Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you cross your 7s and Zs?

• 02-12-2009 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

?

Do you cross 7/Z? 146 votes

Yes to both
    0% 0 votes
    No to both
    20% 30 votes
    Just 7s.
    27% 40 votes
    Just Zs.
    52% 76 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I cross my sevens. Do you...?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I cross my sevens. Do you...?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't cross them as long as they don't cross me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why is it all or none!?

Time to edit the poll I think OP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Aaa no. It was and still is, not part of numerical teaching at school to do so - so I've stuck with the way I was taught and brought up to write my numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

enda1 wrote: »
    Why is it all or none!?

Time to edit the poll I think OP.

I wish I could. I just posted the poll, then I realised 'wow, there's gonna people who cross their 7s but not their Zs, hopefully no one will notice', but alas, we are now in the situation we find ourselves in.

If any mod wants to edit the poll to include 'just 7s' and 'just Zs' that'd be just super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think I sometimes cross 7's, which I can see the point of to a degree but acossing a Z, wtf? That's madness! Why?

I think it's time to start quoting OP's posts as standard, a lot of deleting going on lately. It's just confusing for people reading the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I have terrible handwriting so I cross my 7's to make it easier on the reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I think I sometimes cross 7's, which I can see the point of to a degree but acossing a Z, wtf? That's madness! Why?

I cross my 7's and Z's. It's not something i learned while learning to write, but rather something i later picked up while in college...My reasoning behind it is that i have a science/maths background and if writing chemical formulae or mathematical equations by hand, particularly at speed, then it it very easy for Z's to look like 2's thus making the work difficult to understand later. For the same reason i also cross my 0 (zero) to distinguish them from O (letter o).

Edit: Jesus Christ i cant believe how f*cking boring that sounds... i really need to get a life. Thank f*ck i dont work in science anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

Strangest thread ive ever seen. I'd love to know what you do for fun; oh christ actually; don't tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

same reason i also cross my 0 (zero)

Yup me too,

also what about £ signs, mine has 2 crosses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Two nuns were driving through Transylvania when a vampire jumped on the bonnet of their car. The passenger nun says to the driver, "What are we going to do?"

Calmly, the driver nun replies, "I'll just turn on the windshield wipers. That will knock him off!!" She turns on the wipers only to find the vampire clinging tighly, hissing at them through the windshield.

The passenger nun says excitedly, "Well, that didn't work! What are we going to do now??"

Still calm, the driver says, "I know!! I just had holy water put in as wiper fluid. I'll spray him with it." She sends a spray of water onto the vampire. Smoke rises off where the water hits but the vampire just clamps down harder, hissing even more loudly at the two nuns.

Agitated, the passenger says, "Well, that didn't work either!!!! What are we going to do now??"

The driver thinks for a minute then shouts, "I know!!! Show him your cross!!!'

The passenger nun rolls down the window, sticks her head out and says, "GET OFF THE BONNET, YOU VAMPIRE MOTHER****ER!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Do hot cross buns count? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I cross my 7's and Z's. It's not something i learned while learning to write, but rather something i later picked up while in college...My reasoning behind it is that i have a science/maths background and if writing chemical formulae or mathematical equations by hand, particularly at speed, then it it very easy for Z's to look like 2's thus making the work difficult to understand later. For the same reason i also cross my 0 (zero) to distinguish them from O (letter o).

Edit: Jesus Christ i cant believe how f*cking boring that sounds... i really need to get a life. Thank f*ck i dont work in science anymore...

Thats what I was gonna write! :D
    Cept mine is for when I'm writing code Z, 7, 0 all get a slash through them so they are easier to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I cross my 7's for no particular reason, just habit.

I cross my Z's because of algebra. Very easy to mix up a 2 and a Z when written by hand.

Edit: Actually yeah usually zero's get crossed (vertically) too if I'm writing an alphanumeric string.

I cross both and it should be compulsory. People who dont cross them appear to have the collective ability to make them both look like 2's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Crossing 7's and Z's is a foreign thing why should we bother with it. Was never told to do it in school. Just like the metric system was forced on us we will probably have this shoved down our throats. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I cross both too, otherwise they look too alike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Crossing 7's and Z's is a foreign thing why should we bother with it. Was never told to do it in school. Just like the metric system was forced on us we will probably have this shoved down our troths.

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

No but I cross my 0 {Zeros} since reading hand written MAC address or any other HEX type code is easier when you can easily see the difference between o O and 0.

Edit:

Post re-first coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it.
    WE were fleeced in the changeover to the Metric system, just like the Euro. BTW Petrol is set to increase by over 25c a gallon in the coming budget. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I cross my 7s, otherwise they may be mistaken for 1s because...

I started writing my 1s with the wee overhang at the top, otherwise they look like lowercase l's because...

My lowercase l's look like capital I's because my handwriting chops and changes between capitals and lowercases because...

My head is all over the place apparently. According to handwriting personality interpreter thingy people. Lithographers is it?

Edit: Ooh I see I've just upped my mod stakes. Prepare to be doooomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    No but I cross my 0 {Zeros} since reading hand written MAC address or any other HEX type code is easier when you can easily see the difference between o O and 0.

But you can't have an o in a MAC address or hex code, so either would always be 0.

Also the only crossed Z I've seen is in Dragonball Z. That show was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

jum4 wrote: »
    Yup me too,

also what about £ signs, mine has 2 crosses?

I belive that 2 crosses is actually the symbol for the old Italian Lira. Anyone able to confirm if this is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't think of the last time I've actually written something on paper. I certainly used to cross my 7s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

WindSock wrote: »
    I cross my 7s, otherwise they may be mistaken for 1s because...

Crossing your 7 creates seven angles
    I started writing my 1s with the wee overhang at the top, otherwise they look like lowercase l's because...
    You should, it creates a single angle just like it was devised to in Arabic

Too much info? Too geeky?

Soz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I cross my seven's , always have and always will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I cross both. I cross my 7's so they don't look like 1's and my z's so they dont look like 2's.

I used to only cross my 7's until maths in secondary school when I realised that with my handwriting crossing both was a better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I cross my 7's partly because it's the closer to the way they started out, but mostly because my handwritting is shockingly bad and they'd come out as looking like 1's if I didn't.

Don't bother with Z's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I cross my 7s. Never met anyone that crossed their Zs.

Now I have something new to look out for! My life just got interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

cross Z only when i am writing in maths equation - so you dont misread 2 as Z

never for 7 tho - i know lots of senior people do that *ahem*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

cross my sevens, copied a mate in primary.

as for Z's, thats just weird :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement