Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

This might seem a very stupid question but take pity on me even though i do have a degree in physics....is there such a way that you can name a star after someone or something like that or am i just being completely stupid. i know obviously the person who discovers it gets to name it first but i was wondering if there was a site or something where you could buy the naming rights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There are plenty of websites that will 'name' a star for you and give you a cert etc to 'prove' it but they usually do this for a fee. It's a gimmick really. It doesn't mean anything....some company says a star is named after you (or your pet goldfish!) but it's not recognised or recorded anywhere official. It's a money making scam.....on the other hand if getting a 'cert' with a named star would brighten up someone's day then go for it....for a fee of course!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I dont see what having a degree would have to do with knowing about the subject matter so i dont see how this would be embarrasing, infact its a very good question.

In short no one can sell you the rights because no commercial entity owns nor will ever own the the rights to naming a star. A star catalog is a scientific pursuit. The names we have for some of the most famous or brightest stars are ancient, the international astronomical union are the only body that officially names celestial objects, they do respect the previous famously named star names as it is part of our history, the very history with which astronomy was born.

Actual names for stars and newly discovered stars is very impractical because of the amount of stars catalogued and as such are assigned their respective designations along with their telescopic coordinates

You will find pretty much everything you will need to know on the subject at the following link.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mystery_monday_030915.html

Depending on who is advertising this service it is either fraudulent or clearly stated that it is a novelty gift only, and does not entitle the customer to any official procedure in naming a star

• Registered Users Posts: 33 emobama

Buy yourself a plot on the moon, or has that the same problem? Humm!

I would think that would be very possible as there are indeed, big plans for our moon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

I've got some friends in the in the Astronomical union. Send me €100 and I will be sure to get them to name a star for you. I will even send you a colourfully printed certificate with an arrow pointing to your star :p

But seriously, with 100 billion stars alone in our galaxy, ignoring those not visible.. perhaps it would be nice for us to have the opportunity to officially name them, while still using standard designations, of course. With a small fee for those doing administrative formalities.

and with 10^24 (give or take a few hundred billion Billion) Stars estimated to be in our visible universe, I sure would like the chance to have at least 1 named after me.

Advertisement