Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

am i being conned

• 02-12-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

my daughter entered a competition on line some weeks ago and got a phone call yesterday to say she won an all expenses holiday for 4 in florida, does it sound too good to be true ???:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

YES.
    Ignore any further calls, it's a scam.
    By the way, why post this in the taxation forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

depends where she entered it from.... some of the competitions are real. If its a reputable website (ie pigs back or aib or something like that) then it could well be true but if it was some unheard of website or just some pop up she clicked on or something it is most likely a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jambo55

well pardon my ignorance ,but i am a new kid on the block and was on the tax forum at the time ,thanks for your reply anyway .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I got a call a few years ago when I was off sick doing some survey. They rang back later to say I'd won a holiday in Florida. Was bored so let them go on about how wonderful the deal was, how they'd send me out a brochure and I could the holiday, etc etc.
    Eventually they got to the bit where they asked me for my address and then my credit card number "for verification". Told them I'd left it in work, but I could call them back the next day. They said they'd have to pass the offer on to someone else as soon as they hung up, practically begged me to search around for an old statement with my credit card details on it. I very apologetically told them I couldn't find one, they were off the phone in two seconds.
    Killed about 30 minutes of a slow day for me, and wasted the time of some scummy scammer fishing for credit card details.

Bottom line: never give any personal info out to unsolicited phone callers.

Advertisement