Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Bite

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I hope someone can help. I've been trying to find info 'googling' all night on this but it's a bit unclear.

I got bitten yesterday by a stray kitten I took in on Sunday. I had it at the vet yesterday and it's on a course of antibiotics for cat flu. It's more than likely not vaccinated as it was abandoned in my town a month ago (according to the business I found it outside).

I had to put ear drops in last night and the kitten did not appreciate it and bit and scratched me. It has sharp teeth and I have a few puncture wounds. I cleaned them out and put a sterile ointment on them.

Is there anything I can catch from a cat? Should I go to the doc? I a bit strapped for cash at the moment so if I can avoid the docs fee it would be great!

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Sorry dont know the answer to this one myself but maybe if you asked the vet they might know. I would imaging its something they have to deal with as part of their own practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shneb

Thank you, that's a good idea. I didn't think of it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Shneb

Cat bites can get infected very easily and cause you a lot of trouble. However, it does depend what sort of bite or scratch you have.

I use a solution of 2% hydrogen peroxide to clean my cat-related scratches and have never had a problem with infection. However with a deep puncture bite (anything that isn't just a graze), I would go straight to either my doctor or my emergency department and have the wound cleaned and get a course of antibiotics.

Grazes or scratches that are not deep should be fine if they're cleaned and you use an antibacterial salve or ointment to promote healing, but seriously, a deeper scratch or bite should be treated immediately. If you're procrastinating because of money, watch the wound closely for swelling, redness, oozing, puffiness, and tightness of the skin or stiffness of a joint at or near the wound site (but frankly you're playing a dangerous game if you're waiting for those symptoms before going to the doctor).

Hi The Sweeper

The puncture wounds are not too deep (it's only a kitten) but still enough to hurt. My hand is a bit stiff so I'm feeling a bit foolish now for not getting it seen to.

Know it sounds lame but am out of work and smashed! But the saying goes "your health is your wealth" so I'll ring the vet and go to the doctor tomorrow.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Paulobrien

Hi,

Whilst for all the legal reasons etc I agree with all that has been said.......

I read what you said and would add an IN GENERAL comment...

I am in Cats Aid and feed on the streets every night (homeless Cats)

I (and many members) have beeen bitten many times over the years.

I assume you washed it after the kitten bit you. If so (and u are concerned about money) I (if it were me) wouldnt bother at all going to a doctor...
    Most doctors wont have a clue anyway... I carry a paper with me telling about symptoms from Cat Bites, but Ive never needed to use it.

Trust me. the only symptoms u would possibly get (only within 24 hours) is a little sweaty or slight mood change ... and this will naturally pass anyway.

I have to do the Government Health Warning and tell you to go to the doctor lol... but Im telling you I dont and I know a lot of people who dont either, Id bet money u will be grand

Thanks so much for helping the kitten :)
    Join us on the web at www.catsaid.org or thru facebook via Cats Aid Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

Hey, I feel your pain. I'm mainly a dog person myself but found a cat trapped in my garage. Foolishly thought I could just pick it up and bring it outside :eek:
    Cat went nuts and bit me and scratched me (and wee'd on me!)

Bite got infected and was resentful to pay doc to have a look, luckily I have a good relationship with my chemist and he gave me a topical antibiotic cream, cleared it up straight away

Memo to me - cats are not little dogs!

Thanks to everyone for comments.

I went to the doc this am before reading all replies. Anyway, doc was great (I must be one of the lucky ones) as she only charged me €10 to see her as I told her I wasn't even going to come in.

She checked me over, slight temp but nothing more. Gave me a prescription for antibiotics only to take if I get 'sick'. Had cleaned the wound well so I was grand.

The message I take from all of this is to be more careful in handling stray or wild animals. It won't stop me helping them tho. I read in the paper today about a kitten found in the dodder that was in a bag. It's two siblings had already drowned. Makes me mad that people are so cruel. It takes very little money and effort to look after a cat. Vet bills can even be negotiated if it's bad. I did.

Hope getting the bite in the first place didn't put anyone off helping a needy animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Shneb - good on your doctor. Am glad to hear that you'll be okay (though I have to admit I raised my eyebrows at the fact that you even had a slight raised temperature - cat bites really are a bloody problem.) It is a tough call to make re seeing the doctor - but it's not about the things you can catch from the cat, it's just about the risk of a straight up infection that can be very damaging. Cats have pretty filthy mouths. There's a lot of bacteria in a cat's mouth and it's not good if that gets transferred to you through an open wound.

I know a breeder here who ended up hospitalised for weeks with IV antibiotics because she ignored a cat bite on the heel of her hand - nearly lost the use of the hand as well. And it was one of her own purebreeds that bit her, not some stray with a dubious disease.

If you're going to keep handling strays, get a thick pair of gardening gloves to try reducing the damage. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Anyone with animals should also make sure they are up to date with their tetanus shots. You can get tetanus from the soil entering a deep wound, but somehow animals can also pass it on to you.
    Just got mine done about a month ago. I went to the nurse at my local medical centre (thinking i would save money by skipping the doctor), but it costed 40euro anyway. You only need the shot once every 10 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

dear op
    Very good of you to take on the stray kitten. Sorry about the pain.
    When having to treat any kitten or cat that tends to bite and scratch the use of a thick towel to wrap the kitten up in is always helpful. Logically all but the head is wrapped in the towel. its a bit like wrapping a baby in the towel so that all arms and legs and those tiny claws are enclosed snug inside the blanket and then its just the head showing. Giving a treat after the medications etc are done is a good practice. But remember even though wrapped up do still be careful and if it gets out of the towel wait abit and try again later.
    good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement