Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm 19 and want to do my Leaving Cert .

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You might find your old school helpful.

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Fiona19 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Is there anyway I could study at home and then sit the exams at a school or is there any adult courses .....

you can study at home and apply to do the exams as an external student via www.examinations.ie . However with studying at home there may be complications with any subject that requires experiments done or projects.
    Having said that you can do at home: irish, english, maths, a third language, any of the business subjects, classical studies. There's probably a few others.

There's an adult repeat course in plunketts in whitehall anyway I think but that might be everyday attendence. There's night classes as well in individual subjects in VECs around the country. What part of the country are you in? You might get info on www.qualifax.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fiona19

I am in Ireland Co Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fiona19

Hi All
    I am 19 years old and would like to do my leaving cert...
    I dropped out of school when i was 16 .
    I am just wondering what route should i go about doing it..
    I dont really want to go back to school.
    Is there anyway I could study at home and then sit the exams? how do I find out what to study ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi Fiona,

you will probably get more response in the thread you started in Teaching & Learning ... while a couple of teachers do drop in here, most regulars here are LC students in the 15-18 age bracket.

It might be worth contacting the local Adult Guidance Service (065 6824819) ... they would probably be in a position to talk to you about best / closest options. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hey if you don't want to go to school you could try your local Vocational centre (I think they have a proper name) they basically run LC courses for people who are repeating or who dropped out early so you'd be in the same boat as a lot of similar people.

You could probably study at home, depending on your motivation and how well you want to do. You might find you need a teacher to explain stuff to you and also some work has to be done under a teacher's supervision and be signed off by the teacher, so I think you're better off going to your local vocational school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact these people
    Clare Learning Network
    They will know what is available in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Eva990

I dropped out of school when I was 17. I'm 19 now and have been studying my leaving cert at home since september 2009. I'm doing it through Kilroys College. If you have the money and really are serious about sitting the exams then I'd advise you to go to this site http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/
    If you contact them now you can sit your exams in june 2011 (when I'm sitting em :D). I'm doin 6 subjects (eng, irish, biology, business, spanish and maths).
    Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do :)

Eva990 wrote: »
    I dropped out of school when I was 17. I'm 19 now and have been studying my leaving cert at home since september 2009. I'm doing it through Kilroys College. If you have the money and really are serious about sitting the exams then I'd advise you to go to this site http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/
    If you contact them now you can sit your exams in june 2011 (when I'm sitting em :D). I'm doin 6 subjects (eng, irish, biology, business, spanish and maths).
    Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do :)

That's cool. Best of luck. Where are you doing your biology experiments?

pathway33 wrote: »
    That's cool. Best of luck. Where are you doing your biology experiments?

Well I've already done half the exp's back in school but the rest am just learning without doing but shhh about that lol :p

• Advertisement

Well I've already done half the exp's back in school but the rest am just learning without doing but shhh about that lol :p

mums the word :D. You know about the leaving cert biology experiments some of the colleges run around this time of year? NUI Maynooth do it anyway. Best have a lab book filled in anyway in case an inspector calls. Unlikely though. There's a DVD out with the experiments on it.

Well I already have a lab book filled up so I'm good. Won't get caught...I hope hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Well I already have a lab book filled up so I'm good. Won't get caught...I hope hehe

Aren't you supposed to sign off for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fyounes

Hello,
    my name is Farah I am 19 years old, live in France and studying for the Leaving cert on my own (external cand) . I was just wondering where I can get the CD for the experiments in Biology ? Is there any for Chemistry and Physics ?
    I don't have any of my notes any more.
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭justaday

19 is fine, in france it is not uncommon for people to be 21 by the time they leave school. because if you fail a year you have to do the year again.

sorry farah idk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fyounes

yeah i knw but I already have my French baccalaureate and I am sitting the Leaving Cert. there are some experiments that you did and that we didn't do and vice versa. I just need them to fill my notebook in case an inspector wants to check them.
    if anyone can help that would be great

fyounes wrote: »
    yeah i knw but I already have my French baccalaureate and I am sitting the Leaving Cert. there are some experiments that you did and that we didn't do and vice versa. I just need them to fill my notebook in case an inspector wants to check them.
    if anyone can help that would be great

on www.youtube.com if you google 'leaving cert physics' you should find a school in dublin (cabinteely i think) that has uploaded a lot of the physics experiments and results

Advertisement