Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Dec 9 (Budget!)

Options
  • 02-12-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭

Looking at wetterzentrale latest run the forecast for Dec 9th is looking particularly windy if not stormy.

Maybe Budget changes will blow away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i think you have it the wrong way around...... we will be blown away by the changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I hear they are going to tax snow so keep quiet about any sightings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's a bit too far out...

The 0Z GFS run brings it very close to Ireland, the 06Z run has it futher away. That will chop and change a lot before Tuesday.

Interesting that there is some model consensus on the the system itself (way early to except consensus on intensity or track). But ECMWF, UKMO, GEM and GFS all develop 'something' off the west coast for around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

It's a bit too far out...

The 0Z GFS run brings it very close to Ireland, the 06Z run has it futher away. That will chop and change a lot before Tuesday.

Interesting that there is some model consensus on the the system itself (way early to except consensus on intensity or track). But ECMWF, UKMO, GEM and GFS all develop 'something' off the west coast for around that time.

That something off the west coast;could be the night mary harney explodes.
    :eek:

nnae8j.png

If that tracked further south before making its turn to the northeast it would be the worst storm since the Christmas Eve storm of 1997 I'd say?

Will be keeping an eye on the wobbles and changes over the next few days but the likelihood is that won't happen. GFS nearly always downgrades these events before they happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

nnae8j.png

If that tracked further south before making its turn to the northeast it would be the worst storm since the Christmas Eve storm of 1997 I'd say?

Will be keeping an eye on the wobbles and changes over the next few days but the likelihood is that won't happen. GFS nearly always downgrades these events before they happen.

JASUS!, WATS THE CENTRAL PRESSURE ON TAT "FORESCENE SYSTEM"?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes it may downgrade but its something to keep an eye on and lets face it theres no exceptional snow event looming unless they tax it as someone said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rtavn1441.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The GFS always overdeepens a week out. Everybody chill till saturday or sunday .

945mb my arse , that'd be a cat3+ hurricane :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The GFS always overdeepens a week out. Everybody chill till saturday or sunday .

945mb my arse , that'd be a cat3+ hurricane :D

I agree, GFS has a habit of doing that, but its interesting that a few of the major models are hinting at something.

0Z Euro :

2wgervc.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Wouldn't pay much heed for another 48hrs or so. If it still shows up the same or close to the same, we may have an event, but even in our technological age, we still won't get a handle on any event like this until 2 or 3 days out.

12Z GFS brings it closer to us, but its the GFS and its 4 or 5 days away so no need to worry

2nleo44.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Joe Public wrote: »
    I hear they are going to tax snow so keep quiet about any sightings.

Ah sh"*& - better send back the snow machine - I wanted to redo the Vodafone ad " Bray " style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest UKMO chart (12z) for next Monday:

Storm.jpg

ECM picked up on this potential in yesterday's run but had the storm centre running up through the country and as a result brought the strongest winds in the wake of the passing and a little to the south. It is a track that needs to be watched as others have said.

Looking forward to a decent storm, which have been sadly lacking in the last few years. Hopefully this one may deliver! :)

Looking forward to a decent storm, which have been sadly lacking in the last few years. Hopefully this one may deliver! :)

ECM 12Z doesn't seem to develop it at all now.

Gone as soon as I opened my mouth , wish they were all like that :D

Met Eireann have it written off as well

Met Eireann have it written off as well

Eh? The Met Éirean outlook only goes as far as Sunday.

Eh? The Met Éirean outlook only goes as far as Sunday.

On the 18:55 weather forecast they ran the charts on to the weekend and there was nothing major on the horizon so that was good enough for me. If something threatens after a few more days then it may feature.

ECM 12Z doesn't seem to develop it at all now.

Typical :rolleyes:

Although will be interesting to see if the potential is still there in a day or two. I just hope the tonight's ECM was just a once off, because the entire run, not just for this storm potential, just shows a continuation of the present set up for the next 10 days, which is amongst the most boring set up of all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

On the 18:55 weather forecast they ran the charts on to the weekend and there was nothing major on the horizon so that was good enough for me. If something threatens after a few more days then it may feature.

Yes and they were very accurate in forecasting the flooding last wkd for the East:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Next Wednesday better be ok - I've a concert to go to that night...:p

ECM 0Z develops it again and brings it closer to us.

The GFS 06Z run brings it closer to us but reduces the intensity.

UKMO and GEM 0Z runs develop it but swings it well away out to sea.

Take yer pick, but they will all be changed again tomorrow... :p

ECM 0Z :

21bw03d.gif

Shown as a Tuesday event more than a Weds one in the later runs and they are at 955 minimum today up from 945 yesterday. I still believe it will be a non event :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Shown as a Tuesday event more than a Weds one in the later runs and they are at 955 minimum today up from 945 yesterday. I still believe it will be a non event :)

Well the 12Z GFS has the storm bombing at 945 again but on this run it curves further away from Ireland. I don't think any of the models have a good handle on it yet.

12 GFS :

29dgwbd.png

Severe winds out at sea, if that tracked close to us it would be fairly windy :pac: ...

300fek8.png

The GFS isn't the only model showing a strong system, check out the isobars on the 12Z GME/DWD run....

gme-0-132.png

Well the 12Z GFS has the storm bombing at 945 again but on this run it curves further away from Ireland. I don't think any of the models have a good handle on it yet.

12 GFS :

Severe winds out at sea, if that tracked close to us it would be fairly windy :pac: ...

Encouraging charts again today, and bring it on I say ;). Even if the main explosive area stays to the west and northwest, there is always a chance that a secondary trough may develop in its wake and throw up a squall line or two over Ireland. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am emigrating. Yr.no has it raining in Galway every day next week !

Discodog wrote: »
    I am emigrating. Yr.no has it raining in Galway every day next week !

Accuweather 5 day forecast doesn't paint a pretty picture for you either...

Rain Total:52.1 mm
    Winds 54 G(125) km/h

• Advertisement

12Z ECM develops the storm to 950 on Tuesday. Lots of time for that track to shift and the intensity to change until then. Will be fun watching the models over the next few days...

9lhjsm.gif

Advertisement