Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to use to close an air intake grid?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all,
    The house where I live has a hollow floor (presumably for ventilation), and the wooden panels have been damaged over the years. As a result, now we have a noticeable draft in almost all rooms, which is not so pleasant. To ensure that such draft is due to the hollow floor only, and not to other (worse) issues, like crack in the walls, I wanted to close the air intakes and see if something changes. These intakes are quite old and have no built-in closing mechanism (see attached picture, sorry for the quality).
    I was therefore wondering what could I use to close them. I was thinking of putting something in between the "gills" (don't know how to call them), but I don't know what material could do the trick (they are outside, so exposed to wind and rain). Any suggestion is welcome, thank you very much.

Note: I'm aware that these intakes are there for a reason and should ideally not be closed, but, at the moment, I have 10 degrees (Celsius) in the house (15-16 maximum with heating on) and I want to try and see if closing these vents helps in some way. House has also been built with full solid walls (no cavity, no insulation material in them), which doesn't contribute at all to keep it warm, but this is another story...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

use expanding foam or gap filler,found in any hardware store.
    this will stop draughts but the reason your house is cold is because of the solid walls and no insulation .you will still have a cold house after sealing the grills

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

gillad wrote: »
    use expanding foam or gap filler,found in any hardware store.
    this will stop draughts but the reason your house is cold is because of the solid walls and no insulation .you will still have a cold house after sealing the grills

Hi gillad,
    Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about that issue, but I wanted to try excluding the drafts and see if there's any gain. About insulation, it's true, walls are as cold as ice, but, since I'm renting, I can't do much to fix it...

Advertisement