Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused: Why can't teachers take unpaid leave during summer holidays ?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I heard a teaching union representative speaking earlier, he was talking about the deal under discussion with the government. He explained how teachers would take their unpaid leave over a period of 2 to 3 years to avoid causing too much disruption to the students.
    I'm confused, why can't they take their unpaid leave during their summer holidays. Am I missing something here ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Because that would make sense. Instead they're approaching it from the ridiculous angle that they will get these days in 'credit' to use over the next 3 or 4 years to use during the school year. WTF ?!?! How is that going to save money, someone will have to cover for them and the possibility is that it will be paid substitute teachers. Yet the unions claim this won't affect productivity, are they therefore saying that schools are over staffed and can operate with less teachers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

tom2121 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here ?

Holidays are more important than children, in the eyes of the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Absurdum wrote: »
    Holidays are more important than children, in the eyes of the unions.

I think it's a bit like the way teachers usually have their babies between september and november.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Again, this makes a mockery of the teachers unions claims over the years, that they are only striking for class sizes and pupils conditions............

"Don't cut the education fund, for the sake of the children....."

All they were ever concerned about, as everyone knew, was their own pay and conditions. The children are not ever in the equation.

My God, they get up to 3 months off over the Summer, That equates to 1 day off over their holidays. How can they not take the time off when it suits the school year.
    They should be brought in over the summer and have literacy/computer/maths/etc. classes for adults. they can take their 12 days off during this time. If the Unions aren't happy, Pay cuts across the board like it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Because then it's just a pay cut for teachers, oh the poor divils.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Well at least their salaries will stay the same under this proposal. That way the unions will be playing with the same figures in future negotiations, mortgage applications etc etc (Please inert note of sarcasm where ever you feel appropriate)

I wish my wife was asked to take an addition 10 unpaid days holiday per year rather than the 15% pay cut plus loss of bonuses she has suffered this year so far.

Great to see our government have grown a pair during the crises and that the Unions are still running the country in such an efficient way.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

They should try working for themselves, then all your days off are unpaid. What a deal!

Advertisement