Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much communion money did you get?

• 02-12-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

I got £120 in 1997.

A biggish amount at the time but not enormous!

So, how much did ye get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm Jewish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Please nobody say three-fifty or three-fiddy, for the love of Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

£50 in eh, what age do you make your communion? Early nineties.

Invested into an EBS account where "magic murty made my money multiply".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

£135.

I think it was back in 1996.

I really shouldn't have forgotten that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Think I made 400 pound back in 96' was great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

stovelid wrote: »

Yeah, all those replies go here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752799

I think I must have got around £100 pounds. Blew it all on tapes, those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

stovelid wrote: »

Can someone please explain this three fiddy thing to me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭DaveSlats

€200,000 in 2005.

Well, it was the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

I'm Jewish.

so you still have it saved right?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I dunno. My parents took it off me to "mind" it. Never saw it again. :mad:

However my best friend got £150, and I swear to god, no exaggeration, we spent every last penny of it on Lucky Bags. 50p a go, we went to the shop ever single day for the following 150 days and bought ourselves a Lucky Bag each. And we both still agree, it was the best money we (she!) ever spent!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I work in Centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

4 shilling and tuppence. With it, I bought some broth & stale bread and ate them by candlelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know. I remember the exact date (17th May 1997) but no idea how much I made. Probably not as much as my classmates as my family are nearly all atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm Jewish.

So you still have it and loan it out at outrageous interest rates? :p

Got about IR80 in 1988 , twas a fortune to me at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Christ I feel old - a long long time ago before the 1990s we dealt in pounds & old pence ..... I think it was about 30 pounds...... & it was still in the beehive account by the time I was putting the confirmation money in....

I have a little angel making his in May - no doubt there will be more zeros on the end of his than my communion & confo money combined ....

jenzz wrote: »
    Christ I feel old - a long long time ago before the 1990s we dealt in pounds & old pence ..... I think it was about 30 pounds...... & it was still in the beehive account by the time I was putting the confirmation money in....

I don't remember a beehive account, was that Irish Permanent?

Did you have a Henry Hippo Ulster Bank a/c? :)
    With your free Henry Hippo savings box, all the cool kids had this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Enough to buy roller-blades and no more

Bauer FX-1.

Lethal times

The Beehive was in the one before it was First Active - Could have been Irish permemant actually but so long ago I can remember - You were cooler than the henry hippo peops cos you got a beehive school bag..

Long long ago it was so cool to be in a bank with a real bank account ... so cool you even advertised the fact on your back evey day... hmmm how the times have changed... Now the kids dont even get a bloody bank book to record their money in - 6 years of age & her account is " online" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

£140 pound 1997:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

I got about £120 in 1997 it went straight into the post office account but it eventually got spent on the likes of anything glittery or a bit of wally's world

good times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

£100 punts, back in the 90's. Can quite remember when though...can't remember what i spent it on. I think i "saved" it or something dumb like that, well it was more like my parents "saved" it!

The Beehive was in the one before it was First Active - Could have been Irish permemant actually but so long ago I can remember -

Now that I think of it, you're correct. First Active was the Beehive offer
    You were cooler than the henry hippo peops cos you got a beehive school bag..

Blasphemy!
    Nobody was cooler then Henry Hippo :cool:
    Now the kids dont even get a bloody bank book to record their money in - 6 years of age & her account is " online" lol

Ah the old bank books. They are still around, it's mainly elderly people using them. But anyone can use them, it's no issue for the bank staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I got about £300 back in 1991.

I spent some of my money in one of those shops in my town that sells everything. Bought some model airplanes to build myself, a football on an elasticated string that was attached to a belt you wore, a few dandy comics, and some merlin football stickers to put in an album.

With some of the other money I bought 2 houses and 10 acres of land and then I spent the rest of it bribing my local TD to get the land rezoned.

Money sure did go further back then :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I feel hard done by, when I was growing up I wasnt allowed celebrate anythin.

No communion.
    No christmas.
    No birthdays.
    No easter.
    No St. Whoever's day.

Im owed a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

29 pound in 77 or 78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Christ I feel old -.

Same here :)

1987 it was and I thought I was Don Johnson. Every guy had a jacket with the sleeves rolled up, skinny tie, slip-ons and white socks. We looked like a cross between Miami Vice and a Madness Gig.

No idea how much I got. Enough to buy Billy Idol's Rebel Yell I think.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Same here :)

1987 it was and I thought I was Don Johnson. Every guy had a jacket with the sleeves rolled up, skinny tie, slip-ons and white socks. We looked like a cross between Miami Vice and a Madness Gig.

No idea how much I got. Enough to buy Billy Idol's Rebel Yell I think.

Feeling even older now - I was a pre 85 & my sister wore a dickie bow to my communion - white shoes werent even around back then - black patent were the novelty. & a pound note in the bag was a massive heist from anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Feeling even older now - I was a pre 85 & my sister wore a dickie bow to my communion - white shoes werent even around back then - black patent were the novelty. & a pound note in the bag was a massive heist from anyone

Yeah, remember my brother's patent.

I did get big into Suede a few years later - thought I was Jon Bon Jovi with me brown suede chelsea boots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

48 punts in 1995, the lowest in my class. Stingy relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

£565 in 1997, great going.

Spent every penny of it on Star Wars Micro-Machines, the bases for them and all the gear. Still have them all in the house somewhere. The amount of fun I had with them, fighting ''wars'' all over the place means it was well spent!:D

Oh, and I always let The Empire win! Evil little shíte that I was back then!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jeasus - its been that many decades ago that I can't even remember the day, never mind the money. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What i got for my communnion kids now get for pocket money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

£140 in 1996.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

80 quid in 1989.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Got about 150-200 IIRC in '92. Ah them were the days, blew most of it on NES games to.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

£45 in 1996. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i got 42 big ones in 1986. opened a beehive account too. closed it in 94 and it had grown to about 55 squid, enough to buy a pair of runners so that i could blend in with the cool kids. but i didn't get them in the end. i just had to be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

£45 in 1996. :(

ha. not so smug then are ya?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Just north of £100 in 1986

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I got £74 in 1990, my first purchase was a pink skipping rope I'd been hankering for :D simple times :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

God ye're all so young!

My Communion was in 1987 and I can't remember how much I got. It all went into a savings account anyway, which I spend on a cd player when I got a wee bit older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I didn't get any money at all. I remember being quite shocked when I heard that everyone else gets money for it (and even more shocked when I heard that some kids go around begging to all their neighbours).

But I'm not bitter. My parents gave me something a hell of a lot cooler than money and it made me a god amongst my friends: http://www.dukenostalgia.com/Kscope/Mask/Images/Mantaboxfront.JPG

MASK kicks ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

ha. not so smug then are ya?!!

I suppose not. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I dunno. My parents took it off me to "mind" it. Never saw it again. :mad:
    My Ma did that. It was only about £7, maybe a tenner. When I went back to her later, she said that she'd already spent it on me. I was confused, as I hadn't received anything new, so I questioned her further about it. She'd spent it on food. Cheeky wagon! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

£245 in 1996, put £100 in the bank for my my holidays, gave my mam £20 for petrol cos of all the driving around she did on the day (extremely considerate for an 8 year old!) and spent the rest on a CD player (which was exactly £87) and some clothes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

DazMarz wrote: »
    £565 in 1997, great going.

Spent every penny of it on Star Wars Micro-Machines, the bases for them and all the gear. Still have them all in the house somewhere. The amount of fun I had with them, fighting ''wars'' all over the place means it was well spent!:D

Oh, and I always let The Empire win! Evil little shíte that I was back then!:D

George Lucas loved you so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

I got about £300 back in 1995 - The joys of having a huge extended family!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Got £23 back in '87/'88. I was fooking minted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

180pounds. Lasted me about 3 years:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mikemac wrote: »
    So you still have it and loan it out at outrageous interest rates? :p

Got about IR80 in 1988 , twas a fortune to me at the time

Young whipper snapper, I was serving on the Israeli/Lebanese border in 1988!.

• Advertisement
Advertisement