Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of HR?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I’m just wondering what people’s thoughts are on the importance of a HR department? I know we all have our own little jibes at them and how they’re generally useless, but I currently work for a company that has no HR to speak of. It’s quite a large company as well so it’s a little strange.

I just feel that if there were problems within the workplace then there aren’t many people to turn to. We used to have an employee here who had found out she was pregnant and further down the line had lost the baby. Now she wasn’t far gone so no one knew about this, but she approached the person who would have probably been the closest we had to ‘’HR’’ at the time to discuss it for time off etc. This was all done under the pretence that it would be private but this ‘’HR’’ person then told her manager who then approached her about it!

Your thoughts?

Advertisement