Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving an image with a transparent background?

• 02-12-2009 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm doing a header for a site I'm designing and I would prefer to have a transparent background on it but I don't fancy losing quality by saving it as a .GIF or .PNG etc. Question is is it possible to do this but maintain the quality? AFAIK .jpg & bitmap won't allow transparent bg's. FWIW I'm using Photoshop & Dreamweaver both CS3. Thanks in advance, any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

In my experience, the only way I could save an image with a transparent background was using th png format, may be other ways though?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Ping24 or 32 are superior to jpgs and are the industry standard for transparent images on the web. You should use a pngfix aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Smyth wrote: »
    Ping24 or 32 are superior to jpgs and are the industry standard for transparent images on the web. You should use a pngfix aswell.

So the quality should be better than jpg AND it supports transparency? Sounds good, must try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If you're using a transparent image, your options are PNG or GIF.

PNG has more advanced support for transparency.

With a GIF, you only have 2 levels of transparency - on and off, so with a GIF generally need to matte the edges of the image with the color on which the image is going to sit. Otherwise, the edges will look jagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Worked a treat, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

im pretty sure its png8 as png8 is the only file format that supports transparency in ie6.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

red_ice wrote: »
    im pretty sure its png8 as png8 is the only file format that supports transparency in ie6.

That's why he should us the pngfix like I said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

soooo png8 is the industry standard? :D

Advertisement