Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are our democractic options now?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Do you honestly believe they care about people who are not going to vote for them anyway? FF and the Public Sector have always been closer than 2 peas in a pod. This is about saving FF not about saving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

jank wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe they care about people who are not going to vote for them anyway? FF and the Public Sector have always been closer than 2 peas in a pod. This is about saving FF not about saving the country.

I know that. I'm asking, what can we do now?
    Brian Cowen is running the country like a dictator.

Only a few years ago, there were riots over a few Orangemen in Dublin.
    This is the fate of the entire country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Well in normal countries there would be riots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Start writing letters and emails to Strasbourg and the IMF, pleading with them to come in and take us over. Get them to throw the banana out of the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Start writing letters and emails to Strasbourg and the IMF, pleading with them to come in and take us over. Get them to throw the banana out of the republic.

Would probably be better for anybody in the private sector at this stage if they did? The present government are pandering to the public service unions (agents) just like Bertie did. There is a severe deficiency of moral courage at the cabinet table. I think maybe Harney would be the only one who would have the balls to enforce the required pay/staff cuts to get the 1.3Bn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Seems to me there are 2 choices.

Riots and demonstrations, like our fellow Republic in France, where the people understand that the Republic is there to serve the common good, and the people sometimes have to revolt in order to make the rulers see sense.
    We dont have any tradition of this here as for the most part we are a Republic only in name and the recent events about the Catholic church report and the Taoiseachs reluctance to upset them, goes some way to prove that.

Wait for a General Election and change the governing parties. Only problem is that we cant influence the timing of this, as our Republic is constituted to allow government to serve with majority support in the parliament for a given term.And we know from experience, Bertie etc, that these politicans of a particular hue are not influenced by any moral courage or any sense of duty to the Republic or its people.

So, we are basically ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

It's very disappointing and there is little we can do given that the unions seem to only recognise and represent the minority of their membership (More than two thirds of Union members work in the private sector) . .

It also tells you something about the unions and the public sector workers that they are willing to sacrifice service levels and (in the case of the HSE) putting lives at risk, in order to protect their own interests. .

If there is scope to give everyone two weeks unpaid leave then why the hell are we not just reducing the size of the public sector and saving this money permanently rather than temporarily. .

This is even worse than the paid leave of absence deal they did last year.

What can we do ? First plane outta here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

I suppose we could call/visit our local FF representatives in case they don't realise how annoyed and disappointed many people are with this deal, if there's any wriggle room in the deal it can still be exploited.

If the OP hadn't specified democratic means I was going to suggest a coup d'etat:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I had thought about this for a while this week. the reality is that there is this huge mass of unrepresented people now in this state that are getting increasingly sick of looking at this spectacle. The number of these people now completely restless with this situation I think far outnumbers those who are calling the shots at the moment, those in the public sector...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

It also tells you something about the unions and the public sector workers that they are willing to sacrifice service levels and (in the case of the HSE) putting lives at risk, in order to protect their own interests. .

The teachers also want there time off to come out of the school year and not the time they are off for summer/easter/christmas/etc and being paid in full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

manc wrote: »
    The teachers also want there time off to come out of the school year and not the time they are off for summer/easter/christmas/etc and being paid in full.

Of course they do . . Sure they refused to do parent teacher meetings outside of school hours this year meaning that parents have to take time off work to attend . . Utter contempt for the state the country is in !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

SARZY wrote: »
    Seems to me there are 2 choices.

Riots and demonstrations, like our fellow Republic in France, where the people understand that the Republic is there to serve the common good, and the people sometimes have to revolt in order to make the rulers see sense.
    We dont have any tradition of this here as for the most part we are a Republic only in name and the recent events about the Catholic church report and the Taoiseachs reluctance to upset them, goes some way to prove that.

Wait for a General Election and change the governing parties. Only problem is that we cant influence the timing of this, as our Republic is constituted to allow government to serve with majority support in the parliament for a given term.And we know from experience, Bertie etc, that these politicans of a particular hue are not influenced by any moral courage or any sense of duty to the Republic or its people.

So, we are basically ****ed.

Last i checked they were elected, why can't there be a revolution against the electorate? Let's get the Fianna fail houses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Last i checked they were elected, why can't there be a revolution against the electorate? Let's get the Fianna fail houses etc

You want to revolt against yourself? :confused:

I agree with Paulzx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

If we had some kind of opposition figure that could rally those who want a change of government by means of a MASSIVE (500,000+ people) public protest march on the dail, that got international media coverage, surely they could be shamed into calling a general election?

Problem is the other political parties have no balls (along with our "government"and don't want to be in power. Happy to snipe away from the sidelines. (I hate saying this, but its true).

All Irish politicians are gutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SLUSK wrote: »
    Well in normal countries there would be riots.
    I know - you'd swear the average Irish citizen was afraid of being tazed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭GSF

Can we occupy Liberty Hall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cowen-caves-in-on-public-sector-pay-1960583.html

Brian Coward has washed his hands of us.
    What are our democratic options now?
    Public Sector workers were able to go on strike to pressure the government.

So what can we do now to make our voices heard?

contact our local fine gael td,s and ask them is thier any political party which represents the non super rich private sector voters , unless fine gael can grasp this huge opportunity to grab the private sector vote , they are no better than the idiots in goverment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 timmmy

irish_bob wrote: »
    contact our local fine gael td,s and ask them is thier any political party which represents the non super rich private sector voters

Freudian slip, irish_bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Daithinski wrote: »
    If we had some kind of opposition figure that could rally those who want a change of government by means of a MASSIVE (500,000+ people) public protest march on the dail, that got international media coverage, surely they could be shamed into calling a general election?

This letter was in the IRISH TIMES today:
    Madam, – This is a call to arms to all those who are sick of the way the country is being run. To all those tired of mistake after mistake made by a ruling party with a history of corruption. To everyone incensed by the Government’s cutting of social welfare and education to make way for their rich buddies and comfy lifestyles. We need to send a message to the Government that we are not going to sit idly by while the decisions that shape our lives are made on our behalf.
    So, let us all gather come budget day and march on the Dáil. Let us reclaim the values that this Government has thrown aside in the face of adversity. Let us join together, regardless of class or culture, and march as one voice. Let us surround the Dáil on Wednesday December 9th, and let us demand that the Government bend to the will of the people and either stand down or live out the rest of their lives in Leinster House.
    Let everyone who has suffered at the hands of flooding and seen no response from their leaders and all those who have lost their job due to stupid decisions made by corrupt politicians, stand up and be heard.
    Let them know that we are mad as hell and we’re not going to take it any more. – Yours, etc,

MATTHEW SMYTH,
    Marley Rise,
    Rathfarnham, Dublin 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The fact of the matter is that no "call to arms" from a letter in the Irish Times, or a post on a message board, is going to muster enough support to be even noticed, and at that it would probably just end up being hijacked by the tired old warriors of the Left such as People for Profit. A march to be noticed would have to be organized by one of the two big opposition parties, and given the anger out there it surely wouldn't be easy to muster a healthy crowd.

Which begs the question: where are Fine Gael exactly? You can just imagine the Joker going around "have you seen Fine Gael?" I certainly haven't. They will probably never have a better chance ever again to para-shoot into government but they're not taking it whatsoever. Imagine if they started a national campaign now, led by big billboard ads and an on-the street presence - it would have the potential to be huge. Springboarding into power on a campaign of change they would have the mandate to do whatever. But, apparently not...

Which begs the second question: who are more thoroughly incompetent, FF in government or FG in opposition? Its a tight one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

timmmy wrote: »
    Freudian slip, irish_bob?

dont know what you mean???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Which begs the second question: who are more thoroughly incompetent, FF in government or FG in opposition? Its a tight one.

It's incompetent to not want to be handed a poisoned chalice? I'd suggest that's an extraordinarily naieve view of politics. If I was in FG I'd be perfectly happy to sit in opposition for the next year as FF reap what they sowed.

FG along with labour and Democratic Left were landed in a similar situation not fifteen years ago and it turned out to be a thoroughly thankless job for them to clean things up. I'd imagine that lesson stung enough to be remembered.

Suck it up. It's the electorates incompetence and short sightedness that's ultimately landed us here. The people get the government they deserve after all. 41.6% of the electorate voted for FF in 2007 - odds are a large number of those idiots baying for blood now were also the idiots that got us here. Maybe the idiots aren't worth listening to?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

Didn't public protest bring about government change in Iceland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Yup, 300,000 public sector workers out-voted 1.8 million private sector workers and foisted FF on the country.

Thanks for pointing that out.

The IMF do not invade countries, they are asked for a loan and destroy the country as a condition of the loan, public and private sectors.

I think maybe Harney would be the only one who would have the balls to enforce the required pay/staff cuts to get the 1.3Bn

That'd be Harney who sorted out the health boards and left us with the super-efficient HSE.

That Harney?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

Overheal wrote: »
    I know - you'd swear the average Irish citizen was afraid of being tazed :rolleyes:

Afraid of getting your ipods scratched!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I know that. I'm asking, what can we do now?
    Brian Cowen is running the country like a dictator.

Only a few years ago, there were riots over a few Orangemen in Dublin.
    This is the fate of the entire country.
    what?
    Cowen = Dictator, is the questionable article you quote not saying that Cowen caved in to the unions? Now you call Cowen a dictator, which is it?

There were not riots a few years ago when the Love Ulster march was to go down O'Connell Street. A few scumbags (a good number of them sporting scarves from a scottish football club) threw paving slabs at the marchers and police. Are you advocating we all buy scarves and throw paving slabs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Why on earth would anyone volunteer to get elected in Ireland at the moment. It like volunteering to be captain of the titanic after the iceberg hit.

If I was in opposition I would wait till things got better as well. When seas are calm any idiot can drive the boat, when the waves are high, the wind is up many would be glad to leave some other eejit at the wheel and hang on.

The only democratic option left in Ireland is to wait till the next election and vote in the other eejits to cant steer the boat either.

Can someone even say who they would like in Power that could handle the Public sector or fix the country. I vote Adolf Hitler (Minus the whole ethenic cleansing stuff)

Advertisement