Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question about my cat

Options
  • 02-12-2009 5:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi All!

My cat daisy is 10 years now but you wouldnt know it the way she can run!;) Anyway, she is the sweetest cat, just sits on my windowsill all day, sleeps, sometimes gets into such a trance that she falls off the windowsill. She is afraid of her own shadow, frightened by other cats / animals, her tail and loud noises. However, my vet told me that she is on their 'top ten' list of basically vicious cats. She then proceeded to show me her arms, and they were scraped all over. I nearly died with mortification because she is not like that. Is it just because she is nervous going to the vets?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sounds like nerves and anxiety to me. If she is generally a bit skittish then placing her in a stressful environment will get her very stressed and she will react. It is very common for dogs and cats to lash out at vets because they associate the vet (and the surgery in general) and a bad place/bad person and they get poked and prodded when they are there. Sounds totally normal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh its a very very common reaction when a pet goes to the vet. Its a cold, sterile environment and when being handled by a stranger in an unfamiliar situation it freaks alot of pets out. They could be the sweetest most placid animal at home and turn into complete terrors at the vets/kennels/cattery.

My dog is similar..although not vicious, she gives this really wary look that she could bite and is "rude" to the point of embarassing on my part :o as she is so unfriendly. Out of the vets...a whole different ballgame, she runs around,wags tail at people,loves to be petted etc.

Not nice to be on a "top ten vicious" list though! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

White Feather, when did this injury happen, and how come you weren't in there with the cat? All animals can turn at the vet, but they may behave better if you're there to handle and hold them - unless it's an overnight stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

My cat is kinda the oppisite. When it's not me at home he can be vicious (my father calls him the wild one) he can even be a bit vicious to me if I try to pick him up but in the vets he just either go's limp or clings onto the side of the table and when he's in the back area of the vets he's all cuddles and purrs:confused:.

I don't think there's much you can do about it except warn future vets/vet nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

dont worry about it ,,its quite normal for cats to be freaked out and to be honest the vet should be used to it and know how to handle a "vicious" cat,..nothing much you can do about it...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement