businesses down lower georges street were badly affected. When it came to xmas time they refused to pay so no lights went up that year. In fairness Dun Laoghaire never recovered after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hem

Evan Bray has ditched the tacky lights this year! Is Dun Laoghaire twinned with Blackpool by any chance? :D

Blackpool doesn't do Christmas lights.

iSoap wrote: »
    Walking in to Dun Laoghaire town is like walking 30 years into the past.

to kind of steal a quote from Jimmy Carr

"I grew up in Dun Laoghaire in the 1970's, if you want to know what Dun Laoghaire was like in the 1970's, go there now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

It kinda has a cute old school charm about it though - the antithesis of shiny, fancy Dundrum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

hem wrote: »
    Blackpool doesn't do Christmas lights.

I was refering to the 'tack factor' of blackpool.

It kinda has a cute old school charm about it though - the antithesis of shiny, fancy Dundrum!

Don't get me wrong i'm not dissing my home town. We all want it to do well. Maybe throw in a Jack&Jones or a topman clothes shop and a River Island for the women would help. As far as shopping goes in dl shopping centre goes for blokes anyway, Motion picture is a no no and O'Connors seems to only ever have XXL sizes???? Anybody agree with me there?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong i'm not dissing my home town. We all want it to do well. Maybe throw in a Jack&Jones or a topman clothes shop and a River Island for the women would help. As far as shopping goes in dl shopping centre goes for blokes anyway, Motion picture is a no no and O'Connors seems to only ever have XXL sizes???? Anybody agree with me there?

I was gonna post a thread about this last week after a mind boggling shopping trip in Dun Laoghaire... :D

Motion Picture reminds me of the clothes shops I seen in Eastern Europe.

O' Connors only sells oversized Jack & Jones rejects. Cheap yes. Cheerful no. Unfortunately, both of my arms and legs are the same length.. :confused:

Shaws is about as interesting as it gets.. but that's not saying much. :(

I ended up having to going to Blackrock which has a slightly better choice of shops..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lizzie09

They reduced the car parking charges in the DL Sc to 2e for 3 hrs until
    end January 2010

How can they not understand that the rate normally charged of 2e an hour
    would attract no one to the centre?

DL is a dead area at the best of times,.......very few decent shops...time for
    a new unput into the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

I got to college in SCD + have done for 2 years...I dread having a free hour because there is literally F-all to do there.

The shopping centre is rubbish-how are businesses there surviving??

They really should put in a Topshop/River Island/anything really! New Look only have the stuff that doesn't sell in their other stores.

Don't even get me started on the lack of nice places to eat!!

Those lights are a disgrace!

Advertisement