Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draw (Pots, Seedings).

• 02-12-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

One team from each pot in each group.

One: Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain.

Two: Australia, Honduras, Japan, Korea DPR, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, USA.

Three: Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Paraguay, Uruguay.

Four: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland.

Everyone hoping to get into South Africa group no doubt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Heres hoping for a proper "group of death" featuring

Holland
    Australia
    Paraguay
    Portugal

or something to that effect. Anyone who has Australia from the "bottom" seeds is getting a dud draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

gimmick wrote: »
    Heres hoping for a proper "group of death" featuring

Holland
    Australia
    Paraguay
    Portugal

or something to that effect. Anyone who has Australia from the "bottom" seeds is getting a dud draw.

I would have though Mexico would be the ones to avoid from that pot? How about

Spain
    Mexico
    Paraguay
    France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

South Africa
    New Zealand
    Algeria
    Slovenia

That would be a pretty soft group......lets hope thats the one FIFA decide to put us in with :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Brazil
    Mexico
    Ivory Coast
    France

Thats a group of death. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No Korea DPR v South Korea until the 2nd round then :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

eddiehead wrote: »
    South Africa
    New Zealand
    Algeria
    France

That would be a pretty soft group......lets hope thats the one FIFA decide to put us in with :pac:

Whats the betting they will get this group :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The French have been stitched up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

No Korea DPR v South Korea until the 2nd round then :mad:

They try to avoid having countries from the same continent meeting in the group stages of the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Catalan press reportong Fifa have sent a letter to the Argentine FA reminding them that Maradona cannot attend the world cup draw as part of his 2 month worldwide ban from football after he was rumoured to say he was going to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Whats the betting they will get this group :mad:
    Whats the odd's of them only getting 1 point this time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

How were the seedings chosen?

Why do the hosts always go into the top group of seeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

raido9 wrote: »

Marketing, nobody wants the hosts out in the first round as it removes the excitement from the host nation and fans. So you give them the easiest draw you can get away with and hope they have a decent run in the competition.

Seeding where chosen from the fifa world rankings except because France and Portugal had to go through the extra two matches they where removed from top seeds tbh wouldn't be surprised if this was done on purpose to stop ppl saying there was favoritism

And how the hell do france rise two places after the two qualifying matches and we drop two places surely a win in 90 minutes against France should of had us up several places instead of down 2 and france went up 2 places???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

7 highest ranks, then hosts in the 1st pot.
    Then geographical split for the other pots.

a) To make it as easy as possible for them to progress.
    b) They are preassigned the largest grounds at the best times for their games for obvious reasons, and this could only be logically done if they were a seed. If they were a random team in the draw they could end up in the smallest grounds at the 'worst' times.

Bit from column b, bit from column a.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

France have got screwed over :D

Watch them get a relatively easy group :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

I heard France were trying to get themselves into the top pot. That's a bit rich when they're lucky to even be in the tournament.

JJ wrote: »
    I heard France were trying to get themselves into the top pot. That's a bit rich when they're lucky to even be in the tournament.
    How would they do that tho? Because they are above England in the rankings?

I reckon France will be turned over by a few countries I don't think they will get out of the group stages with domenech in charge

Cameroon the dark horses great team

No Ageda Against France
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/02/france-world-cup-seedings

Fifa used the october seedings instead of the current ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

My assessments of the best and worst teams to get in the draw, 1 being the toughest, 8 being the easiest( if that wasn't obvious enough) Feel free to pick apart. Not sure about some of them myself.
    One
    1.Brazil
    2.Spain
    3.Argentina
    4.England
    5.Germany
    6.Italy
    7.Netherlands
    8.South Africa

Two:
    1. Mexico
    2. USA
    3. Australia
    4. Japan
    5 S korea
    6. Honduras
    7. Korea DPR
    8 New Zealand,

Three:
    1 Ivory Coast
    2 Ghana
    3 Chile
    4 Paraguay
    5 Cameroon
    6 Uruguay
    7 Nigeria
    8 Algeria

Four:
    1.France
    2. Portugal
    3. Serbia
    4. Greece
    5. Slovakia
    6. Slovenia
    7. Denmark
    8. Switzerland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Argentina
    Mexico
    Nigeria
    France

Spain
    Australia
    Ivory Coast
    Portugal

any combination of the above would be intriguing...

can someone remind me what Brazil's midfield is?

I mean, I respect Brazil as a good counter attacking, defensive team, but Spain will quite literally destroy them in the middle of the park.

Spain would do that to almost any team really, but Brazil's midfield seems particularly weak.

I reckon Brazil's only hope is if France or some other jammy team eliminate Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

kinaldo wrote: »

I mean, I respect Brazil as a good counter attacking, defensive team, but Spain will quite literally destroy them in the middle of the park.

Spain would do that to almost any team really, but Brazil's midfield seems particularly weak.

I reckon Brazil's only hope is if France or some other jammy team eliminate Spain.

I think Brazil would use Felipe Melo to disrupt the flow of Iniesta and Xavi, should they meet.

I'm not convinced that Argentina are that much of a threat. They have a great team no doubt, and together scored the best goal ever at the last World Cup, but with Maradona in charge, they look frail, and were lucky to qualify.

The danger teams to beat would be Brazil, Spain, Ivory Coast, Holland (if they get their act together), Mexico, Cameroon and possibly England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

One team from each pot in each group.

One: Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain.

Two: Australia, Honduras, Japan, Korea DPR, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, USA.

Three: Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Paraguay, Uruguay.

Four: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland.

Everyone hoping to get into South Africa group no doubt.

I hope for England, USA, Ivory Coast and France

and

Brazil, New Zealand, Algeria, Switzerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

F*** the world cup. I'm boycotting FIFA. Not because Ireland we're knocked out but because FIFA are effin Cs. They suck the life out of football. I cant watch a match now with out hating FIFA. They've ruined football and will continue to do so.

Sorry, continue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Pity there won't be much of a chance of the two Korea's meeting :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

kinaldo wrote: »

Melo, Gilberto Silva, Nilmar/Elano and Kaka. They will probably have Luis Fabiano and Robinho upfront. Cant see Spain destroying them at all - would fancy a Brazil victory if the 2 meet. Brazil and Spain do look that bit better than everyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

ay carumba!

Warper wrote: »
    Melo, Gilberto Silva, Nilmar/Elano and Kaka. They will probably have Luis Fabiano and Robinho upfront. Cant see Spain destroying them at all - would fancy a Brazil victory if the 2 meet. Brazil and Spain do look that bit better than everyone else though.
    Ha. Brazil may be able to get by with Gilberto Silva in the South American qualifiers with four goalless draws at home to the likes of Venezuala and Bolivia, but come next summer, against Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta and co., they're gonna have to do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

What a pity we won't get a group with USA and North Korea in it.

That would be some game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    My assessments of the best and worst teams to get in the draw, 1 being the toughest, 8 being the easiest( if that wasn't obvious enough) Feel free to pick apart. Not sure about some of them myself.
    One
    1.Brazil
    2.Spain
    3.Argentina
    4.England
    5.Germany
    6.Italy
    7.Netherlands
    8.South Africa

Swap these two around and I would agree. Argentina are rubbish lately and are lucky to be there. I'd also swap Germany and Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    One
    1.Brazil
    2.Spain
    3.Argentina
    4.England
    5.Germany
    6.Italy
    7.Netherlands
    8.South Africa
    Im not sure your logic is that south africa wont be tough at all or just wont be as tough as the rest in that pot.
    Im aware they arent a great team but people would be foolish to think south africa would be an easy draw though, host teams have an incredible good record in world cups/euro championships.
    I would have them tougher than argentina and italy anyway and wouldnt have them far off the rest of pot 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

adamski8 wrote: »
    Im not sure your logic is that south africa wont be tough at all or just wont be as tough as the rest in that pot.
    Im aware they arent a great team but people would be foolish to think south africa would be an easy draw though, host teams have an incredible good record in world cups/euro championships.
    I would have them tougher than argentina and italy anyway and wouldnt have them far off the rest of pot 1

If I have this right your saying South Africa and Brazil are almost on a level par and will be almost equally as difficult to beat? If that's what you meant I really wouldn't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

South Africa have to be one of worse international sides ever to grace pot 1
    awful team

they wont even make the next round

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seeding where chosen from the fifa world rankings except because France and Portugal had to go through the extra two matches they where removed from top seeds tbh wouldn't be surprised if this was done on purpose to stop ppl saying there was favoritism

And how the hell do france rise two places after the two qualifying matches and we drop two places surely a win in 90 minutes against France should of had us up several places instead of down 2 and france went up 2 places???

Just to turn the knife by condemning us to third-seed status again the next time around.

Seeding is booooring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For our neighbours I'd like to see a group along the lines of:

England
    Australia (always nice when these two clash)
    Ivory Coast (Drogba vs Terry)
    France (no explanation necessary here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I agree that France should not have been top seeds. At the end of the qualifying campaign (before the play offs) they were no. 9. It would be grossly unfair on the likes of England to have suffered because they won their group and didn't have to play two extra games.

Again, FIFA, have left themselves open to critisicm by not making this clear at the outset.

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    If I have this right your saying South Africa and Brazil are almost on a level par and will be almost equally as difficult to beat? If that's what you meant I really wouldn't agree.
    I think your pretty much right in understanding what I was getting at.
    Im NOT saying that south africa are as good as brazil!
    But they will be playing at home so BIG difference
    I am saying that if I was a team from one of the other pots and I had a choice of who to face from pot 1, I wouldnt automatically say south africa! and actually i would choose argentina and italy before them.
    Yes i probably would pick to face south africa before brazil.
    I was really wondering if the OP was totally disregarding SA or just saying they werent quite as good as the rest.
    So you do you think they will be pushovers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

adamski8 wrote: »
    I wouldnt automatically say south africa! and actually i would choose argentina and italy before them.

You would rather face the likes of Messi, Tevez and Aguero or Pirlo, Del Piero and Buffon instead of Benny McCarthy, Aaron Mokena and Kermit Erasmus?

I know who I would rather face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Headshot wrote: »
    South Africa have to be one of worse international sides ever to grace pot 1
    awful team

they wont even make the next round
    If Fifa and the sponsers have their way they will make it all the way to the semi's.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    You would rather face the likes of Messi, Tevez and Aguero or Pirlo, Del Piero and Buffon instead of Benny McCarthy, Aaron Mokena and Kermit Erasmus?

I know who I would rather face.
    yip, boliva didnt do too bad against them when they beat them in qualifying 6-1 this year and sure even ireland looked better than italy in qualifying :p

If we just go on results and not what superstars they have or havent got, then this year at home they have beaten zambia, norway, poland, madagascar, drew with jamaica and japan and lost to chile and serbia. I know this aint the great but these were only friendlies!
    In the confederations cup which they hosted they beat new zealand, drew with iraq and spain and narrowly lost to brazil.
    They have lost all of their away friendlies but not by much and havent been hammered.

Its not really fair bringing up a south african player who hasnt even been capped either!
    They also now have their old coach back recently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Alberto_Parreira
    They will be at home and have passionate support unlike the swiss and austrians! This is why I think they will up their game and be tough opponents for anyone.

Advertisement