Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDR3 RAM, all i7 or socket 775 compatible

Options
  • 02-12-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading my processor to an Intel Core™ 2 Quad (have old dual core) with bus speed of 1333Mhz so I want to move from my current 2gb 1066 Mhz DDR2 to 4gb 1333 DDR3 to take advantage (my Gigabyte mobo has slots for both)

I've been browsing around Komplett and see lots of DDR3 RAM, but much of it claims to be for i7 boards. Am I right in presuming that as long as its DDR3, it will work in my DDR3 slots, even if my mobo is socket 775 and not i7? Or do the i7 boards require something of the RAM that makes them backwards incompatible?

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

theCzar wrote: »
    I'm upgrading my processor to an Intel Core™ 2 Quad (have old dual core) with bus speed of 1333Mhz so I want to move from my current 2gb 1066 Mhz DDR2 to 4gb 1333 DDR3 to take advantage (my Gigabyte mobo has slots for both)

I've been browsing around Komplett and see lots of DDR3 RAM, but much of it claims to be for i7 boards. Am I right in presuming that as long as its DDR3, it will work in my DDR3 slots, even if my mobo is socket 775 and not i7? Or do the i7 boards require something of the RAM that makes them backwards incompatible?

:confused:

The i7's have triple channel support, so a lot of the DDR3 kits come in sets of 3 to take advantage of that. It should be fine otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Voltage is also a factor, something I learned the hard way recently. Basically, i5/i7 boards are supposed to only supply a max of 1.65V to the RAM. That's probably why you might see a set of 2 with i5/i7 in their description.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Standard Dual-Channel - AM3, LGA775
    Low-Voltage Dual Channel - AM3, LGA775, LGA1156, LGA1366 (kinda)
    Low-Voltage Triple Channel - LGA1366

Advertisement