Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside Boiler Smells Terribly

• 01-12-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have an inside boiler with three years, and the smell is horrible from it. I've had someone check for carbon monoxide gas etc (which is odourless I know) and they said it was fine. What im wondering is can i put an 'inside' boiler outside if I were to get a little block house thingy made up around it. The smell is heavy and my sister has this problem too, i would prefer to get it serviced and put it outside, but would this rule my house insurance null and void if anything happened with it? seeing as its an inside boiler technically.

any info would be great thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Most of these indoor oil boilers make a stink after while, as most are just a standard boiler encased in a in a room sealed casing there is no reason why you can't use it in an outside boiler house.
    When installing outside fit a frost stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

nellie07 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have an inside boiler with three years, and the smell is horrible from it. I've had someone check for carbon monoxide gas etc (which is odourless I know) and they said it was fine. What im wondering is can i put an 'inside' boiler outside if I were to get a little block house thingy made up around it. The smell is heavy and my sister has this problem too, i would prefer to get it serviced and put it outside, but would this rule my house insurance null and void if anything happened with it? seeing as its an inside boiler technically.

any info would be great thanks!

If you build a boiler house you can of course put the boiler in it but as aujopimur says make sure it has a frost thermostat fitted.
    The smell is more than likely a tiny kerosene leak that when heated (boiler running) smells to high heavens!
    I come across this a lot (service engineer), not harmful - to a point - but horrible to be in the same room!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

There is no reason to move an indoor boiler outside. You just have to pay to have it serviced properly :rolleyes:
    If an indoor boiler is set up properly and there are no oil leaks (Leaks can be fixed), it will not smell.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

HI All, I've had it serviced and it still smells, I just want the bloody thing outside now! But someone told me its 'illegal' as i would need to buy an outside boiler! thanks for the replys

It is certainly not illegal to move it outside. It will cost, to build a proper boilerhouse that won't let rain in, the pipework, and labour.
    If it is only 3 years old, it is a modern boiler and should be OK, and not smell, if serviced properly.
    Is there an oil leak ? - easy to find. Is there a flue, or a vent out through the wall ? - is it blocked ? No service engineer should walk away from a smelly boiler without at least being able to tell you why it is smelly.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

he pretty much told me it was 'in my head'!! I can definitely see some kerosene or whatever thats leaked onto the ground but how do I mop that up that it wont smell when its heated up again by the boiler?

he pretty much told me it was 'in my head'!! I can definitely see some kerosene or whatever thats leaked onto the ground but how do I mop that up that it wont smell when its heated up again by the boiler?

Kerosene that's already leaked should dry up fairly quickly. It must be still leaking if the smell is bad. Put on a rubber glove and feel around the oil filter and pipe into the burner. Also feel around the bottom of the burner. The oil will show up on the glove. If the burner is in a red box, it's a Riello G3, It has a part inside the box that regularly leaks. Or it could be a loose nut after bleeding.
    Jim.

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

bump

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

huh?

• Advertisement

whats so funny?

Why are you bumping a 2 year old thread.

why does anyone bump a thread to see if they get any new replies from people! its not a sin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

why does anyone bump a thread to see if they get any new replies from people! its not a sin!

I just found it funny that you've managed to put up with the terrible smell for 2 years and then came back to boards for help. I had a mental image of you checking the thread every day before finally deciding to bump it.
    Sorry! ;)

ha ha! now that I think of it , it does look a bit like that alright!!!! the smell went and now its bloody back with a vengance this week!!

actually Im weak laughing now because I 'googled' my problem and it came up in boards and Im like brilliant the exact problem I have, .... then I realise it was my original post two years ago! :eek:

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I just found it funny that you've managed to put up with the terrible smell for 2 years and then came back to boards for help. I had a mental image of you checking the thread every day before finally deciding to bump it.
    Sorry! ;)

Yea, and interestingly enough all they had to say was bump, nothing extra to add to it at all.

Advertisement