Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CIAT Membership and SEI

• 01-12-2009 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

What a farce this bloody country is.

After completing a BER Non-Domestic course and exam I submitted the relevant documents for registration with SEI as a Level 4&5 assessor. The SEI website states that you need a Level 8 qualification to assess at Level 5. I have Level 7 and Level 9 qualifications. They accept that my Level 9 is way in excess of the Level 8 qualification but are insisting that I have a Level 8 qualification (still with me!).

However, from the SEI website:

Equivalent Qualifications
    SEI acknowledges the comprehensive system with which the following professional organisations apply to the qualification of its members.
    Therefore the following memberships are deemed to be equivalent to NFQ Level 8 for the purposes of registration as interim non domestic BER assessors.
    Members of Engineers Ireland (EI)
    1. Pass an interim non domestic qualifying examination and
    2. Be a member of Engineers Ireland at grade listed as follows:
    o Fellow (CEng FIEI)
    o Associate (AMIEI)
    o Chartered Engineer (CEng MIEI)
    o Ordinary Member (MIEI)
    Members ofRoyal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI)
    2. Be a member of Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) at grade listed as follows::
    o Fellows (FRIAI)
    o Member (MRIAI)
    o Associate Member
    o Architectural Technician Member (RIAI Arch.Tech)
    Members of Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCS)
    2. Be a member of Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCS) at grade listed as follows:
    o Chartered Quantity Surveyors
    o Chartered Building Surveyors

Notice the absence of CIAT.

SEI accept CIAT as part of the Professional Organisation Membership requirement but are not acceptable as a Level 8 equivalent qualification.
    I can get around this by going RIAI Arch Tech or even MIEI but I wanted to take the MCIAT option as it would be of more use if become self employed in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I am reliability informed that CIAT are working on the matter and have been for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The funny part is, you need a level 8 qualification or equivilent to get to MCIAT.

Also, RIAT (Tech) is about on par with TCIAT, not MCIAT.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the professional body part. I'd insist that they accept your level 9 quailification.

Actually, if you don't mind, what exactkly is your level 9 quailification. If its level 7 (building) and level 9 (business/management) then they are right not to accept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Warden Dios

Mellor wrote: »
    The funny part is, you need a level 8 qualification or equivilent to get to MCIAT.

Also, RIAT (Tech) is about on par with TCIAT, not MCIAT.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the professional body part. I'd insist that they accept your level 9 quailification.

Actually, if you don't mind, what exactkly is your level 9 quailification. If its level 7 (building) and level 9 (business/management) then they are right not to accept

My level 9 qualification is a MSc:Architecture: Advanced Environmental and Energy Studies. Rather relevent you would think.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My level 9 qualification is a MSc:Architecture: Advanced Environmental and Energy Studies. Rather relevent you would think.:rolleyes:

I suppsue........................:rolleyes:

Advertisement