Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big stores prepare to open for Stephen's Day sales

Options
  • 01-12-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Move if this is in the wrong place,was on rte news tonight aswell-
    Big stores prepare to open for Stephen's Day sales

By Conor Feehan
    Tuesday December 01 2009

DUBLIN'S biggest department stores are set to cash in on the Christmas sales by opening on St Stephen's Day.

Arnotts, Clerys and Brown Thomas will all break with the tradition of staying closed on December 26.

News of the early openings means bargain-hunters could start queueing up on Christmas Day.

The stores are hoping that the move will generate revenue in a year that has seen retail sales plummet all over the country because of the recession.

Most retailers have seen figures fall by double-digits this year.

The shops will open at 10am on St Stephen's Day, closing at 6pm.

Brown Thomas will also open its Cork store, but the Limerick and Galway shops will remain shut.

British retailers Next, Debenhams and River Island are also believed to be planning to open on Dublin's Henry Street.

Profit

"In the current economic climate, we have to do everything we can to maximise sales and profit to ensure our long-term viability," said Arnotts' chief executive David Riddiford.

"Arnotts' staff have been asked to volunteer to work that day and will be paid double time," he added.

In Britain department stores have traditionally launched their sales on December 26.

Arnotts has also announced it plans to have live music and giant TV screens showing the racing from Leopardstown and English football to shoppers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Were they not planning on opening on Christmas evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

"In the current economic climate, we have to do everything we can to maximise sales and profit to ensure our long-term viability," said Arnotts' chief executive David Riddiford.

Would it not then, make more sense, than instead of overcharging shoppers in the run up to Christmas, to have a pre-Christmas sale? I'm sure that most people would be happier to pay a bit less for a Xmas pressie before Xmas day, than see it on sale at a discount just 24 hours after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Would it not then, make more sense, than instead of overcharging shoppers in the run up to Christmas, to have a pre-Christmas sale? I'm sure that most people would be happier to pay a bit less for a Xmas pressie before Xmas day, than see it on sale at a discount just 24 hours after.

The retailers know we're going to buy loads of stuff before xmas anyway so they don't need to drop the prices to entice customers into the shop. A lot of people are a bit broke after xmas so naturally they have post xmas sales.

waraf wrote: »
    The retailers know we're going to buy loads of stuff before xmas anyway so they don't need to drop the prices to entice customers into the shop. A lot of people are a bit broke after xmas so naturally they have post xmas sales.

And then they wonder why people are going North to do their shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jcrobod

I think it's ridiculous to start the sales on St. Stephens Day. People are going to go to the sales anyway, so why don't they start them on Monday 28th December. This way, everyone gets a long week-end for Christmas, the shops don't have to pay light, heat etc. they are paying their staff anyway, and they'll still get all our money on Monday instead of Saturday. Most people won't want to go out shopping on the Saturday, but we'll all be glad to get out on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

jcrobod wrote:
    I think it's ridiculous to start the sales on St. Stephens Day. People are going to go to the sales anyway, so why don't they start them on Monday 28th December. This way, everyone gets a long week-end for Christmas
    +1

All this does is to make the Christams break shorter for a lot of retail workers and their families.

+1

All this does is to make the Christams break shorter for a lot of retail workers and their families.

And the zombie retail junkies that can't leave it be for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'll be working Stephen's Day, for the whole day, unfortunately. It's only for this one year though, not a hope I'll be doing it in future.

The best thing I can hope for is that the shop is dead for the day, hopefully all shops are dead for the day and it will stop the greedy retailers carrying on like this in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Rb wrote: »
    I'll be working Stephen's Day, for the whole day, unfortunately. It's only for this one year though, not a hope I'll be doing it in future.

The best thing I can hope for is that the shop is dead for the day, hopefully all shops are dead for the day and it will stop the greedy retailers carrying on like this in future.

unfortantly i have a feeling this is the sign of the times,personally i think its bad taste and greed,turning like england now to be opened on stephens day,i dont think it will work,they will have sales up the north and people will avoid the south go north again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Just another example of what's required to keep people in a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

jcrobod wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous to start the sales on St. Stephens Day. People are going to go to the sales anyway, so why don't they start them on Monday 28th December. This way, everyone gets a long week-end for Christmas, the shops don't have to pay light, heat etc. they are paying their staff anyway, and they'll still get all our money on Monday instead of Saturday. Most people won't want to go out shopping on the Saturday, but we'll all be glad to get out on Monday.

Why is it ridiculous?? The butchers and shop in my estate opens xmas day/stephens day?? most big chain petrol station opens xmas day/stephens day.. My company is 24/7 365.. Our dept is on call all over xmas and new year..

If people want to shop let them...

If shops want to open then let them..

pubs opened stephens night too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Fred83 wrote: »
    pubs opened stephens night too...

All day, it's probably the biggest drinking day in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I whole heartedly agree, there should be a boycott of these shops for the day. Christmas used to be the one time of the year that people were entitled to spend with their families, now these greedy grinches want that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I know of a few stores doing this and they're finding it very hard to get staff to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think they're also going to find it very hard to get the customers in!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jcrobod wrote: »
    It's "incremental" as one guy said yesterday. There's a "building up" period in the sales, as people see and hear of whatever bargains. If you start one day earlier, you get more money.
    And the zombie retail junkies that can't leave it be for a few days.
    conorhal wrote: »
    I whole heartedly agree, there should be a boycott of these shops for the day. Christmas used to be the one time of the year that people were entitled to spend with their families, now these greedy grinches want that as well?
    Since when is it your problem? If other people want to shop and/or work on St. Stephen's Day, then let them. How does it affect you? Most employers won't force anyone to work on St. Stephen's Day, and if they do, the employees know what they can do.

Really a bit weirded out by the conservative attitudes shown here. Let people do what they want. You can't force families to spend time together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I thought this was already the case :confused: Suppose I never bothered to actually check it out.

Anyways I'll be working away on Stephen's day, like I have for years. Ye think people are 'zombie retail junkies', just wait until ye see them that night... Worst night of the year by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what kind of gimps will be bothered going shopping on stephens day? Like I have said, we obviously still have way too much money floating around! This bull****, with I can barely get by on 55k a year! yeah Im sure thats true if you want to keep up your celtic tiger lifestyle, but unfortunately the celtic tiger now has alzhymers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what kind of gimps will be bothered going shopping on stephens day?
    Quite a few I'd reckon.

Stephens Day falls on Saturday this year, a prime shopping day.

It's actually quite a good marketing ploy if you think about it.

TBH the shops that will open are the usual high-marque ones.

• Advertisement

There's been quite a few occasions that people *should* be at home, in my opinion, and yet are out shopping so I've no doubt that there'll be a few nutjobs out and about on Stephen's day. I'm just thankful that this is the only year I'll work it, they're the type of people you generally do not want to deal with.

If I were off I wouldn't think about going shopping, shop before Christmas, spend Christmas relaxing, enjoying good food and drink and if you want to shop then hit the January sales.

the stores are offering double time for it,i have feeling it soon fall back to time and half in later years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I doubt they'll get people in except maybe the high profile clothes stores.

Some people will be afraid of what they'll miss out on if they don't go but they probably won't go back for everyday of the sales so stors could just be distributing the same amount of sales over a longer period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

they wont get a cent of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clonard

I work in retail, and this year for the first time we have the day after Stephens day off. However, I am worried that if this trend catches on, other retail chains will attempt this as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they try it where I work, and quite frankly I DON'T WANT TO WORK ON STEPHEN'S DAY! As workers we have to band together and tell those in charge that we don't want it. WE CANNOT LET THIS HAPPEN.

clonard wrote: »
    I work in retail, and this year for the first time we have the day after Stephens day off. However, I am worried that if this trend catches on, other retail chains will attempt this as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they try it where I work, and quite frankly I DON'T WANT TO WORK ON STEPHEN'S DAY! As workers we have to band together and tell those in charge that we don't want it. WE CANNOT LET THIS HAPPEN.
    Indeed, it's a sorry sight to see shops opening on what is supposed to be a day of relaxation and family time, it's even sadder that people actually get up and go into an electronics store (where I work)...on Stephen's day. It's not as though it won't be there a few days later!

If Arnotts, BT etc have publicly announced that they're opening, it's a trend that will unfortunately catch on. Our store was open last Stephen's Day but there wasn't much fuss made over it and I certainly wasn't working, but this year the hours open are much longer so one can only hope the place is desolate and it shuts early.

However, unforuntately there's a rather bizarre element of society who will decide that they need screen cleaners on Stephen's Day.

like i said earlier,i dont think it work,im sure people will avoid the south and go up north for the sales..

Advertisement