Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "worst of all possible worlds": The deal between Government and the unions

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Jobsharing maybe, I don't know enough to say, but flexi-time is certainly not extremely rare.

jobsharing/worksharing is effectively part-time work

hardly uncommon in the private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Riskymove wrote: »
    jobsharing/worksharing is effectively part-time work

hardly uncommon in the private sector

well I'd call jobsharing, more like you and i do the same job, but on different days. Thats how I've seen it operate in the health sector anyway, but as I say I really do't know enough other sectors to make comment on how prevalent it is or isn't.

well I'd call jobsharing, more like you and i do the same job, but on different days.

is that not two people working part-time?

in the orgs I am familiar with, the idea has developed to a point where people dont generally have a "partner" as they used to. It has become effectively part-time workers

It has actually caused issues in some areas (i.e. its growing prevelence)

this would be in the private sector Riskymove?

this would be in the private sector Riskymove?

no, public sector

• Advertisement

we know flexi-time is NOT extremely rare in the private sector

we know that part-time working is NOT extremely rare in the private sector

so I'm still wondering how job-sharing (in the tradtional sense) is across both sectors. Riskymove is saying that from his experience it's evolved into more like part-time working. Where could we dig up the facts and figures for both sectors I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

lmimmfn wrote: »

Im in the private sector, i want to work where most of the money is, where can i sign up to be an ambulance driver? or work for the fire brigade?
    so levaing out the pension we should pay people more in the public sector to do boring jobs than working in an 'exciting' private sector job?

lmimmfn wrote: »

Someone who is a banker in the private sector compared to someone who is working behind the counter in a shop is hardly the same thing, someone working for the Ambulance service compared to a clerical officer is very much the same iun most aspects = job for life, guaranteed pension and benchmarking to make sure you get paid better than your average private sector worker.
    I don't understand what you'r getting at:confused:
    1- for the umpteenth time we are not drivers we are paramedics
    2- you don't sign up, there is a very tough selection process, and then collage( yes i got my diploma through the national ambulance service collage and UCD)
    3- continued education for life is pretty standard
    4- i haven't even mentioned how tough the advanced paramedic selection/course is
    5- ambo service bench marking was actually dependent of upskilling yearly, not to match our salaries with any body else.
    6- re job security: mess up in our job, you can lose your increments, or your licence to practice, we are accountable for our work,
    and on and on and on

i don't really care if you call me a driver or a paramedic, but don't compare my job to anything you know. you dont scrap people up of the street, or cut them out of cars, or down from the ropes. i don't want to split peoples jobs into categories. we have an 'exiting' job but it is a demanding job, and emotionally it can be very tough.
    clerical workers have very different stress factors to emergency workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Comparing a factory worker on an assembly line working part time to someone in a clerical position is obviously stupid.

A factory worker or shop assistant etc. in the private sector can work part time (NOT JOB SHARE FFS!) without any loss in efficiency as the worker simply swaps chairs with their relief and goes home. There is NO OVERLAP of their responsibilities!!!

In a clerical position or higher this is generally NOT the case and the work overlaps almost completely, requiring both parties to know what the other has done. This is inefficient.

If you guys can't see the difference between a part time shop assistant or assembly line worker and a person dealing with ongoing files (just read the threads of people trying to get information on pensions or claims for unemployment benefit being processed by 'jobsharers' in the Dept. of Social Welfare for an insight into how this jobsharing nonsense 'serves' the public in a most innefficient manner) the I despair. Job sharing is not the same as working part time. Also, you guys are possibly confusing part time workers who have shifts assigned to them with flexi time, which is something entirely different (ie, I think I'll start an hour later today and finish an hour later-try that on a factory assembly line and see how it all falls apart).

If there is no loss in efficiency with job sharing, it would be theoretically possible to divide a clerical officer's job among say 10 people, correct? ;)

Advertisement