Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psp modding

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi, i have a psp and have had other consoles but never had any modded but read somewhere on the internet if you dont mod you psp your not getting the best out of it.I was just wondering if you could help me, what would be the difference if i get it modded and is it worth doing :confused: thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Without doubt, the psp is much better when its modded. It opens it up to homebrew, emulators, apps, you name it.

As for actually modding it, you should do some research on it. A good place to start might be here

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

I also have a phat psp got it when it was released and have not used it in over a year. Im on official firmware 5.50, is there a way to install a custom firmware on this without using a pandora battery? I basically wana get nintendo emulator running on it

SeanyMc22 wrote: »
    I also have a phat psp got it when it was released and have not used it in over a year. Im on official firmware 5.50, is there a way to install a custom firmware on this without using a pandora battery? I basically wana get nintendo emulator running on it

I'm afriad not. I think 5.03 is the last firmware that was directly exploitable. You will need a pandora unless a newer exploit comes out

animaX wrote: »
    I'm afriad not. I think 5.03 is the last firmware that was directly exploitable. You will need a pandora unless a newer exploit comes out

dammit i only upgraded to 5.50 coz i planned on selling it!
    really wana get an emulator up and running but im too much of a chicken to mod my Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Without doubt, the psp is much better when its modded. It opens it up to homebrew, emulators, apps, you name it.

As for actually modding it, you should do some research on it. A good place to start might be here

Thanks for all the help animax, i modded it after going to the link you provided. I'm playing a mario game i haven't played in years since i had the snes thank you very much.

• Advertisement

mixed up wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help animax, i modded it after going to the link you provided. I'm playing a mario game i haven't played in years since i had the snes thank you very much.

what firmware did you have when you modded it?
    also did you use a pandora battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

what firmware did you have when you modded it?
    also did you use a pandora battery?

I had version 2.81 and didn't have to use a pandora battery i just followed the link animax gave me and had to update to version 5.03.

dammit i only upgraded to 5.50 coz i planned on selling it!
    really wana get an emulator up and running but im too much of a chicken to mod my Wii

To be honest, wii modding is even easier!! You should try that for sure. Read this. You couldn't possibly go wrong with Bannerbomb!
    mixed up wrote: »

No problem, great stuff! I recommend the neo geo emulators, capcom play system emulators, and the final burn alpha emulator (as well as the snes, megadrive etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I haven't modded my psp because I'm worried it could get bricked. Don't trust a pandora's battery bought off the internet. Don't like the idea of installing 3rd party firmware, and updating it the whole time to be able to play new games.

I dislike the way Sony seem to have made it as awkward as possible to use the psp as an ebook reader, without modding it. If you want it to read pdfs or other ebook formats than text or html, you need to mod it. I believe this is because Sony don't want to detract from sales of their very expensive ebook readers.

I experimented with methods to convert ebooks to html, text or compatible images to get around this. I didn't get good results with the first two approaches, but I am very happy with the results I got using free software to convert text files into jpgs optimised for the psp. I posted a link to the software and the configuration I used to get the good results on the psp hints and tips thread. I'm reading an ebook on it over the last few days and I find it a very nice format to read - better than an actual book in numerous ways. The issues I still have with it are an inability to bookmark your place, and the use of jpgs over pngs - I was only happy with the results of lossless jpgs, which means bigger filesize. I think pngs would have given equivalent results in smaller files.

Anyway, I might have tried modding the psp in order to use it as an ebook reader, if I had not found an acceptable workaround. I am happy with the workaround so far though, so I won't mod it, because I'm worried it might get bricked.

pwd wrote: »
    I haven't modded my psp because I'm worried it could get bricked. Don't trust a pandora's battery bought off the internet. Don't like the idea of installing 3rd party firmware, and updating it the whole time to be able to play new games.

Anyway, I might have tried modding the psp in order to use it as an ebook reader, if I had not found an acceptable workaround. I am happy with the workaround so far though, so I won't mod it, because I'm worried it might get bricked.

If you're following a good enough guide and you read it very carefully then it should not brick. I agree with dodgy pandora's over the internet but if its a brand name (i think Datel make what they call a "tool battery") then it is definitely reliable. Custom firmware is not actually a 3rd party firmware as such, it is exactly the same firmware that sony releases minus the security checks and signature authorisation. They even use sony's own in-built installer!

Agree, updating for newer games can be a pain but that comes with modding anything. Glad you got the ebooks working, never really tried it myself although I have viewed a few comics on the psp

• Advertisement

any links of where I can buy a pandora battery for cheap that is reliable, dealextreme.com have em but not sure if i trust em

any links of where I can buy a pandora battery for cheap that is reliable, dealextreme.com have em but not sure if i trust em

You could always try amazon

You could always try amazon

ahh yes but now il have to get something else to qualify for super saver delivery! credit cards burning..
    amazon is twice the price of other sites but im assuming much more reliable?

ahh yes but now il have to get something else to qualify for super saver delivery! credit cards burning..
    amazon is twice the price of other sites but im assuming much more reliable?

To be honest, I would have thought dealextreme would be reliable, I've heard of them before. But I'm not sure if their batteries are brand name (I didn't see the datel name). Might still be fine nonetheless.

I might just go for a dealextreme one so, I have a sandisk 1gb and a 2gb sony magicgate, will these work fine or do i need to have certain files installed on them? if so should i buy a battery and mem stick with these files installed?

I might just go for a dealextreme one so, I have a sandisk 1gb and a 2gb sony magicgate, will these work fine or do i need to have certain files installed on them? if so should i buy a battery and mem stick with these files installed?

I think 1gb will be plenty. You can install the files on the memorystick yourself, no need to buy one pre-installed. Just check out the link i posted earlier, it will show you how to turn the memorystick into a "magic memorystick".

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i have this a year and a half no probs good price and this 3 years modded 100+psp,s no probs at all highly recommend them post is a bit slow 10 days if ur lucky

massy086 wrote: »
    i have this a year and a half no probs good price and this 3 years modded 100+psp,s no probs at all highly recommend them post is a bit slow 10 days if ur lucky

is this the one you have? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472

I ordered that for a fiver ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

ye sorry never put in the link lol there great

Lads got my Pandora batt today, but cant find anywhere that shows how to hack the psp using a mac, the only one i found was this kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJwTDgYCZw but the file he gives in his link is corrupt,
    anyone know a link on hacking a fat psp using a macbook?

• Advertisement
Advertisement