Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Kenny's Climate Circus.....

• 02-12-2009 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Debate about global warming on with Pat now. Lad after having a right go at Pat. "This is the usual Pat Kenny ramming words down people's throats"...

Anyone listening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

Debate about global warming on with Pat now. Lad after having a right go at Pat. "This is the usual Pat Kenny ramming words down people's throats"...

Anyone listening?

Yeah. Interesting stuff.
    Getting a bit nasty. Plank is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Cringe worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

This is great radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Anyone educated enough on the issue to tell me who I should be believing. Kenny is usually fairly grounded but seems to be going out on a limb here. Thought it was really childish the way the "professor" laughed his way through Pat's critique of the Irish writer.

Anyone educated enough on the issue to tell me who I should be believing. Kenny is usually fairly grounded but seems to be going out on a limb here. Thought it was really childish the way the "professor" laughed his way through Pat's critique of the Irish writer.

Are you kidding me? It really is 1% or so of scientists that reject the theory of global warming being caused by man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

great radio - guy from the Irish Times really took umbrage - doubt he'll be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Kenny is usually fairly grounded but seems to be going out on a limb here.
    His limbs were almost falling off. I don't understand why he thought it'd be a good idea to go wading in to a debate between two people who are, presumably, experts when his own knowledge isn't really that comprehensive. I thought it'd be interesting debate between two people, instead I got to hear Pat Kenny rambling about how we should listen to everybody while he was simultaneously shutting up the two people involved in the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

His limbs were almost falling off. I don't understand why he thought it'd be a good idea to go wading in to a debate between two people who are, presumably, experts when his own knowledge isn't really that comprehensive. I thought it'd be interesting debate between two people, instead I got to hear Pat Kenny rambling about how we should listen to everybody while he was simultaneously shutting up the two people involved in the debate.

I wonder would he like to mod the radio forum? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

yes plants intake c02 and give out oxygen.
    Dumb bastards would tax anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting stuff, the Irish Times scribbler John Gibbons suffers from George Monbiot syndrome, who spends a large part of his Guardian columns sneering rather than engaging in science.

Gibbons clearly was expecting an easy ride from Kenny.

mike65 wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, the Irish Times scribbler John Gibbons suffers from George Monbiot syndrome, who spends a large part of his Guardian columns sneering rather than engaging in science.

He did engage in science, maybe you were listening to something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I thought it was a good listen.

Say what you like about Pat, but he is the best there is out there when it comes to day time debate on the radio.

Imagine how cringe worthy that would be with D'Arcy or Ryan

yes plants intake c02 and give out oxygen.

LOL. Well I know that much is not true. I didnt think that only 5% was caused by man, I knew that a fair amount was caused by Cattle. Pat trying to justify his handling of the argument now..

Was very poor of the journalist to review/comment on a book without reading though.

LA3G wrote: »
    He did engage in science, maybe you were listening to something else?

Gibbons spent most of the interview having pop at the Australian fella (and Kenny for not blindly aggreeing with Gibbons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

mike65 wrote: »
    Gibbons spent most of the interview having pop at the Australian fella (and Kenny for not blindly aggreeing with Gibbons.

To be fair, Kenny has a bit of a history when it comes to blindly agreeing with denialists like Plimer, Bellamy, etc. However, rather than pointing out Plimer's business interests, Gibbons would have been better off making a few direct references to his links with right-wing think-tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

Pat Kenny did a superb job. He wasn't great on the Late Late but his radio show is must hear listening for those of us interested in current affairs.

Today he did a great job.

Kennys job is not to suck up to the general consensus.

His job is to try and seek the truth and he did a fine job today. Its important that people like Kenny question the consensus because if they don't, we all go around accepting any nonsense thrown to us and not questioning things.

So what if it upsets the "believers" of global warming. He needs to upset them to seek the truth.

Well done Pat.

54321 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny did a superb job. He wasn't great on the Late Late but his radio show is must hear listening for those of us interested in current affairs.

Today he did a great job.

Kennys job is not to suck up to the general consensus.

His job is to try and seek the truth and he did a fine job today. Its important that people like Kenny question the consensus because if they don't, we all go around accepting any nonsense thrown to us and not questioning things.

So what if it upsets the "believers" of global warming. He needs to upset them to seek the truth.

Well done Pat.

Hi Pat. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 weldersbench

I thought it was funny when Kenny told Gibbons "I'm not a fan"! You have to respect Pat because he has an engineering background but he might want to openly state his position on climate change and not hide solely behind scientific integrity. Dogs on the street knew the boom would end sharply some day never mind what the economists said, rising sea levels are a more serious matter.

The issue under discussion today wasn't if climate change is happening, only who's fault it is - man or nature.

Just found this http://www.thinkorswim.ie/ seems Kenny and Gibbons have "history".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you take a look in the Boards weather forum you will find a surprising amount of scepticism for Global Warming.

Just think of what would be at stake if the doubters were right. Would anyone ever believe Science & Government again ?.

PK did stress a key issue & that is the utter vilification of anyone who disagrees with Global Warming. Same thing happened with Flat Earth, Earth at centre of universe etc. That alone makes me highly suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Discodog wrote: »
    If you take a look in the Boards weather forum you will find a surprising amount of scepticism for Global Warming.

Just think of what would be at stake if the doubters were right. Would anyone ever believe Science & Government again ?.

PK did stress a key issue & that is the utter vilification of anyone who disagrees with Global Warming. Same thing happened with Flat Earth, Earth at centre of universe etc. That alone makes me highly suspicious.

Most keen amateur weather watchers (such as myself) have a fairly sceptical view of this man made climate change stuff. Maybe because recent temperature data has shown a cooling trend generally. It does seem to be agenda driven. The Greens in particular, are obnoxious with regards to debating it, regarding it as a fait accompli. Which it most definitely is not.

What gets me is the greens were saying a few summers ago that drought and extrme heat would be characteristic of Irish summers in the future. 3 sodden cool summers later, they have 180 degree'd on this,surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

Most keen amateur weather watchers (such as myself) have a fairly sceptical view of this man made climate change stuff. Maybe because recent temperature data has shown a cooling trend generally. It does seem to be agenda driven. The Greens in particular, are obnoxious with regards to debating it, regarding it as a fait accompli. Which it most definitely is not.

What gets me is the greens were saying a few summers ago that drought and extrme heat would be characteristic of Irish summers in the future. 3 sodden cool summers later, they have 180 degree'd on this,surprisingly.

Very very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 weldersbench

Discodog wrote: »

Agreed, and Gibbons "bookburner" respose wasn't what was called for however dubious his opponent's thesis. A recent Financial Times article had trouble finding suitably peer reviewed experts for the con side to the man made climate change argument. Maybe if you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs... you haven't grasped the gravity of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The real key for me, is what we do when the oil runs out? That is the real issue closing in on us very fast,no one can deny that. If China and India continue their upward industrialisation and consumerism, we'll run into a crisis maybe 30 or 40 years down the line.....

Advertisement