Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry Marathon

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Anyone ever done it?

Im thinking of doing it next year and was just wondering if anyone has any feedback on it, its a young enough marathon and it the timing of it suits me this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

Starting training this week for Newry, anyone else doing it this year or did it before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

i did the half one year and the marathon the next,its a very well organised marathon and a nice course with good support from the few villages you go through.the second 1/2 of the mara goes along a towpath which is a little lonly if u find yirself on yir own but there are plenty of water and gel stops and dudes on bikes going along to make sure of every1s safety and the finish is very good.id recomend this 1 rather than the other 1 up the road.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ultraman1 wrote: »
    i did the half one year and the marathon the next,its a very well organised marathon and a nice course with good support from the few villages you go through.the second 1/2 of the mara goes along a towpath which is a little lonly if u find yirself on yir own but there are plenty of water and gel stops and dudes on bikes going along to make sure of every1s safety and the finish is very good.id recomend this 1 rather than the other 1 up the road.....

heard its very flat with a small field so you may end up runing alone, its actually my backup this year should anything happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is anyone doing this or the half this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Hi there. I am thinking of running Newry marathon this year. Just wondering do many do this marathon? Pretty inexperience marathon runner (having never done one) so wondering am I likely to become isolated? Would I be better off doing a bigger event? I live near enough to Newry so that is why I chose it and timing also suits. I presume the route would be signposted?
    If anyone has any experience of running it or knows much about it I'd love to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Did this in 2009. The 1st half is quite hilly so taking it easy is very important. The 2nd half is on a kind of tow path but flat. There is also the weather factor as it was very warm when I did it so caution is advised. If you are looking for loads of support forget it. However I prefer to have no support as I want to view the scenery without the distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

i008787 wrote: »
    Did this in 2009. The 1st half is quite hilly so taking it easy is very important. The 2nd half is on a kind of tow path but flat. There is also the weather factor as it was very warm when I did it so caution is advised. If you are looking for loads of support forget it. However I prefer to have no support as I want to view the scenery without the distraction.

+1, Done it in '09 myself and thats my recollection of it to. First half is a continuous series of drags uphill till you turn at halfway back for Newry and its pancake flat from here back in along the canal. Smaller crowd wise than other marathons around Ireland but i couldn't fault it in anyway in '09.

great marathon,nice course,lots of water stations,but not much spectators,,,would defo recomend it having done it 3 times..

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Will probably give it a go so. Many thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just signed up last night, looking forward to it. Very good value @ €34.

The website is a little sparse on info, do they post out the numbers?

• Advertisement

afaik u have to collect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'll drop them a mail and see what they say. I assume the collection was the day before?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Anyone doing the marathon/half this year? Nice course for a decent time, few hills 1st half and then very kindly all gradually downhill to the finish. Quiet one too, good chance you'll be by yourself for a while at some stage, 200 did the full last year, (900 did the half).

Not much info up on the website, although there usally isn't. They do mention a small course change to reduce congestion along the tow-path.

Profiles for the course.
    http://http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2201227 - full
    http://http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/99471971 - half

Entries are still open if anyone interested, I think you can still enter a few days before the run. 34 euro too about as cheap as they get. & Only an hour from Dublin, espically on a Sunday morning. Im sure you can guess its my home run :).

Just if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Myself and the brother have signed up for this. Not in the best of shape but needed a reason to train a few months back, seemed a great idea at the time!!! From what i hear its not a bad course at all.

Advertisement