Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRTA ROUND-UP COMPETITION

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

HRTA_roundup_edited_1.jpg

Sick of all the cheating that go's on, always a doubt as to what team won, or who is the best, well now is your chance, here is a competition, that you cant cheat, and there will be no doubt who the winer is, so put your BB were your mouth is.

The HRTA Round-Up team competition will consist of the several events over one day, as exampled below. Events are subject to change and full details will be released after registration.
    What’s needed to enter? Teams are to consist of a maximum of 5 players. Each team must pay a fee of €75. Or €15 Per: player.
    Teams who dont have enough members to form a team, can put there names on a list, and we can form teams on the day, or you can form your own team, before the day.
    To obtain full descriptions and diagrams of the team competition events. please contact info@hrta.ie

Hostage Rescue:
    This is a timed event and targets are scored by hits.
    Only 5 members will compete per unit.

Building Assault:

Bus Assault:

Car IED:
    Search for a car bomb, positively identify, and remove, there will be trips and Booby Traps.

Building IED's:
    Search for bombs in side a building, positively identify, and remove, there will be Booby trips.

Obstacle Course:
    Your unit must negotiate an obstacle course.

Super Sniper Competition:
    Each sniper will muster at the staging area ready to begin the event with all
    necessary equipment. He/she will be provided with the distance of each of
    nine targets between 10 and 50 meters. On the command to ‘go’, the sniper
    will proceed to the established firing position where nine targets will
    be indexed. The sniper will successfully engage each of the nine targets
    with one round each. A maximum of 10 rounds may be fired during the
    event. The sniper successfully engaging the most number of targets with
    the quickest time will be declared the event winner and Super Sniper.

We are aware that many teams will wish to train, prior to the competition,
    Therefore, we will accept appointments for practice/training time on a first come, first served basis.
    This can be arranged by contacting me.
    There will be a traning range open during the event to train on the day.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Sounds very interesting, you have my attention Paul ,:)
    how is it that people "can't" cheat though? And is this a single day thing or spread over the weekend etc.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Same as Richie said,

count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

This sounds VERY interesting Paul.

I would assume people won't be able to cheat as the teams are small so they'll be easier to marshal. I would also assume that this is a one day event as Paul has only list one day, but if a lot of teams sign up it might be run over two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Masada wrote: »
    Sounds very interesting, you have my attention Paul ,:)
    how is it that people "can't" cheat though? And is this a single day thing or spread over the weekend etc.,:)

With people competing against the clock and shooting at targets it would be hard to have any cheating especially if the targets where card/paper ( which I would say is a given)

I like the look of this and it's the type of competitive I think airsoft excel at, the system is like that used by real steel swat and military units Which would imagine Paul has based this on, use to compete, skill based not force on force,

against the clock points for accuracy instead of volume on targets will really show a well oiled team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Puding wrote: »
    With people competing against the clock and shooting at targets it would be hard to have any cheating especially if the targets where card/paper ( which I would say is a given)

Thats what I thought, but I was 100% sure so I didn't say anything :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

Nice to see a fresh approach. This could work well.
    Any ideas that help to stop/reduce non hit-taking are always welcome.
    I can see this type of thing and semi-milsim type events as the future of competitive Airsoft.
    I believe that large scale force on force "skirmishing" can descend into chaos/disputes unless closely and competently marshalled, and is only really suitable for weekend bb blasting sessions (Which I enjoy also :P )

Well done, you have my attention.

how i would like to see competitions developing in ireland bit less run and gun :) but could just be me, videos not perfect and i did laugh in places but hay you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Added to calendar. I'll be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Pudding is bang on the mark, this IS how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What a fantastic idea, I'll do my best to attend.

I wonder if team "Hawk" can make its first showing ;P

Edit: I've put the news on our forum and will try get numbers confirmed asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

I'm there. Better try and create a team or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I'm there, might have a mate that'd be interested too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭markomongo

Excellent. Should have a team in for this.

Will the targets be paper cards or LARP style players?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

sounds like a very good day out! hope to attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

markomongo wrote: »
    Excellent. Should have a team in for this.

Will the targets be paper cards or LARP style players?

I'm also wondering this ^^

Also, obstacle course sounds fun :D

Should be able to get a team together for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

KonFusion wrote: »
    I'm also wondering this ^^

Also, obstacle course sounds fun :D

Should be able to get a team together for this.

320px-Eliminator1.jpg

Add guns

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

Thanks lads, for the repiles, the event will be all paper targets and clock timed.

This way, everything has been converted to time so that the lowest (fastest) time wins.

The score is based off of the RAW time it takes to complete the course, and any penalties incurred. Possible penalties are:

Extra shots hits taken:

Missed Shots:

Course penalties:

This is about the best video i could find, of how it runs.(just add in a bus and a building or two, and you have the idea)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB70tRGPciM

As far, as i can tell, it has not been done before in airsoft.

You will need to Practice,
    Range practice is, of course, essential to improve your accuracy. BUT, accuracy is only part of the skill set you’ll need for competitive shooting.

A good deal of time is spent before shooting is establishing the “perfect grip”, to start shooting the sights are perfectly aligned.

So, practice, practice, practice drawing the pistol from your holster and bringing it up on aim in one fluid movement, Remember, You can do this at home, without firing a shot.
    Another thing you can usefully practice at home is magazine changes.

It’s much harder than you think to accomplish whilst walking around, never mind running up range. Don’t “cheat” when practising by having a spare magazine in your hand - do it for real, with spare magazine(s) on your belt or vest as they would be in the competition.

Having said all that, now a piece of “contrary” advice,
    DON’T PRACTICE TOO MUCH ON YOUR OWN BEFORE YOU ATTEND THE COURSE. Why? Because you’ll end up, inevitably, developing bad habits and “unlearning” them and replacing with the correct procedures is a LOT harder than learning correctly in the first place. Take it from one who knows, first hand!
    One final reminder, If you’re practicing actual shooting at home, always apply the same safety procedures as you would see at a club or range.
    Above all, use a proper backstop and ALWAYS wear safety glasses.

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

sounds great paul. looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Nice video, I'd so be up for this but as I told evilrobotshane when he asked, I'll not be back from Donegal yet :(

Looks great Paul, seen a few examples of this in Europe and US but this would be a first in Ireland, best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Event added to GetActive.ie

So any takers, i need names to get this set up, as there is a lot of work involved with this event, and i need to order in medals, if i'm to go ahead with this, and time is running short, thanks lads.

Paul.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

stick down a team from cork please paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

One team of gamers, please. We won't be needing any of those medals though, we're going to be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

ill be up +4,,,,,,,

One team of gamers, please. We won't be needing any of those medals though, we're going to be terrible.

There is alway a need, there will be first, second, and third, place, and i wont go to hard on the first, Round-Up competition, but the best about a competition like this, is i can make it harder next time round, or if any teams got together to make a challenge to another team, and the best bit, there will be no doubt, who the winning team is;)

Paul.

Just some points, you will need to know, and there is some good info out there if you look, and ask, here is some just to start the ball rolling,

Basic Reconnaissance

The first thing that a CT unit needs to do before they jump into the shooting and looting is to know what you have to do, and every one knows what they have to do, as a team memeber.

Communications:

Communication is vital for a team's success. There are a number of forms of communication used by today's special Forces units. The very first and still favorite in some cases are hand signals. Hand signals are completely quiet and they are effective.
    Whether you use TacRadios or hand signals, communication should be short and to the point.
    Hand signals are for more developed and serious teams and need to be developed by the team itself. Teams are most familiar with signals that they come up with on their own. The same goes with code words.

Shooting:

Shooting is a fundamental skill that won't be covered in detail in this manual. Shooting is a vital part of any Op. After all, you have to shoot the targets to take them down don't you? Shooting in a CQB situation is actually quite different from that of any other Op.
    The reason is because in CQB the action is fast. Shooting in CQB is based upon initial volume of fire and instinct. Reaction time is very important in CQB.
    There are a number of fundamentals that help and apply to CQB though. The first is that you never look away from your gun. Keep your weapon in front of you at all times.
    The only exception belongs to the Point Man who may need to use his sidearm(if available). Don't look anywhere that your weapon is not pointed. Believe it or not, it's much easier to depress the trigger than to look, have to swing your weapon to your target, and then depress the trigger. If you head moves, your weapon goes with it. This is even more true with a sidearm.
    The next fundamental skill is a readiness stance. Keep your weapon in front of you a slightly on a low angle when moving.
    Movement like that is also important because you are more relaxed. When in CQB, tenseness is a bad thing. Tenseness causes premature firing of the weapon and a lot of missed targets because of poor aiming.
    If you're moving through a danger area, keep the weapon in a firing position with a relaxed grip. If you're too tense, you may have a tendency to jerk the weapon when firing which could throw your aim off. By the way, missing is a bad thing!
    The third and equally important aspect to combat shooting in CQB is reloading. Yes, there is a SOP for reloading. The most efficient reloading technique is used by the U.S. Airborne Rangers.
    The last and most important aspect of CQB shooting is fields of fire. Each team member needs to have a pre-assigned field of fire. A team member's field of fire is the area that the team member is going to concentrate on when moving unless moving through an open area at which you engage targets of opportunity. #The point man has the front of the team covered with the help of the OIC.
    The OIC covers the near flanks of the point man. The next man in the line which is usually a corpsman covers the left and right of the team.
    The Assaulters cover targets of opportunity. The rear security team member(last man in formation), covers the rear of the team.
    Another important thing to remember is if you fire in your field of fire, let your team know who is firing by calling out "contact!" If you "drop" the target, let the team know by saying, not yelling, "target Down."

The above needs rehearsal and should be trained again and again.
    focuse on target shooting under controlled circumstances working on a "reflex or Instinct shot." Basically, set up a target, mimic clearing an area, and engage the target of reflexes. That involves bringing the weapon up for the ready position and firing until the target is hit.

Movement and Room Clearing:

Smart Movement is a vital part of success for a CQB Op. Movement in CQB is swift, There should always be a purpose for movement. Never move unnecessarily because it just wastes time, Clearing and covering corners is another important aspect of movement.
    If you approach a corner, the point man should tell the rest of the team they've reached a corner. The point man then "slices the Pie" on the corner. Slicing the pie involves maximizing the team members view while limiting the reaction time, Slicing the pie involves making a 90 degree movement around the corner.
    In other words, the point man takes a step back from the corner turns his body so his point of view is looking directly past the edge of the corner. He then side steps turning his body slightly as he moves to maximize his field of vision.
    When encountering opposite corners as in the "T Shaped" hallway, you need to separate the team. The OIC and one other team member goes to the opposite corner as the point man. On a three count, the Point man and the OIC slice the pie at the same time, After both corners are clear, the OIC or point man decides which way to proceed and the team regroups and begins the "patrol" again.

An important point to remember is when clearing a room, do not engage targets of opportunity. Engage targets that lie in your path only. If you turn to shoot the target, you'll hit your own man before you hit the target. Strict fields of fire are required in order for this method of room clearing to be efficient and fast.

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

add my name ,
    if my lads cant make it il jump on board a merc team for the day to make up the numbers

If any one or teams are going to sign up, could you please, drop me a line, thanks.

Paul.

• Advertisement

hrta wrote: »
    If any one or teams are going to sign up, could you please, drop me a line, thanks.

Paul.

Only 16 days to go.

Paul.

Advertisement