Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting ould shotgun restored

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Theres an ould shotgun in the family. It hasnt been used in a few years but theres talk of it coming back into action, passed down to a cousin. Now its an old single barrel, the barrells a bit rusty. Colouring gone a bit in places.
    Is there a place that will dickie it up? Making looking nice.
    Theres also a bit of a shake in it when its closed, bit of play. nothing bad but i presume it needs tightening or something.
    Is there anyone who'll do that sort of thing??
    If not it will probably be handed in as the owner is fairly bet and dont see him getting licence renewed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Theres an ould shotgun in the family. It hasnt been used in a few years but theres talk of it coming back into action, passed down to a cousin. Now its an old single barrel, the barrells a bit rusty. Colouring gone a bit in places.
    Is there a place that will dickie it up? Making looking nice.
    Theres also a bit of a shake in it when its closed, bit of play. nothing bad but i presume it needs tightening or something.
    Is there anyone who'll do that sort of thing??
    If not it will probably be handed in as the owner is fairly bet and dont see him getting licence renewed.

get a gunsmith to make up a new hinge pin and tighten the action up , give the barrel a gentle rub with fine oooo grade wire wool dipped in thin oil eg. 3in1 etc and give the stock a buff with furniture wax NOT pledge or aerosol crap .
    what make of gun is it , post a pic .
    all this will probabily be much more time effort and money than the gun is actually worth .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

rowa wrote: »
    get a gunsmith to make up a new hinge pin and tighten the action up , give the barrel a gentle rub with fine oooo grade wire wool dipped in thin oil eg. 3in1 etc and give the stock a buff with furniture wax NOT pledge or aerosol crap .
    what make of gun is it , post a pic .

Dont know the make, iv only seen it once. It belongs to a granuncle of mine, you know the type of man, old farmer, half bet, gun not used for years. Sitting in the house for piece of mind if you ask me. I dont think he even has cartridges. Il be down with him saturday, il try sneak a few pics on the phone.
    Do you know any good gunsmiths around the midlands??
    He told me he hasnt shot it since he got it fixed. The granny said she brought him to get it fixed around 15 year ago. Most important, would it be even safe to use or should it be handed in.

i suppose it depends on the general condition of the gun , a single barrel is basically worth nothing now and i think a new baikel is about 100 euros or maybe slightly more , but with the hastle of getting the licence most will go for a double barrel .
    if it were something interesting like a greener g.p. it might be worth doing , but i doubt if it would be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mac Greine

It would be a shame to hand in a gun that has been in the family for years.
    A little time and elbow-grease can clean up an old gun quite easily.
    The gun might not be worth much money-wise but personally I would be very reluctant to hand in any gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Mac Greine wrote: »
    It would be a shame to hand in a gun that has been in the family for years.
    A little time and elbow-grease can clean up an old gun quite easily.
    The gun might not be worth much money-wise but personally I would be very reluctant to hand in any gun.

Yea, dont want to see it being destroyed myself

• Advertisement

stick up a pic if you can .

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Maybe get the gun deactivated by a RFD if you wish to avoid handing it in? Wont be functional but it would be a shame to lose a gun thats been in the family.

Advertisement