Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment dwellers rehoming/fostering dogs?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I am curious to find out if apartment dwellers can rehome or, failing that foster, dogs in need.
    I currently live with my partner in a large apartment (75sqm), and have been considering getting a dog. I would obviously prefer a rescue, as I disagree with supporting the breeding business when there are so many in desperate need.
    However, it appears that most rescues require there to be a garden. I can see why, of course, but I think that certain dogs can live happily indoors as long as they are taken out regularly.
    My partner works part time and I am a mature student, so we have plenty of time for walks. We live near a park, and also have a roof terrace for late night piddles!
    We recently looked after a terrier in our home for a week, and found that the situation worked very well, with us taking him out several times a day. Also, we are both experienced with dogs, as are our families.
    I guess I just want to know if our living arrangements rule us out categorically from rehoming a dog from a rescue or pound? I'm sad to say that I know of 2 people who passed homechecks, only to lose the dogs they had adopted - one was run over, while another ran away (the owner in question had a small garden, but had used her friend's larger place for the h/c). I know that we are responsible people (more than most), and would love to be able to adopt. Failing that, do the same rules about gardens apply to fosters?

Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As I run a rescue for huskies and malamutes, I guess most people would assume that I wouldn't rehome to apartments. But, I rehomed a lovely little (and I do mean little) husky cross to an apartment last week. The owners already have a dog and take him out throughout the day and he is a very happy, well adjusted boy. So, I wouldn't rule it out. However, I think it does take a special person to have a dog in an apartment, you really do have to be committed to the animal, as you can't just let them out in the back garden first thing in the morning, or last thing at night to go to the toilet. Although you say you have a small roof terrace, so if it was safe (i.e. dog couldn't jump over a wall or fence) then that problem is eased.

In my opinion, just because someone has a garden, doesn't mean that dog will have a better life than someone that doesn't. An ex-boyfriend of mine had a doberman in an apartment, the dog had a fantastic life. He would be taken out to a park first thing in the morning, then a couple of walks during the day, and again back out just before bed. I won't rehome to someone with a garden that isn't secure, as the dog could go roaming, but if you have to physically take your dog out for a walk every time it needs to go out, thats different, if its on a lead its not going to roam.

I wonder how many dogs have been rehomed to families with a garden and then spent their lives out in the garden, never going for walks? Obviously with homechecks and talking to prospective new owners, all rescues hope that won't happen.

Best of luck, I think that you will be hard pressed to find a rescue to let you adopt because you live in an apartment, but fingers crossed that you find the right dog for you and they give you a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I am happy to rehome a dog to an apartment once the applicant is sensible and knows what is involved. Also that the landlord/management company (if needed) can provide a letter of permission to have a dog in the building.

Personally I kind of like when people don't have gardens....it means the dog has to be walked, rather than just left out the back garden and also it means the dog has to sleep in at night ;)

Every family is different, we do have rules for adoption but always try accomodate everyone within reason, once their request is reasonable. i.e in this case the size of the dog and breed/age would be a factor

Mod edit: Website removed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would hope that rescues apply common sense & not stick to pedantic rules. I agree with Suzi that an apartment can be better. Given the economic situation I would suspect that any landlord/management company would be accommodating given that there are so many properties for rent.

Many of the owners of holiday properties here are struggling to get bookings. My neighbour has a cottage that is usually let because he welcomes dogs !.

From a rescue's point of view it is often easy to see if someone is a dog person by the way that they relate to the dog & that is always more important than where they live.

OP please update us as it could be useful information for others in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 glen.girl

Thank you for all of your contributions. It's great to know this. Like I said, the terrier we had staying (a stray I found and managed to reunite) got on fine. We're not planning to rush into anything - we may have a touch of the doggie withdrawal symptoms after our guest, so we reckon we should wait for that to pass (does it ever?) just to be absolutely certain that the time is right.
    Regarding breeds, age etc., any advice that any of you would have about this would be great. I'm thinking small to medium - possibly a terrier cross (my family have always kept terriers as pets, so I'm a fan). I also imagine that an adult dog would be better than a puppy in an apartment setting.

Like I said, any suggestions on these matters would be much appreciated.

Regarding how things go, if we do go ahead, I'll definitely keep you all updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

if you go to www.irishanimals.ie there are loads of terriers looking for a forever home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Just from the point of view of someone who has lived with a dog in an apartment, I have to say that once the dog is suited to this type of living I don't see any reason why a rescue would refuse you. It does help if you have a green area nearby where your dog can poo and pee, but most apartment blocks have these.

Our dog was a rescue and apart from a couple of accidents the first few days (which could happen even if someone has a garden), he quickly got into the swing of things and never messed in the apartment.

We lived in a duplex with our own door, so never had to take our dog through communal areas. I do know that some management companies won't allow any pets, even if the landlord is willing to, so make sure you check with both.

Because us Irish are quite new to apartment living you will get some people who think it is cruel to keep a dog in an apartment but all across Europe and America dogs live happily in them.

I'd much rather hear of a dog staying inside in an apartment when a person is at work, then stuck out in a kennel. Some people seem to think that dogs spend all day in the garden amusing themselves, happily frolicking about but that's not the case in my experience.

There was the odd day here and there, particularly on a cold, wet and windy morning where I would have liked to have been able to let the dog into a garden to do its business but apart from that, no complaints.

I think it could be a particularly good scenario for an older dog.

Advertisement