Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding newborns - your stories please!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

I hope your comment above about the pain was just a simple little giggle and nothing sarcastic because sometimes the breastfeeding brigade are well able to be sarcastic which is one of the reasons why people in difficulty with breastfeeding just give up, it's a combination of ignorance on the part of the people pushing breastfeeding and pressure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a baby doesn't get colic if being breast fed?? That may sound dumb but hey, I heard it on a video during ante-natal classes when they were plugging breastfeeding.

I´m sorry if my comment was unclear, I was staying in the polite and respectful tone which I normally find in this forum, so my comment was definitely not intended to be sarcastic towards any particular person, moreso generally about the impression which is strongly pushed on people that breastfeeding must be a bad experience at the beginning. I honestly spent the first two months of my daughter´s life waiting for the difficulties to begin, which was, in my case, unnecessary and rather stressful.

And babies of all sorts follow whatever rules they want to. My child has never done what the book says, in anything, so she had terrible colic, which continued for four months.

I also had a c-section, and my baby rooted across my body after the birth and latched on too, and had no problem with milk coming in, again, much sooner than is normal for even a vaginal birth.

And maybe feeding just comes naturally to me, but I´m preparing all of my child´s vegetables etc for her weaning myself, and also find it takes very little time or stress. For me, reading the ingredients on the back of all the little jars would take more time than preparing the food myself does. Maybe this will change.

Again, I only mean to respond respectfully with my posts,

Popel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Popel wrote: »
    And maybe feeding just comes naturally to me, but I´m preparing all of my child´s vegetables etc for her weaning myself, and also find it takes very little time or stress....

I'm not sure what fruit/veg preparation has to do with feeding coming naturally?! :confused: I'm fairly certain many people who find bf difficult also wean their children on home-made foods - some of us even grow our own!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Grawns wrote: »
    Not my experience of a section like I said milk came in more or less immediately and she knew what a nipple was like magic.

perhaps that was your experience but I do believe (from experience and from what experts have told me) that colostrum can often be 24 hours late arriving after a c-section...seems that your experience was an exceptional one so count yourself lucky, not necessarily well informed, just lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I´m sorry if my comment was unclear, I was staying in the polite and respectful tone which I normally find in this forum, so my comment was definitely not intended to be sarcastic towards any particular person, moreso generally about the impression which is strongly pushed on people that breastfeeding must be a bad experience at the beginning. I honestly spent the first two months of my daughter´s life waiting for the difficulties to begin, which was, in my case, unnecessary and rather stressful.

And babies of all sorts follow whatever rules they want to. My child has never done what the book says, in anything, so she had terrible colic, which continued for four months.

I also had a c-section, and my baby rooted across my body after the birth and latched on too, and had no problem with milk coming in, again, much sooner than is normal for even a vaginal birth.

And maybe feeding just comes naturally to me, but I´m preparing all of my child´s vegetables etc for her weaning myself, and also find it takes very little time or stress. For me, reading the ingredients on the back of all the little jars would take more time than preparing the food myself does. Maybe this will change.

Again, I only mean to respond respectfully with my posts,

Popel

Did they give you the baby right after the section?

Mine was taken to get cleaned and checked out and smacked around before I saw him about half an hour to 45 minutes later.

By, "it comes naturally to me" I mean, maybe it´s something that comes easily to me. I have a relaxed attitude to food preparation. I was also lucky that my child and I suited each other well for breastfeeding. Therefore, my 6months experience of newborn-feeding has been an easy experience.

While i am saying that this is the case for me, I do not wish to imply that anyone else´s experience is difficult or otherwise, by my comments on my own personal experience.

And the baby was given to me, laid on my stomach, within about three minutes. I didn´t give birth in Ireland however, so that´s probably the reason for the difference.

• Advertisement

By, "it comes naturally to me" I mean, maybe it´s something that comes easily to me. I have a relaxed attitude to food preparation. I was also lucky that my child and I suited each other well for breastfeeding. Therefore, my 6months experience of newborn-feeding has been an easy experience.

While i am saying that this is the case for me, I do not wish to imply that anyone else´s experience is difficult or otherwise, by my comments on my own personal experience.

And the baby was given to me, laid on my stomach, within about three minutes. I didn´t give birth in Ireland however, so that´s probably the reason for the difference.

I didnt give birth in Ireland either. THey took the baby to clean him up and smack the fluids out of his lungs etc, [when the are born naturally all the crying and screaming they do is supposed to help do this naturally].

I do think that attitude has a lot to do with it. Part of my point. Its hard to relax with the breasfeeding nazis around.

perhaps that was your experience but I do believe (from experience and from what experts have told me) that colostrum can often be 24 hours late arriving after a c-section...seems that your experience was an exceptional one so count yourself lucky, not necessarily well informed, just lucky.

I had a lot of colustrum leaking out even before the birth but it was never enough. Plus I was so drugged and the baby probably was too that it just wasnt happenning and he ended up losing too much weight an the ped in the hospital told me to start using the bottle. I started using the bottle and kept trying with the breast, there just was no let down.

The whole thing was really depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Sorry Popel, I was being facetious, I should have added a smiley smiley! :D

I´m in Germany. They said she was a bit distressed from a long labour and the shock of being taken out, so they put her on me, skin to skin, so that feeling me, and hearing my heartbeat might calm her a bit. They were also worried that she wasn´t breatheing deeply enough to clear her lungs, and spent a little while trying to get her to do a proper cry. But this was all while she was on me.

I actually have no experience of the breastfeeding nazis that are being spoken about. Though some members of my irish family have proven to be formula-feeding nazis. Which isn´t a nice thing either. I don´t think anyone should have to defend how they feed their child. Everyone does what they have to do. I am also not very vocal about any of my breastfeeding experience, and certainly not to someone who is trying to figure out a new baby, so I don´t think I am one of those breastfeeders who try to make others feel insecure about not breastfeeding. But the attitude here does seem to be a very relaxed one and all the people in my after-birth-gymnastics course were breastfeeding, some with difficulties, some without.

I´m in Germany. They said she was a bit distressed from a long labour and the shock of being taken out, so they put her on me, skin to skin, so that feeling me, and hearing my heartbeat might calm her a bit. They were also worried that she wasn´t breatheing deeply enough to clear her lungs, and spent a little while trying to get her to do a proper cry. But this was all while she was on me.

I actually have no experience of the breastfeeding nazis that are being spoken about. Though some members of my irish family have proven to be formula-feeding nazis. Which isn´t a nice thing either. I don´t think anyone should have to defend how they feed their child. Everyone does what they have to do. I am also not very vocal about any of my breastfeeding experience, and certainly not to someone who is trying to figure out a new baby, so I don´t think I am one of those breastfeeders who try to make others feel insecure about not breastfeeding. But the attitude here does seem to be a very relaxed one and all the people in my after-birth-gymnastics course were breastfeeding, some with difficulties, some without.

You are very lucky. Thats exactly how they should do it. I think at least my experience, and Im sure many others, was barbaric medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

How do/did you feed your newborn baby?
    -2 daughters both breastfed.

Why did you choose that method?
    - Wife is Swedish.
    Only people who formula feed on the continent do it if there is medical / other problems preventing breast feeding.

If you chose formula, were there particular reasons you didn't breastfeed (medical, emotional, social etc).
    -NA

If you chose to breastfeed, what assisted your decision?
    - We are mammals. We have evolved to breastfeed. Childs IQ etc

If you chose combined feeding, was it successful?
    -Eventually (ie at 6-12 months)
    - Worked we had to use the special tit-like bottles (mothercare)

Whichever method of feeding you chose, have you encountered any difficulties?
    - See above also second child was premature 6 weeks so milk wasn't in.
    Found a great tip on the web - Fenugreek - milk ahoy after a couple of days.

How/when do you plan to wean your baby?
    - 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

On the c-section thing: I think it is possible that milk comes in later, but not for everyone, especially if you breastfeed often and have good support at the beginning. I have no doubt that being in hospital for 5 days, on a private ward with lots of supportive midwives, helped me breastfeed my twins. I was able to kiss my twins in the OR, but not hold them. I breastfed for the first time an hour later after I came out of recovery, and had colostrum then.

How do/did you feed your newborn baby? I had twins, and their were breastfed for 6 months

Why did you choose that method? I didn't really think about bottle feeding tbh, breastfeeding is always what I wanted to do, I was breastfed myself and where I am originally from (Switzerland) it is the norm. But once I saw the price of formula, I was sold :P Health benefits and bonding is great too.

If you chose to breastfeed, what assisted your decision? Price of formula, husband being supportive (and at home for the first while, as it is hard work feeding two).

Whichever method of feeding you chose, have you encountered any difficulties? They wanted to be fed at the same time. This was fine at home, and reduced the time it took me to feed them, but meant I couldn't really feed outside the home as it is impossible to breastfeed twins together discreetly. So we timed outings for inbetween feeds. Some people (including a PHN!) told me that it wasn't possible to exclusively breastfeed twins. Fortunately my doctor, GP, and midwives at the hospital were very supportive.

How/when do you plan to wean your baby? I weaned at 6 months over the space of a month or so; mostly because I had abad cold and supply devcreased, and as they were on solids and eating well, I decided not to work on increasing it again. I kind of regret that now, and hope to breastfeed at least a year if not two with this baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

...I was so drugged and the baby probably was too that it just wasnt happenning ...

That's interesting. I wonder is there any link between pain meds used during labour and breast/formula feeding rates? I have heard that the 'norm' for giving birth in the US is very medicalised, with epidurals and legs-in-stirrups commonplace. Epis are popular here too but I have no clue if women who have had one are more likely to formula feed. If so, I suppose the link could be that a more medicalised birth could have been a more traumatic one, leaving the new mum more vulnerable (emotionally, physically) and less eager to take on the task of learning to breastfeed. Anyone have any ideas?

bogtotty wrote: »
    That's interesting. I wonder is there any link between pain meds used during labour and breast/formula feeding rates? I have heard that the 'norm' for giving birth in the US is very medicalised, with epidurals and legs-in-stirrups commonplace. Epis are popular here too but I have no clue if women who have had one are more likely to formula feed. If so, I suppose the link could be that a more medicalised birth could have been a more traumatic one, leaving the new mum more vulnerable (emotionally, physically) and less eager to take on the task of learning to breastfeed. Anyone have any ideas?

I dont know. I was drugged from an epi [no stirrups], general ansesthetic, morphine, and vicodin. They say the baby isnt affected but I find that hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

bogtotty wrote: »

I had read that pethidine could make baby sleepy and therefore be difficult to latch on. I had morpheine after the c-section and I didn't really notice the effect it had on my daughter, maybe because of the morpheine haze....;)

When I had my c-section my milk came in on time as well but as it was my second time breastfeeding I knew what to look out for. My daughter worked hard all day until midnight to bring in the milk on the 2nd or 3rd day. The MW even wanted to take her away to give me a rest, I wouldn't let her and she looked surprised when I said that she was bringing on the milk and right enough I was huge the next day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I dont know. I was drugged from an epi [no stirrups], general ansesthetic, morphine, and vicodin. They say the baby isnt affected but I find that hard to believe.

Both of my BF books have cited research that shows that babies of Mums that have the above are generally drowsier, sleep more and tend to have a weaker suck.

I also know a girl whose baby somehow managed to get a dose of anesthetic and had to be given breathing assistance for a few weeks even though she was full term.

I would be wary of anyone saying that it definitely has no effect on the baby, although a lot of the time it probably has very little effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 twomaddogs

I read about babies being drowsy after labour meds which cross the placenta too so I didn't have any drugs in labour and DD latched straight away. Still had trouble getting the latch right, but she was trying straight away anyway...

-DD breastfed, currently pregnant again and will BF this one

- All my family BF so it's normal for us, also the health benefits as I had some potentially fatal allergies as a child and wanted to do everything I could to make sure DD didn't get the same (she was allergy tested at 9 months and has none at all)

If you chose formula, were there particular reasons you didn't breastfeed (medical, emotional, social etc).
    -NA

- Just never contemplated formula, BF seemed the natural choice

-N/A

- LOTS - mainly from healthcare professionals. Doctor advised me to switch to formula every time I saw him for no reason (said I looked tired, give her a bottle etc). DD had thrush for four weeks before I could get it diagnosed, by which time it was really bad and I had breast thrush. Took another 6 weeks to get rid of it, during which time I had mastitis twice due to bad feeding because of the thrush. Doctor told me there was no such thing as breast thrush and misdiagnosed DD with a kidney infection, giving a prescription for antibiotics (worst thing for thrush). PHN told me DD was allergic to my milk when she had thrush. Midwives in hospital were terrible for helping getting BF established - they'd grab DD and force her onto me by the back of the neck while she screamed and we both got distressed. Eventually got one patient midwive who had BF herself who talked me through it but let me and DD do it ourselves. Also had lots of negativity from family and friends who didn't BF and was made to hide away in cold rooms to feed when they were present.

- She started solids at 6 months, I did baby led weaning and she also had breast milk. Fully weaned from breast milk at 13 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Breastfeeding my 8 month old

I wanted to give her the best start in life and after doing lots of reading I decided to try breastfeeding. I went into it with an open mind - if it worked great, if it didnt we'ed just formula feed.

N?A

My mother and mother in law both breastfed, my partner wanted me to try it and I wanted to try it. My reasoning that as mammals, it's what we're designed for and it's whats best for our young.

N/A

Many, many difficulties. Mainly with pain, cracked nipples, thankfully it didnt get as far as bleeding. I was fairly shy at the beginning and we were in the hospital for 4 days. I wasn't confident enough to keep asking for assistance and we had trouble with the latch - baby got jaundiced and we had to give her a bottle to ensure she was getting fluids. This knocked my confidence and I would have given up there and then only my partner was so supportive and we got expressing. We had difficulties with latch for about the 8 weeks but eventually we got the hang of it and she's still feeding 8 months later. It was horrendously painful at times but my sheer stubborness kept me persevering.....and being able to express so my partner could give her the odd bottle, giving me a break.
    I too felt that the midwives were hit and miss. I got different advice from each one we encountered and whilst well meaning, some of it really did sabotage our efforts to establish the breastfeeding.

Started solids at 5 months and is well established now. Still breastfeeding for the forseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

Thanks again, everyone. Great responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Breastfed
    Had some scans when pregnant which confirmed that baby was human so I chose human milk instead of modified cows milk.:D
    Read about whats in breastmilk, antibodies, hormones, enzymes etc. I did not want my daughter to be deprived of these.

Some minor problems that we worked out with a lactation consultant. There is help there if you look for it.
    She is on solids since 6 months and will continue to breastfeed as long as she wants to.

In my opnion there are some seriously awful reasons why more babies in Ireland are not breastfed. The hospitals are bad, thats true but most people don't go past giving it a quick try in the labour ward before giving up. Society is not accepting, see the comments on this board over the last few months. Most men can't see beyond their own mammy and how she raised them (which is nearly always the bottle) to look for something better for their chldren.
    Formula is marketed and promoted heavily here too.
    Most mothers have no idea what an immune system is and what they are depriving their children of by formula feeding. Its not just food.

The hospitals push Pethidene which is known to make the baby too sleepy to breasfeed well when he or she is born, but it keeps the wards quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Breastfed.

Health reasons.

The abundance of research showing breastfeeding is better for children both in the short and long term. Plus my wife was determined to do it so she got through the initial difficult phase.

Only for emergency feeds for when my wife had to be away from home. It worked fine though it was rarely needed.

Breastfeeding can be tricky/painful at the start for a lot of women. Once the baby and mother get used to it though it's pretty hassle free. You just need to get through the initial rough patch and you'll most likely find it as convenient (or more so) than bottle feeding after a while.

Solids were introduced to our first born at four months (two months earlier than planned) due to weight reasons. With our recent arrival we'll take it as it comes and delay solids to six months if she doesn't have weight gain issues. Full weaning will happen at around 12 months most likely with a slow transfer to formula for the second year.

Advertisement