Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DressMaking Course??

• 01-12-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey i've been thinking of doing a dress making course not fashion design and i was wondering if anyone nows a good place in Dublin Thanks! Xx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Hey i've been thinking of doing a dress making course not fashion design and i was wondering if anyone nows a good place in Dublin Thanks! Xx

A friend of mine just finished a dressmaking course in the Grafton Academy near Baggot St. and loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

OP I got a really good book/workbook off Amazon called "Sew everything workshop". It's a ring binder with loads of lessons in, and there's a pouch containing 10 patterns for dresses, trousers etc, and there are step-by-step lessons to show you how to make each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Moved from F&A to A&C. Hopefully you'll get a quicker response here.
    (Mods, bounce it back to me if ye see fit. TY.)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

I did an 8 week dressmaking course with Roisin Cross Silks in Dun Laoghaire and really enjoyed it - the teacher is great and the atmosphere was lovely, especially compared to some evening courses I've done (they have evening and daytime). The only thing is it's kind of expensive but they do include up to €80 worth of silk with that. They show you how to make and adjust a mock up as well. If you do go there, I'd recommend calling by beforehand to take a look at their material to make it easier to choose a pattern.
    I don't think you could go wrong with the Grafton Academy either.

It really helps to have a teacher if you've never done it before because sometimes just reading the instructions can be really confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Hey, my friend teaches an evening dressmaking course out in Ringsend Technical Institute. It's 10 weeks and costs €80.

She always sells out as she's a really brilliant teacher, not bossy or old fashioned. I was talking to a girl who was doing her course, she didn't know her tutor was my friend, and she was raving about it.

Grafton is great but seriously expensive :(

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement