Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kind of scared of getting drunk

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Well, believe it or not, but I waited until I was 18 to have my first pint. so, I never really went though all that over the top teenage drinking sessions in a field stuff.
    The stories I've heard of what people do when they're drunk really worries me. I hope I'd never be seen doing/saying something embarrassing.

Anyway, I do enjoy having a few pints, but I've never dared to go past 5 or 6. I just don't really trust myself to be drunk, 'cause I just don't know what it's like, I'm told you actually are able to control yourself, & doing/saying stupid things is slightly optional, but I don't know what to think.

it's just I've been in college since September & people are starting to do all that "go on, have another" lark to me. it's really beginning to bother me. I just don't know what to do.

Any advice is apprieciated,
    Thanks for reading.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

To be frank, **** what other people think, when i go out i drink whiskey, and am happy to stand there sipping on one for an hour while people are lashing back pints and alcopops, I never get hungover and I know when to stop, as I dont like being drunk, enough to loosen up and have a bit of craic but thats it, I have zero time for people who try to get me to pace them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You know your limits and you like to stick to them. You should be congratulated, not coaxed to exceed them.

What you're doing is just fine. Don't listen to anyone else. A simple "No thanks, I'm grand" should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Fair play to sticking to your own rules and stopping when you want...who cares what the others you go out with think! I waited until this year to drink also, but i'm 28 and know my limit, just like you i stop when i say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Don't let people pressurise you into getting drunk - sounds corny, but true. If you don't wana get wasted then don't and fair play to ya for it.

But if it's a case of being 'scared of the unknown' and you do want to get drunk but just afraid of whats going happen, then I'd say go for it. Lifes too short to be worrying about those things, and while excessive alcohol is unhealthy, there's no harm on going out on the piss every now and again! As for being scared you might say/do something stupid - we've all been there. I've had some awful nights while drunk, and I've had some of the best nights of my life absolutely hammered.

Bottom line, if you wanna get drunk get drunk. If you don't, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Tbh, it depends what you mean by drunk, no harm in getting a biit pisshjed every now and again. Its not like there's an exact single point where you are suddenly officially bolloxed drunk.
    If your really not comfortable with drinking any more than you do then just stick to what you do, but if its a case that want to try get drunk but are afraid something might happen then id go for it, you dont have to get bolloxed, just have another pint or 2 extra, and if you feel that was enough then stop, if not then carry on and get pissed.
    Its not like you will lose complete control of your whole mind and body. Granted, sometimes people say things like "I loove youu man" etc, but I dont think its a great reason to not get drunk tbh.

Sorry for not being very modern day boardsie PC like by condoning getting drunk in a PI, but at the end of the day we've all done it, and it seems hes actually scared of it, not a case of he just has no interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

I think you are to be admired for showing such maturity. Enjoy a couple of beers and know your limits. It took me until I turned 35 to realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Do not feel pressured into having extra drink when you don't want to. But don't fear being drunk. Try it once to see what it's like. You don't suddenly become drunk to the point of losing your inhibitions. Once you hit your 5/6 th drink, drink a lot slower from there and slowly push yourself a bit further. You will slowly feel different stages of being drunk, and since you are drinking slowly, nothing is going to suddenly hit you plus you can stop at any time. But to have a couple of drinks and nothing more when everyone else is hammered is nothing to be ashamed of

• Registered Users Posts: 82,914 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A healthy fear/awareness of substance abuse should never be considered a bad thing. Its kept me off of drugs, alchoholism and chain smoking so far. Had my first cigarette @ 17 and the awareness to addiction has so far kept me off of them. Its fine to have one every once in a while but I probably have bought 1 pack in the last year, and half of it always ends up in the trash or given away to a bum. 22 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You are doing it right. Most everyone else in ireland is doing it wrong so well done. Heres a tip - change to bottles. 5 Pints = 8 bottles. Bit more expensive but it will avoid getting hassle from morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Nothing wrong with knowing your limit and sticking with it. Having a fear as the guide doesn't sound healthy to me. It could be a simple as just not wanting to lose control or bigger in that there is something in particular you are afraid of losing control of.

If you stick with your fear and give it a sort of magical quality of knowing that if you cross that line you will do something terrible you give up control. Letting fear control actions is not the same as having control or making a decision. At some point you may cross the line and you may read way too much into the meaning.

Not saying go do it just clear up if it is a decision properly founded. I don't need to do heroin to decide not to do it but I am not afraid of it. You might mean nothing by your language but it is how I read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

12543 wrote: »
    I'm told you actually are able to control yourself, & doing/saying stupid things is slightly optional, but I don't know what to think.
    One of the great lies of our time is "the drink made me do it". I've been langered loads of times and don't think ive offended anyone. Ive seen people act like retards and do stupid things because that's what they're like when they're sober. If you see someone start a fight when drunk, they wanted to do it when they were sober anyway.

But of you don't fancy having another one and know your limits, thats fine! Like others said, dont feel pressured into having another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

hi op

There are so many different degrees of drunkeness out there.. Its not sober and then the next stage is being drunk and saying stupid things, its not like the switch of a button. And sometimes, for me anyway, it can depend on your form how drunk you actually can get. There are times where i can have 2 glasses of wine and be quite tipsey and other times i could be drinkin vodka all night, and be grand. We all have moments though where we go ott on the aul drink and do something stupid, and we learn from them and try not to let it happen again.
    I'm 30 and i think i have had 2 or 3 nights where ive done stupid things or embarrassed myself. Just go out and enjoy yourself. Do what you want to do, not what other people are making your or asking you to do and if you do get more drunk than usual, its ok. Just once you drink plenty of water when you get home, and that you actually get home safe, you will be ok. And just try not to make a habit of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

For me, the thought of not being in full control of myself or worse, not being able to remember things that happened is terrifying. People who say that there's no harm in it or that the best nights are the ones you don't remember are talking utter nonsense, in my opinion.

You know how much you're comfortable with. That's all that matters.

I was sitting beside a girl today who was on the phone to someone who (judging by her side of the conversation) was going to have to give up drinking. First thing she said was "OH NO! Well, you're not coming out with us anymore". Which seems to be pretty telling of the attitude towards drinking in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

You can control yourself. The best thing for you to do would be to test out your limitations, the chances of your killing yourself are very small. You shouldn't let fear prevent you from some new experience.

There is alot of talk in primary and secondary school about how horrible and terrible alcohol is but the chances are the people giving these lectures have gotten wasted more than a few times in their lives. Those talks have to be given to children, because children need to be shown how to think. But your an adult now and can make your own decisions.

Since you've gone from sober to drunk before, and from drunk to more drunk. Then it shouldn't be hard to imagine what "even more drunk" is like. You don't suddenly morph into some beast bereft of decision making capabilities.

It's fun to drink with your friends, so people saying "come on drink up" is really an attempt from them to include you in the good times. A group of people equalled smashed can be a load of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

raah! wrote: »
    But your an adult now and can make your own decisions.

Exactly. And the OP seems to have decided that he/she would rather not drink more than he/she usually does. The problem isn't that the OP isn't drinking enough. The problem is the OP's social circle and their expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Tbh OP going out and getting wasted its overrated, I've done ridiculous things and felt horrid afterwards its not worth it, and I'm talking when I was 15/16,If i could go back I would have loved to ahve your sensibility

Nothing wrong with having only 5/6 as most people would be drunk after this anyway. If people are outting pressure on you just pertend you wer drunk, they were probably to **** faced to notice themselves, thats if you want to be around people who think not getting pissed is "uncool"
    Just keep doing what yu are doing OP. A certain amount of drunk is fine even a bit fun but there is no need to get totally out of it as it ruins your night and everyone elses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

5 or 6 pints is loads of drink.

You are spot on to pace yourself and enjoy what you drink.

Maybe thats your limit for now. Think of it as natures way of helping you economise in the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Exactly. And the OP seems to have decided that he/she would rather not drink more than he/she usually does. The problem isn't that the OP isn't drinking enough. The problem is the OP's social circle and their expectations.

Well I could just as easily say that the OP "seems" to having problems with being afraid of drink. The thread is titled "kind of scared of getting drunk".

raah! wrote: »
    Well I could just as easily say that the OP "seems" to having problems with being afraid of drink. The thread is titled "kind of scared of getting drunk".
    This stupid arguing isnt helping th OP in any way really is it....

DigiGal wrote: »
    This stupid arguing isnt helping th OP in any way really is it....

And 6 pints is a good lot for a novice drinker not getting drunk

maybe the OP means getting paraletic drunk or comatose, in which case this fear is not a bad thing to have at all

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    And 6 pints is a good lot for a novice drinker not getting drunk

maybe the OP means getting paraletic drunk or comatose, in which case this fear is not a bad thing to have at all
    More stuypid arguing...Hthe OP is obviously not a novice drinker if he can drink 6 pints without getting drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

dont be a push over, its been nearly a year since last time i got drunk, and i was barely tipsy that time, and thats probably the most drunk ive ever got..... im a body builder and i do fear alcohol wrecking my protein synthesis :P hahahahaha, oh and im a heavyweight apparently, drank half a bottle of 1l vodka with like 6 or 8 red bulls

DigiGal wrote: »
    More stuypid arguing...Hthe OP is obviously not a novice drinker if he can drink 6 pints without getting drunk

I agree - did I get it right that the OP is going to college. :rolleyes:

Advertisement