Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

integrating ableton in my decks setup

• 02-12-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm gonna mess around with ableton in my mixes over the xmas holidays

not sure what I can do with it as I never use it but

I guess I could drop random samples, sound affects and spoken words etc.

is it viable to use it as a third deck?

i.e.

can I adjust tempo and nudge tracks to the extent where I could beatmatch 'em with my decks or is it to much hassle?

I'm assuming I could adjust tempo by assigning it to a slider on my controller and nudge the track forward and back by assigning it to a knob?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

rayhartjnr wrote: »

i.e.

can I adjust tempo and nudge tracks to the extent where I could beatmatch 'em with my decks or is it to much hassle?

I'm assuming I could adjust tempo by assigning it to a slider on my controller and nudge the track forward and back by assigning it to a knob?

You can tap tempo and nudge alright, but you're as well off just getting a sampler if you just want to trigger one-shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayhartjnr

jimi_t wrote: »
    You can tap tempo and nudge alright, but you're as well off just getting a sampler if you just want to trigger one-shots.

yeah I do wanna trigger one shots but as well;

I'd like to use it to play full tunes,

i imagine it would be to clumsy for it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

yeah I do wanna trigger one shots but as well;

I'd like to use it to play full tunes,

i imagine it would be to clumsy for it though?

Not at all, just complete overkill. Something like Virtual DJ might suit you better.

jimi_t wrote: »
    Not at all, just complete overkill. Something like Virtual DJ might suit you better.

Yeah was thinking that

I'll give it a shot anyway when I get these stinkin' exams behind me

never thought of usin' a sampler; might try the ESX24 in mainstage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

i.e.

You could use it as just a sampler throwing in vocal clips etc, however,
    I've been using it like a third deck for a good while and find it Very easy to use.
    It depends on how technical you are and what external controllers you use, I've got both the launchpad and an Oxygen 8 keyboard.
    Ideally if you've got a midi controller with rotary knobs on it you can map the tempo controls. There are 2 settings on the tempo a course and fine tune control.
    If your mixer has a BPM counter just key that into the main tempo window and you can fine tune it with the knob you've mapped to the fine tune, thats how I use it anyway. Your spacebar is the launch button so you still need to be able to launch the start on time (like using vinyl) but you can adjust with the fine tune again to catch up or slow down the loop.
    I've also seen people use it as an effects processor, feeding the decks through ableton before going to the mixer, but you'd need a really good soundcard with zero latency otherwise it would make mixing difficult.
    If you want any details on any of the above just PM me

• Advertisement

You could use it as just a sampler throwing in vocal clips etc, however,
    I've been using it like a third deck for a good while and find it Very easy to use.
    It depends on how technical you are and what external controllers you use, I've got both the launchpad and an Oxygen 8 keyboard.
    Ideally if you've got a midi controller with rotary knobs on it you can map the tempo controls. There are 2 settings on the tempo a course and fine tune control.
    If your mixer has a BPM counter just key that into the main tempo window and you can fine tune it with the knob you've mapped to the fine tune, thats how I use it anyway. Your spacebar is the launch button so you still need to be able to launch the start on time (like using vinyl) but you can adjust with the fine tune again to catch up or slow down the loop.
    I've also seen people use it as an effects processor, feeding the decks through ableton before going to the mixer, but you'd need a really good soundcard with zero latency otherwise it would make mixing difficult.
    If you want any details on any of the above just PM me

sounds good

using ableton as an effects processor sounds especially nifty!

I'll be using; a m audio profire 610, novation sl mkII and djm 600 and a macbookpro

so it should be able to do all the stuff you mention

I've no real knowledge of ableton but I'm sure with a bit of trail and error I'll get it goin'!!

Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Pingu-D

Live can be really nice to use as a dj tool...iv all but retired my decks (im a romantic at heart) if you have a couple euros to spear and ur serious bout using ableton as a dj tool get the novation launchpad its €165 or there abouts....youtube it and see if thats anyway a kin to what your looking for!

Advertisement