Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English-Expression

Options
  • 02-12-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi, im doing higher level on some of my stuff im getting back is that i need to improve on my expression. I know to improve this is to read but finding it difficult to find time these days to read books...so does anyone know any good books but are short? Or any other ways to improve expression?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Reading one good book now is not going to improve your expression. I presume you're being marked down under L for Language.

First, start with your punctuation. Your actual post would be a good start-capital letters, full stops, apostrophes and commas are all missing. Google some punctuation exercises or check your textbook.

Second: the most common error that students make is writing sentences that are too long. The longer they are, the more scope there is for error. Often, students have forgot the point of their sentences by the time they get to the end of them.

Third: students very often don't read back over their work and spot errors. They wait for the teacher to do that for them. In the exam, that'll be an examiner docking you marks. Reread your work, repeatedly.

What you can do is read a few newspaper articles a day, there are plenty available online. Also, try typing up your work and using the spelling and grammar check - that'll pick up some of the obvious errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Read constantly and consistently. The large majority of people I know that do well in English read all the time. It doesn't have to be fiction or even a book in general.
    Even reading the posts on some of the more serious forums here will teach you many useful phrases.
    In your tests be articulate and it is not quantity that gets you an A (Although it does help). Reread your work and any language which looks plain should be replaced with more expressive and articulate language.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi, i was doin a comprehension question and it was to do with the writer styles....but i can only remember a few headings like language, content...does anyone know the other styles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hi, i was doin a comprehension question and it was to do with the writer styles....but i can only remember a few headings like language, content...does anyone know the other styles?
    Do you mean the (c) that usually pops up? Usually along the lines of "identify three features of the writer's style".

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

theowen wrote: »
    Do you mean the (c) that usually pops up? Usually along the lines of "identify three features of the writer's style".
    Yes

• Advertisement
Advertisement