Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights at the Rochestown Inn junction..

Options
  • 02-12-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed they are putting up traffic lights at the junction near the Rochestown Inn.
    Do they seriously expect these to be effective in the mornings during the peak times?
    The traffic is backed up all along the Rochestown road beyond the Rochestown Inn and I would presume lights will only give an advantage to the few cars and buses wishing to turn down for Rochestown College and it will allow the cars coming from the college to come out on green, the majority of the time I'd say drivers will be just standing in traffic looking at green-red-green-red etc..

I think the way it is at the moment where people let cars out seems to be the best of a bad situation and lights are going to make it worse by blocking up the entire junction even worse than it already is.

The real problem is the junction at Clarke's Hill, that's where they need to do something but as usual they are slow as ever, still at CPO stage I think.

Any else have an opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Is that what they are doing! I was wondering I lived up by the monastary and it was a nightmare getting into town in the mornings going that way i used to just go the back road much easier..

Why do they think putting lights there is the option all that will do as u say is block up the traffic even more...tards in control of the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

exactly Milly, I can only guess they are doing it to help possibly slow down traffic coming from Passage at off-peak times and to maybe reduce the chance of collisions at that junction, there have been a few lately.

But during the bumper to bumper mornings it's going to only add to the problem. Easy know it won't bother them, the civvies probably don't get into City Hall until 10pm;)

They should think properly about things, like why are there so many cars on the road because of the schools in the mornings, so what they should do is possibly put on extra buses going from Douglas to Passage/Monkstown or set up car polling systems in the schools perhaps even have more school buses...

Milly33 wrote: »
    They should think properly about things, like why are there so many cars on the road because of the schools in the mornings, so what they should do is possibly put on extra buses going from Douglas to Passage/Monkstown or set up car polling systems in the schools perhaps even have more school buses...

totally agree but I'd seriously say some of the parents out there wouldn't let their darlings take a bus, they want to take them to school to show off the SUV and upkeep the status..sad but true, I see it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Milly come on now think about it for a minute,Would you car share with someone from passage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

cork45 wrote: »
    Milly come on now think about it for a minute,Would you car share with someone from passage?

Where are you from Cork45?

Not Passage anyway Tommy........Thank god!

Not Passage anyway Tommy........Thank god!

Are you a member of the RCYC ? Do you own a yacht or motor-boat? Are you a langer ?

This one's for you Cork45 :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m9SsNxbZxM

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    Are you a member of the RCYC ? Do you own a yacht or motor-boat? Are you a langer ?

Are you from Passage? Is your sister your cousin?

• Advertisement

Are you from Passage? Is your sister your cousin?

oooohhhhh ... that's fightin talk :D

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    Where are you from Cork45?

ooh, I'll have you know people from Passage are fine, they will make you feel at ease while sharing your car and they will even stop to let you out whilst maintaining very good control of the knife to your neck;)

Oh Dear the which side of the field are you from haha :) Well i can proudly say that score ne I not from passage Im from upper Rochestown :)... We used to aslways do the car pool thing but true true it was always with out neighbours..Man i wish whoever is letting it rip in the bathroom in work would stop the smell is spreading

Calm down calm down.....Only joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Sorry to resurrect this thread but these lights are finally operating and proving a major headache. Seen people breaking the red light the whole time and y'know, theyre dead right. You could spend a few minutes there without one car coming from Raffeen direction. Its an absolute joke.

Can't wait for the school traffic to start up again. :mad:

telekon wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but these lights are finally operating and proving a major headache. Seen people breaking the red light the whole time and y'know, theyre dead right. You could spend a few minutes there without one car coming from Raffeen direction. Its an absolute joke.

Can't wait for the school traffic to start up again. :mad:

ooh, one of my old threads, but yes, wait for the hell to break loose in 2 weeks time when schools are back and little Illy and Trystan are being driven to school in mummy's X5...it's going to be a total nightmare.

Its back again, sorry for my very bad spelling too in the last replies..Yes they are very annoying so they are I was going along and forgot all about them they were flashing for so long, and then spotted they were working. Sat there in the car with a red light for ages, and there was nothing no cars on the road.

Again tis only the mornings when the traffic is there. And the two lanes too when you are coming from Rochestown lets say where the inn is on your right hand side there is barley enough room for two cars to maneuver there..

Milly33 wrote: »
    Its back again, sorry for my very bad spelling too in the last replies..Yes they are very annoying so they are I was going along and forgot all about them they were flashing for so long, and then spotted they were working. Sat there in the car with a red light for ages, and there was nothing no cars on the road.

And the two lanes too when you are coming from Rochestown lets say where the inn is on your right hand side there is barley enough room for two cars to maneuver there..

hmm, don't agree with you on that one, there's ample room for two cars beside each other but I think you will find the cars turning right aren't probably positioned properly, you know the ones, who know f*ck all about road positioning and they end up blocking everyone :mad:

I'd love to know the official word on the need for lights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

hmm, don't agree with you on that one, there's ample room for two cars beside each other but I think you will find the cars turning right aren't probably positioned properly, you know the ones, who know f*ck all about road positioning and they end up blocking everyone :mad:

I'd love to know the official word on the need for lights here.

Was onto a couple of the councillors last week to air my grievences (give out like mad) and they said it was something to do with a new cycle route.

Don't get what traffic lights have to do with cyclists. :confused:

telekon wrote: »
    Was onto a couple of the councillors last week to air my grievences (give out like mad) and they said it was something to do with a new cycle route.

Don't get what traffic lights have to do with cyclists. :confused:

wow, that's the worst excuse I've ever heard! and where the hell is the cycle path then :confused:
    A taxi driver (an authority on everything of course) informed me that he heard someone in county hall made a mistake when ordering traffic lights and as a result the council are installing new lights in loads of new places just to use them up...OK, another dumb rumour but it's nearly as plausible as the cyclists one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Can't they add some sort of logic to the lights so that they will go green once a car is detected and the opposite lights have no cars or something?

And what's the deal with the lights in Douglas near Barrys. They've been off for yonks and the traffic flows just fine without them!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Bill-e wrote: »
    Can't they add some sort of logic to the lights so that they will go green once a car is detected and the opposite lights have no cars or something?

Too much bother for someone I imagine. I love the junctions around Melbourne Road - Model Farm road. They all work by detecting traffic at the lights and work accordingly.
    Really pisses me off though when someone parks way too far back from the line at the exit from the Business Park so they are not on the pressure pad so the lights never go green. Some idiot stopped about 10 feet back from line with a queue of cars behind him. I have had to get out of my car a couple of times to tell them to move forward about 6 feet and hey presto...the lights go green.
    Bill-e wrote: »
    And what's the deal with the lights in Douglas near Barrys. They've been off for yonks and the traffic flows just fine without them!?

They were turned off when the new junction by Tesco opened fully. Much less traffic coming up the road by Barrys now (Church Road???) so no longer a need for the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What bugs me about the lights at the Rochestown Inn is that they were obviously going to cause mayhem yet somebody who supposedly plans these things with all the necessary information did not see the problems.
    I'm not sure what these lights have to do witha cycle lane, the first thing they need to do for cyclists is remove those two grated drains on the Pasage->Rochestown side of the road. They have the potential to be lethal, along with the way the verge is "designed".

Advertisement