Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 WTF

• 01-12-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Ok,
    Fuming here so sorry if I rant.

My sis has an iPhone bought from the state so it has nothing got to do with O2 Ireland.

Her phone disconnected from the network Sunday and when she called 02 they told here she had had reach €200 in the past month and her account has been disabled until she paid.
    She has tried paying twice over the phone with lase r and credit card but it will not work and they will not re instate it.

She called back today and was told by another girl that she only owe's €130.

Does anyone know anything about this limit with 02 or anyone else?

So sher bought a second 02 sim to put in while this is being sorted out and the phone wont accept that either.

It looks like 02 have blocked her phone from being used at all :mad::mad::eek:

This cannot be legal to do? The phone has nothing to do with them!!!

Can someone please advise me on what to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It doesn't seem right that O2 would block the phone in this case. Have you asked them about the phone blocking?

What troubles are you having with your Laser / Credit Card? Have you tried to make payment on the phone?

The €200 thing may be a security thing to prevent someone running up a massive bill. Has she only signed up to billpay recently?

Was the second SIM that she purchased prepay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Random wrote: »
    It doesn't seem right that O2 would block the phone in this case. Have you asked them about the phone blocking?

What troubles are you having with your Laser / Credit Card? Have you tried to make payment on the phone?

The €200 thing may be a security thing to prevent someone running up a massive bill. Has she only signed up to billpay recently?

Was the second SIM that she purchased prepay?

The phone locking was only discovered tonight so they'll be getting an ear full tomorrow and she goes to an 02 shop because the call center can't seem to do anything.

The laser and credit card are fine and used to pay over the phone before.
    She has just signed up to bill pay but as the second person said she now only owes €130 so the limit was never reached???

The second sim was purchased pre pay and is working fine in other phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The O2 shop will very likely just refer you to customer care. The shops don't make these decisions and they'll only really be a middleman. Your best option is to call 1909 between 10-5 (when all the departments are likely to be open so you can't be told anyone is closed) and discuss your issue.

Have you checked the unbilled calls online? Is the €130 / €200 charges being quoted correct? If they are would you consider paying them, getting your phone back up and running and then seeing what went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Sounds like 1st bill €130 not paid. 2nd bill €70 not over due yet.
    In this economic climate phone companies cut off people quickly.
    Your sister can pay online o2.ie also.
    No point in giving out in shop its not there fault your sister never paid her bill. She can pay bill in shop also.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

Could be wrong about this but I think I heard before that if you buy an unlocked iphone, once you plug it into the computer to update the applications it locks it back to the original network. Probably cause Apple make alot of their money as they have revenue deals with the original network! Did she update the apps lately
    Can't see how O2 would block it as if she didn't buy it from O2 they wouldn't know the serial number of the phone to block it
    On the credit problem all networks set credit limits which usually get bigger as you are with them longer and prove you pay your bills
    So it could be conincidence that both problems happened at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It also doesn't make any difference what device you are using to connect to the network, it's still O2's network.

However, it does seem that a lot of people are not fully unaware that smartphones such as the iPhone can lead to high bills as these little apps canuse alot of data without the owner being aware of it.

BrianD wrote: »
    It also doesn't make any difference what device you are using to connect to the network, it's still O2's network.
    Different o2 sim put in iphone to use it while other o2 sim is being sorted and it still doesnt work so suggests the phone itself is locked now.

She is trying to pay the bill since Sunday but as I ve said above its not working. Obvoiuslty if this was case that she didnt pay her bill I wouldnt be here writing this but its not.
    She got no warning from them just disconnected!

I was thinking that of Apple as well but it would be one hell of a coincidence that both o2 and Apple did this at the exact same time.

She ask 02 tomorrow about the phone lock. Is there any way I can check it to see how the phone is locked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can set the iphone free again using the unlock and jailbreak on http://www.iclarified.com/ there's a thread on it over in the apple media devices section of boards. Don't even waste your time going to an o2 store.
    When you do unlock it, move to a different operator and give them the 2 fingers just like the rest of the country is doing, there a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Different o2 sim put in iphone to use it while other o2 sim is being sorted and it still doesnt work so suggests the phone itself is locked now.

?

I dont think o2 can lock a phone remotely. Did you try the other o2 sim that you are trying to use in any other unlocked phone?

It may well be the case that the 2nd sim itself is not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I dont think o2 can lock a phone remotely. Did you try the other o2 sim that you are trying to use in any other unlocked phone?

It may well be the case that the 2nd sim itself is not working.

They can't lock a phone remotely (i.e. stop it from using any other network) but they can block a phone from using their network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I had a US iphone with O2 for 18 months. They knew that I had it, and they even had the IMEI number, but they never locked it. As for apps running up data, did the girl have a data plan? Did she have an iphone tarrif? I never did, so no data went through my fone. If the fone is locked, just hack it again, Its quite simple. The only idea I can think of is that your sister plugged it into her computer and on itunes hit 'Update' instead of 'Sync' button. This will lead to the phone locking itself again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Theres some missing information here that the OP is not telling us.

Using a foreign iphone: unless shes told o2 about it (which she prob hasnt) o2 cant lock it. they could blacklist it but thats only if you report it stolen, and they'd need the imei...which she probably didnt supply them. so, based on the info: locked phone: not o2's fault.

just signed up to 02 billpay: did she sign up to a sim only plan? if so she prob has no data plan, therefore huge first bill when she uses any data on the phone, again not o2's fault.

o2 prob copped that the first bill was getting out of control, put a stop to it and will reinstate her as soon as its paid. why wont her laser card work? did o2 give any reason why?

I think you need to sit your sister down and explain exactly what the iphone does, and what type of plan you need if you want to use every feature on it, simply bunging a bill pay sim into it without tailoring it to suit the phone is madness, and costly.....but hey the majority of iphone users have no idea what they're carrying....but arent they fashionable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Using a foreign iphone: unless shes told o2 about it (which she prob hasnt) o2 cant lock it. they could blacklist it but thats only if you report it stolen, and they'd need the imei...which she probably didnt supply them. so, based on the info: locked phone: not o2's fault.

Just to make you aware, once a handset makes a chargeable event on a mobile network, e.g. call, sms, data connection etc, the mobile network will have a record of the IMEI in the call record.

While it is highly doubtful that O2 have blocked this particular handset, based on the fact that it was not bought from them, it is still possible that they could have, if they so wished. With that said, I do agree with your last comment regarding the reasons for the €200 limit.

Ah ok?!?!?

So she has to wait for the direct debit on Friday for them to get there money.

I explained to here about apple and that it may not be o2.

We'll see Friday I guess to see what happens and if it was apple I ll just jail break it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You should be able to make an advanced payment just to get it up and running again right now.

Seriously though if here bills are that big she should be looking at something like Bill Pay Surf or Bill Pay Max from meteor, should save herself a lot of money over the course of the year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Ah ok?!?!?

So she has to wait for the direct debit on Friday for them to get there money.

I explained to here about apple and that it may not be o2.

We'll see Friday I guess to see what happens and if it was apple I ll just jail break it.
    If you want me to take a look at this for you please PM me your number, at least that way you won't have to wait until Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't think O2 can do anything to a phone remotely that a jailbreak and unlock could fix. Somethings not right here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd imagine this is a case of the op's sister is using an iphone but isnt on a plan with any data usage with O2, so her using the iphone caused 200 quid of data charges to show on her account, this would raise a security flag so they blocked the number and blacklisted the phone, pretty standard procedure, once the fraud team allow it back on the network get her to add a data bundle, problem solved

(all a guess)

krudler wrote: »
    raise a security flag so they blocked the number and blacklisted the phone, pretty standard procedure, once the fraud team allow it back on the network get her to add a data bundle, problem solved

I doubt it very much they would black list the phone because of a bill.I would really really hope not anyway.

It is because the bill shot up and she just moved to the bill pay with a data plan to cut down on her bills.
    She's just ****ed up with them now that she's leaving it until Friday and go from there.

Thanks lads for all your advice, obviously this all started with her running up the bill which is her fault but the main issue she had with it was the disconnection with no warning. Then when the phone wouldn't work with a second O2 sim (that is working in other phones) it really upset her.

We'll see shortly.

Thanks again.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I doubt it very much they would black list the phone because of a bill.I would really really hope not anyway.

It is because the bill shot up and she just moved to the bill pay with a data plan to cut down on her bills.
    She's just ****ed up with them now that she's leaving it until Friday and go from there.

Thanks lads for all your advice, obviously this all started with her running up the bill which is her fault but the main issue she had with it was the disconnection with no warning. Then when the phone wouldn't work with a second O2 sim (that is working in other phones) it really upset her.

We'll see shortly.

Thanks again.:(

They will, and do, if any supposed fraud or high usage is spotted then the sim is blocked and phone blacklisted, if no other sims are working in the phone then thats exactly what happened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is it possible that the phone she bought was reported as stolen ?

If so, the phone could be blocked and blacklisted by the networks.

Solair wrote: »
    Is it possible that the phone she bought was reported as stolen ?

If so, the phone could be blocked and blacklisted by the networks.

I m aware of that alright but I can't swear that the phone isn't stolen as her boyfriend bought it for her.

Krudler, I'm shocked to hear you say this as I thought the only cause for them to block a phone was at the owners request as it has been stolen.
    This is can't be it tho in all fairness as the phone is not 02's to block in the first place. :confused::confused:

Well when they get their money tomorrow and the both her new and old sim work we'll know for sure they blocked the phone too.

Something similar happened to our Blackberry accounts in work where O2 cut off all account's with no warning due to a late bill. 10 managers and 5 directors calling in to say something was wrong with their phones. My manager went through the roof and now we're with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

I'd imagine this is a case of the op's sister is using an iphone but isnt on a plan with any data usage with O2, so her using the iphone caused 200 quid of data charges to show on her account, this would raise a security flag so they blocked the number and blacklisted the phone, pretty standard procedure, once the fraud team allow it back on the network get her to add a data bundle, problem solved

(all a guess)

Id put money on it, that this is whats after happening...

(all a guess)

I don't think that's how they do it.

Normally, they'd just block the O2 account, they'd have no reason or justification to blacklist the handset unless it were reported stolen.

I mean, it's not O2's phone to blacklist in the first place.

You can ask O2 for more details, or you can also check the phone on sites like : http://www.checkmend.com/us/

(Just be careful that you don't put your details into a phishing site!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

How can you run up massive prepay charges?

gpf101 wrote: »
    How can you run up massive prepay charges?
    Who said it was prepay?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

I moved from 02 to Three on iphone and the bills are about a quarter of what they were on O2, also more web browsing and I never go over my €45 price plan.

Everything on the iphone works on the three network, skype, mesgs, maps, the lot...

Well, she paid through direct debit €130 :mad: then apparently she owed an additional €70 somehow. The first girl said they didn't lock the phone but as soon as it went through both her account and the phone were working again.
    surprise surprise.

She's gonna check with another sim now to see if the phone is unlocked and I ll be sitting down with her tomorrow to have a look at price plans with data in mind.

Thanks all for your help, I 'm still in shock they would lock the phone.

If she has any questions about the priceplans get her to contact me. I was dealing with her by email so she can contact me there if she doesn't use boards.

• Advertisement

I moved from 02 to Three on iphone and the bills are about a quarter of what they were on O2, also more web browsing and I never go over my €45 price plan.

Everything on the iphone works on the three network, skype, mesgs, maps, the lot...

Hi, how did you get skype working? Is this just skype using data, or did you manage to get skype working with 3's special network-side system?

Advertisement