Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concept Albums

• 01-12-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

So Rock and Metal, what are you're favourite concept albums or Rock Operas? From The Dark Side of the Moon and Tommy pretty much providing the template for great concept albums, to Operation:Mindcrime bringing it to a heavier sound, to American Idiot for making the format popular among the mainstream again.

Some of my favourite would be from Pain of Salvation, The Perfect Element part 1, Scarsick (A sequel of sorts) and Remedy Lane are all brilliantly written. Re-indroduction of themes galore in these but in a very tasteful way.

Ayreon has great Rock Operas, alot more centred on the story and executed by having different guest singers represent different characters. 01011001 and The Human Equation are his best works IMO.

And my favourite (and most likely alot of others) is Scenes From A Memory by Dream Theater. Seriously, this album is musical gold, the songs all segue together well, different themes are re-introduced and pretty much every song is brilliant. Also the story is quite a deep one so reading up on it adds another layer of awesome.

So discuss your favourite concept albums hither.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Protest The Hero - Kezia
    Kezia is a concept album, described by the band members as a "situationist requiem". The lyrics tell the story of a woman named Kezia and her execution by firing squad. The story is chronicled in the perspective of three characters: the priest who presides over her execution, one of the prison guards who is to kill her, and Kezia herself. Each character is designated a section containing three songs, with a single retrospective finale concluding the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x3sLH4G0qA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sepultura's last two have been terrific concept albums; the latest 'A-lex' which is based on A Clockwork Orange, and 'Dante XXI' based on Dante's Inferno from The Divine Comedy series. Great artwork on both as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

The Tain by Horslips..finest album by any Irish band ever, Rush - 2112Hemispheres, Jethro Tull -Thick As A Brick, Aqualung

great bands...great music :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Floyd's The Wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

one of my favourite albums, period.......absolutely love it, actually listening to it every morning on the way to work at the minute - for some reason this time of year I always listen to it a lot...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Baggio wrote: »
    , Jethro Tull -Thick As A Brick

But was it a parody or not?

Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos A barking story arc about an ancient curse controlled by a cult that is unleashed causing the outbreak of WW1 or something like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The Human Equation.... Scenes From A Memory

They were gonna be my two. Absolutely amazing albums. Particularly in Ayreon's case as there's so many different styles. Really creative.

I'll throw in Camel's The Snow Goose as well. No vocals so it's the music that contains a continual theme. Based on a novel by the same name. The song titles kinda give a timeline of sorts too, but it's a fantastic album.

Edit: Opeth's Still Life is fantastic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Who : Tommy
    Pink Floyd : The Wall
    Porcupine Tree : Fear Of A Blank Planet
    Queensryche : Operation Mindcrime
    Rush : 2112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Scenes from a Memory, Downward Spiral, and of course Leviathan.

Oh and My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life by Opeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Scenes From a Memory

The Incident

Songs for the Deaf

amongst others previously mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd agree with Rush's 2112, even though the concept title track was one side only, and side two had unrelated songs. Genesis' Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is a strong concept, but I also like albums where the concept is lighter, such as Marillion's Misplaced Childhood and Afraid of Sunlight.

The grand daddy of concept albums, to me, has to be Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes. It sold millions of copies, but music critics didn't know what hit them, and tried to take it all in at one sitting. That's like trying to read The Lord of the Rings (or watch all three extended movies) in one go, or eat a whole turkey. You need to pace yourself. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Damn it, first thing that popped into my head was Godspeed on the Devils Thunder by Cradle of Filth..

I liked Kamelots album The Black Halo, covering Ariel, Mephisto, and Ariels search for love.

Ahabs album The Call of The Wretched Sea, which is based on the legendary tale of Moby Dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Ones that I forgot...

Kalisia's Cybion. I rec'd this in the 100 must have albums and for good reason. Kalisia released a demo in 1995 and since then had been working on a 70 minute epic concept album. After years or writing and recording and problem after problem, Cybion came out in January this year.
    One 71 minute song split into parts it's a sci-fi story concerning immmortality and interplanetary fates, if that's not the meaning of epic then I don't know what is.

Musically it's similiar to Edge of Sanity and Ayreon, but with a clear Cynic and Dream Theater influence. This album is one of my favourites this year and on the best rock operas I've heard. Highly recommend for anybody that likes Progressive metal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

RayCon wrote: »
    Rush : 2112
    2112 is not a concept album, how are the likes of Passage to Bangkok and Something for Nothing in any way related to 2112? 2112 itself is a concept, but the rest of the songs don't relate to it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Mastodon - Crack the Skye.

Ayreon's stuff is fantastic also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Haven't seen Smashing Pumpkins - Adore or Metallica's Master Of Puppets yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Judas Priest-Nostradamus
    Couldnt get my head round it for a while.Saw them at PriestFeast,did some tracks off it stripped down,lots better!

Advertisement