Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii and DSi at Harvey Normans

• 02-12-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Went to Harvey Normans in Swords today, got a DSi in baby blue for €118, also picked up a black Wii sports resort console with an extra controller + Wii Play, nunchuck and motion plus.I also got the Wii fit plus board - €299 all in!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

This is probably the completely wrong thread for asking this (in fact it's definitely the wrong thread for asking this!), but I'm gonna ask it anyway! ;)

I'm kinda thinking about getting a Wii, but I've only ever played a buddies one once or twice. So...
    Are they really only a "party" console, or can they be played one player?
    All this talk about nunchucks/controllers/motion plus/fit boards/etc. What the hell are all those things, and what's actually needed?
    What should I be getting as a package to make it worth while?

Sorry for all the q's.:o

@ Basq. If this needs to be moved to somewhere else, work away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well, I sold on mine so I'll give you my perspective!
    Soarer wrote: »
    I'm kinda thinking about getting a Wii, but I've only ever played a buddies one once or twice. So...
    Are they really only a "party" console, or can they be played one player?
    They're aimed at parties for sure.. they have one-player games (the Legend of Zelda I had for it was very good) but they seem to take a back seat to ridiculous party games.
    All this talk about nunchucks/controllers/motion plus/fit boards/etc. What the hell are all those things?
    Wiimote (used for all games) and for navigation of menus:
    wiimote.jpg

Nunchuck (an optional extra.. used in plenty of games. Worthwhile to have at least one):
    Nunchuck-1.jpg

Motion Plus (an add-on to the Wiimote - improved sensitivity in movement)
    wii-motion-plus.jpg

Fit Board (used in Wii Fit / Wii Fit Plus and a few other games probably)
    wii-fit-board1.jpg
    What should I be getting as a package to make it worth while?
    I'd say go for a package.. they definitely work out cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

could'nt tell ya, bought it for the kids. but this is a definite bargain - I've been shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks guys, tis starting to make a bit of sense now! :o

I think I remember those nunchuck things. They connect to the wiimote via wire, yeah? And it can be used in like running games and the like?

More investigation needed methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think I remember those nunchuck things. They connect to the wiimote via wire, yeah? And it can be used in like running games and the like?
    Yep, or boxing in Wii Sports.

wii-sports-helps-boxer-rehabilitation.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

There is way more to the Wii than Party games or stuff just for kids. It doesn't have the graphics capabilities of the 360 or PS3 but the motion control adds a lot. And not all games rely on graphics so it doesn't make any odds that its on a Wii.

As for whats needed. Minimum 2 controllers but get 4 is you have ever have 4 to play. Most games are 1 or 2 though. You dont need more than 2 nunchuks and boxing is the only game that I've ever used 2. Most games dont use the nunchuk at all.

If you ever have non-Gamers in the house, the Wii can be picked up quite quickly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

We are going a bit off topic but I thought Id throw in my 2 cents.

I had a Wii but I sold it. It has great games like Zelda, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart. But its severe lack of "serious", non party games drove me to sell it.Although, There are times I miss playing Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Online Play is great fun and very easy to set up. I dont really regret selling it but it is great fun when you have a few people around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Some great single player games on the Wii as well as the party games
    Great list here
    1UP's Holiday Gift Guide 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Dsi in Baby Blue?
    They advertised in Black or White only,thats good to hear i`m going check Naas out,if not Smyths say they have the DSi in all colours at the same price :)

Funny, I saw that myself they were only black or white, but all they had left were baby blue and navy? that was a bonus for me because the youngest daughter actually wanted one in baby blue. I went from smyths where they were €169 to HN which is 2 doors down and saved over €50!

• Advertisement

Gregsor wrote: »
    Dsi in Baby Blue?
    They advertised in Black or White only,thats good to hear i`m going check Naas out,if not Smyths say they have the DSi in all colours at the same price :)

I think thats just the DS lite in smyths for the same price, like I said I priced one in smyths 5 minutes before I got one in HN's, and they were €169.99 for the DSi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Got a black one in Harvey Normans in Nutgrove this morning, great price. They were pushing a games package with it as well, didn't go for that, and an 'insurance' option of E40 as well - definately no thanks. But for the basic DSi its a real bargain at E118. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Did anyone see these in Blanchardstown?

kingaaa wrote: »
    I think thats just the DS lite in smyths for the same price, like I said I priced one in smyths 5 minutes before I got one in HN's, and they were €169.99 for the DSi's.

Yep you are right,the price was given to me over the phone by a shop assistant who didn`t know the difference and he gave me Ds lite price for Dsi,wasted half an hour`s drive to find out too :mad:.

Harvey Norman Naas only have the Black and White in stock and don`t really know when the other colours may come in or how long the offer goes on for.....

I`m holding out by the looks of it.

Yep you are right,the price was given to me over the phone by a shop assistant who didn`t know the difference and he gave me Ds lite price for Dsi,wasted half an hour`s drive to find out too :mad:.

Harvey Norman Naas only have the Black and White in stock and don`t really know when the other colours may come in or how long the offer goes on for.....

Gregsor wrote: »

to be honest mate I'd jump on it, cant see it lasting much longer. White for girls and black for boys!

to be honest mate I'd jump on it, cant see it lasting much longer. White for girls and black for boys!

I know but i did the same last year with the PSP and little miss wasn`t to happy:o,fingers crossed but by this day next week it will have to do if nought else changes with the Blue one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I saw the ad in the HN brochure and thought it must be a misprint. The photo shows a ds lite, the description is that of a ds lite, and the price resembles that of the ds lite as well.

Might have to go down there and check it out meself - a dsi for €118 is a bargain alright!

Advertisement