Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature rules enforced.

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:30pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all... something I've been meaning to do for some time, we've constrained the sig tags to disallow things already prohibited by the sig rules. It should lighten the load of the Sigpo and clean the place up a bit.

We're aware that it may impact a few sigs but nothing has been changed that wasnt already prohibited in our existing (and long standing!) rules.

The changes now remove the following tags:
    Size (nothing greater then 2, which is regular size)
    Alignment
    Font
    Code
    PHP
    HTML

This is to clean up sigs and improve readability for people who have sigs on.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

PS: this will apply to all users, mods and admins.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Nice. Simple fix which should clean things up a bit.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

pps: This will take time to wash through all of our layers of caching and preprocessing... it will take days to weeks to be seen retroactively but is applied to new sigs automatically.

DeV.

We're not allowed to use any of those tags anymore?!

Bit strict dare I say..

You were never allowed to use them. I dont think many people will actually notice either... (which ones are you referring to specifically?)

DeV.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    Nice. Simple fix which should clean things up a bit.

Man your sig is distracting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

DeVore wrote: »
    Hey all... something I've been meaning to do for some time, we've constrained the sig tags to disallow things already prohibited by the sig rules. It should lighten the load of the Sigpo and clean the place up a bit.

We're aware that it may impact a few sigs but nothing has been changed that wasnt already prohibited in our existing (and long standing!) rules.

The changes now remove the following tags:
    Size (nothing greater then 2, which is regular size)
    Alignment
    Font
    Code
    PHP
    HTML

This is to clean up sigs and improve readability for people who have sigs on.

DeV.

Will this lock out things like Last.fm / TickerFactory sigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

it shouldn't. you can find really handy html to vb code converters through google. is there a list of widgets allowed in sigs?

No. this just strips out the vb BB tags mentioned in the OP.

Afaik, things like the Flickr image, Last.FM and others are done on the image serving server-side and then simply served as an image. Since we arent limiting external images, those things shouldnt be affected.

DeV.

Nerin wrote: »
    it shouldn't. you can find really handy html to vb code converters through google. is there a list of widgets allowed in sigs?
    No, but common sense applies. If its flashes, flickers or jumps up and down, its going to get deleted with avengence.... Sigs are a place to put a personal message or highlight a particular *thing* you find interesting. They arent places for ads, and there is an important distinction between "highlighting" and "drawing attention to".

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

No, but common sense applies. If its flashes, flickers or jumps up and down, its going to get deleted with avengence.... Sigs are a place to put a personal message or highlight a particular *thing* you find interesting. They arent places for ads, and their is an important distinction between "highlighting" and "drawing attention to".

DeV.

so pretty much things like tickerfactory and last.fm are ok because (i presume :p ) they only move once or twice per day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Man your sig is distracting!

Eye catching ..... and as a advertising desiger I thank you for the complement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nerin wrote: »
    so pretty much things like tickerfactory and last.fm are ok because (i presume :p ) they only move once or twice per day?
    well they only change when you refresh the page at least. :pac:

Now if we could automagically enforce image size..

Image size is a tricky one.... we could have limited the number of images to 1 but some people have sigs with a couple of small images which arent intrusive.

We can force people to upload their sig image via the control panel but that seemed overly dictatorial and awkward. In the end we decided to leave those things alone and just block the tags which are undesireable from the get go.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Question: My Jon stewart quote is still center-aligned. Is that not blocked or will it be blocked the next time I go to change my sig?

No it will simply not be centred. The tag shouldn't be visible either, it simply wont have an effect on the rendering.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

alingment? As in left right or centre?

My sig is centred as usual.. Perhaps if i never ever log off again i will be able to keep it :pac:

Centred sigs are the devil....

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Centred sigs are the devil....

DeV.

I never saw what the issue is with them? Don't use it myself but I think some sigs look better with it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It breaks the flow of the thread and almost inevitably is an advertisment of some kind :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It breaks the flow of the thread and almost inevitably is an advertisment of some kind :)

DeV.
    How does it break the flow of the thread. It stays centre no matter what width the page is. I'm with ScienceNerd on this one I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Quazzie wrote: »
    How does it break the flow of the thread. It stays centre no matter what width the page is. I'm with ScienceNerd on this one I'm afraid.
    For many people the eye will be following down the left hand side, where the sentence is expected to start. A centred sig forces your attention elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I took this feedback on board and went to change my sig. Upon doing so I noticed there is not no option to change allignment. It looks like I'm stuck with my centred sig for the moment until an Admin or the Sigpo get aroung to it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Quazzie wrote: »
    I took this feedback on board and went to change my sig. Upon doing so I noticed there is not no option to change allignment. It looks like I'm stuck with my centred sig for the moment until an Admin or the Sigpo get aroung to it.
    Sorted that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Sorted that for you.

Another 649 for you to go. :)

This is a job for... work-experience admin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Nah, just a job for a quick SQL query. :D

/has a word with his shop steward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'd fix it for you, but I'm on a work-to-rule (see above).

Advertisement