Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best place to buy, fruit trees/bushes and trees of all sorts.

Options
  • 01-12-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I have been doing a lot of plant hunting the last few months. I've built a flower bed near my local area with some shrubs and fruit bushes. At home I've planet 4 types of berry bushes. Rasberry, Gooseberry, Blackcurrent and blackberry.

I need 2/3 Blueberry bushes for my garden. I also would like to know what kind of edible plants can I grow and keep in my garden. My back garden at home is about 50foot by 20foot. I recently brought a Eucalaptus tree recently. It's meant to grow to about 12foot max? Can I use the leaves in remedies? I seriously want to create a garden where I can have plants that I can use for my wellbeing and my family. I'm tired of this conventional go to the grocery store method for everything. I am bursting for real independance from the systematic life of hell.

All help would be appreciated. Also if anyone can give me tips on how to plant 3 miles of Daffodils on a roadside in easy time it would be terrific.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some of the smaller family run type garden centers can be better value with things like fruit trees/shrubs. We got some really good bargains at one during the summer plus some freebies.

I try to buy useful plants and trees nowadays so you get the best of both worlds, you get to fill the garden with stuff and are able to save a bit of cash in the long run by using the plants.

The cheapest and most useful plants and easiest ones are herbs they'd be the kind of thing you find you would use more and more of over time.

Sage would be a good one for this time of year and it's a nice plant as well.
    Rosemary is brill. although buy a good sized one.

Other stuff we planted or that's in the garden that's handy.

Apple & pear trees.
    Rosemary, sage, lemon balm, oregano, thyme, apple mint (spreads like mad though), a bay tree (very handy for stews/casseroles etc).
    Blackberry..great if growing apples as well yum yum.
    Rhubarb (although it's been neglected atm).
    Hazel nut trees (only around a tenner each and they look lovely too).
    Nasturtiums
    Roses, petals can be used to make stuff.

My favourite purchase over the summer was the hazel nut trees and a hazel..can't remember the proper name, it's corkscrew type lovely shapes on it.

What about veggies purple broccoli looks nice and is useful in the kitchen and easy to grow. Think you can grow broccoli year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

http://www.futureforests.net/default.htm

Great service and prices are spot on...
    Have dealt plenty with them and have more to order...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

+1 for futureforests, excellent service.......would also recommend
    irishseedsavers.ie for for their selection of heritage apple and pear trees and also their selection of seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Twisty hazel => Coriolis contorta

Again have to agree that future forests is a great resorce, If you are into medicinal herbs comfrey is easy to grow and is very effective for bruises sprains and strains and can't be bought over the counter anymore (the conspiracy theorist in me reckons it's because it works ;) )

Also propagation is worth considering, if you know someone with a plant you are interested in taking a cutting and propagating it can be interesting and develops a new skill.

Purple broccoli is quite a large plant, it takes a year to grow (ie. plant in march to eat the following march) and is prone to brasica pests (club root etc...) which make it a handful on a small plot such as yours. If I were to recommend veg, i'd go for spuds in a barrel, a lean to greenhouse for tomatoes (totally different flavour) and chillies, herbs are a must,and a succession of salads. If you have a wall/fence peas and climbing beans (they'll fruit next door, they always do, it's just a rule, but take very little space).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

the poor hasill tree has been forgoten, look up these names on google. if you goole the botanical name of any plant and click images, then you can hav funn planing your garden, try "corylus avellana" and " corylus contorta" and "corylus colurna" , " corylus maxima purpurea " hav fun.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement