Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my horse yesterday

Options
  • 02-12-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

I'm feeling very down in the dumps today - my dad had to put my darling horse to sleep yesterday. What makes it worse is that I'm living abroad at the moment, so I haven't seen her in ages. I've known it was coming for a few weeks, but the finality is still a bit of a shock.

She died from old age basically. She was 18, and 3/4 bred, so I guess she did ok. It's unbelievable how quickly she turned into an old horse though. She actually had a great summer (she was never the best doer) and was looking great going into the winter. Then towards the end of September dad noticed that she was going back a bit. He thought first she might have picked up worms as she was on shared paddocks for the first time in years, and we've found it hard to get her free of worms previously (needed tubing). But we tackled that, to no avail. Followed up with bloods and the prognosis (from 3 different vets eventually) was that she was just getting old and was losing her ability to convert food into fat and losing her muscle tone, which was affecting her heart.

Dad pumped food into her for the past two months, while she was still bright and happy in herself. But in the last week she started getting a bit weak and going a little off her food so he pulled the plug as she was only going to get worse, and the last thing we would want is for her to suffer.

I guess all I can be thankful is that we had fun together and were able to give her a good life of nearly 14 years with us after a rough start (we're pretty sure she had the lard beaten out of her when she was being broken) and sorted all the 'issues' she came with as a result. I just wish their lifespan wasn't a fifth of ours...

Sorry for the essay, but I don't want to tell anyone in work as I would burst into tears and I know you guys will understand where I'm coming from. This is the third one to go in 19 years of owning horses, but it doesn't get any easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Poor You!!
    It must be really hard, especially since your in a different country. The same happened to me when i was living abroad, I balled my eyes out! Anyway it sounds like your horse had a great life and was looked after as well as possible in her old life. I'm just waiting for the day too. My old pony is 30 (they live a good bit longer than horses, yours was a good age) so any day now i suppose.........
    Just remember all the fun you had together, and maybe I'm a big sop but I think horses go to Heaven too!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Thanks Eorna. Yeah, she had a good innings really, and was in tip top form until 2 months ago so it wasn't a bad way to go I suppose. And we nearly lost her to colic years ago so I guess we should be grateful for the added years we got.

Your pony is doing great at 30, hope she has a few more left in her. My pony is nearly 21 now as well. I'll be totally and utterly devastated when she goes, we grew up together. But she thinks she's still five, and looks it too, and her sire lived to be 35, so hopefully she will be around for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Wow 35!, so I might have a few years left in her,you never know. Yeah ponies are tough little things ,mine was the exact same in her early 20's a right spring chicken, rearing to go! She only really started to look her age about 3 years ago. Sounds like your pony is heading the same way. I wonder what age is the oldest pony in Ireland......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I know exactly how you feel,only horse people get other horse people and don't know how much we love each other. She seems to have had a good life and it would be unfair for her to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Sorry for your sad loss.

Its better she passed on now before the worst of the cold weather.
    H.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Sorry for your loss, I had to make that decision for my fella a few years ago and it was horrible.
    I wish I knew about boards back then, because I was in work when it was done, couldn't get off, but my mum was there with him and I was in bits. No-one there could understand, I knew it was silly to be crying over a horse, but they would cry over their dogs I'm sure. And we had been through so much together over the 14 years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Thanks guys, it really helps to chat to people who understand. I'll probably get shot down by the doggy fans, but I think you develop more of a bond with your horse as trust is such an integral part of your relationship.

Advertisement