Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British plumbing appliances and fittings

Options
  • 01-12-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a gas boiler from the UK or Newry and I'm almost sure that the fittings are slightly different. I know there are conversion fittings available but would these fittings affect the system?

If I bought the boiler in Newry would this be a British size or Irish size appliance?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Daragh86 wrote: »
    I am looking at buying a gas boiler from the UK or Newry and I'm almost sure that the fittings are slightly different. I know there are conversion fittings available but would these fittings affect the system?

If I bought the boiler in Newry would this be a British size or Irish size appliance?

Most people just change the olives to the imperial ones and that normally does the job. So just throw away the metric olive and use a 3/4 one on the water in/out pipes on the boiler...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Most people just change the olives to the imperial ones and that normally does the job. So just throw away the metric olive and use a 3/4 one on the water in/out pipes on the boiler...

That's great, thanks.

But there's no different in the boiler itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

Should be identical-Normally say UK and Ireland on the spec plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Great!

Since I'm on a roll here, anybody know much about showers?

I'm looking to put in a shower that works from mains pressure through a combi boiler but looking to put in a manual shower tap and shower head and have just seen that you can get seperate body jets. Does anybody know how these are plumbed in? Is it just a matter of putting in a tee after the manual tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Daragh86 wrote: »

Any pipe fitting you find in the UK or Ireland will be British Standard pipe thread, and that is common throughout Europe. Copper pipe will be listed in the UK as 15 mm, 22 mm etc. In Ireland, for some strange reason, it is listed as 1/2 in or 3/4 in etc. The makers of copper pipe work to ISO standards. They don't make old Imperial sizes just for Ireland:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I imported shower fitting and taps from the far east and they were not all 15mm and 22mm they were 1/2" and 3/4" as thats what i wanted and most people will want in the building industry. Boilers are 15mm and 22mm what plumbers generally do is fit english fittings and then change the olive and ring on the irish side,.

You have got to be careful when ordering showers in the uk. Hodson Reed and Home of amber have an excellent site. Additionally you need to be careful as to what shower you are ordering here. I have been away for a while but my recolection is that combi boilers like the one being spoken off cannot use standard showers that are on sale as the pressure is not strong enough from the boiler. The hot water slows down a lot as its produced on demand.A plumber more familular with the boiler will explain better.

The op wants a shower and body jets this usually requires a shower with a lot of hot water and a lot of stored water pumped at 3 bar. A combi boiler provinding water on demand will not be suitable for this. Also what ever you pay for the shower add 2k for a new pump cylinder and fitting by a plumber to get you extra water demanded by the shower and body jets.

Ordering from england and the north can work out a lot cheaper but is very reckless for the novice. A safe bet would be order bathroom furnature and pottery for there and order low pressure taps and showers here.

If you troll the hodson reed catalogues mentioned you will find taps and showers that operate at low pressure you will also find showers that can be used with combi's

A last note on combi;s most people do not understand combi;s and most combi;s can be converted to system boilers. If a plumber does not have specific instructions to make it a combi he will plumb it as a system boiler

Advertisement