Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Playoff matches to be Seeded

• 02-12-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

This is seriously unfair to the smaller nations, but at least they are saying it up front this time.

But as an extra blow, the seeded team also gets to play their away match first. This is blatant favouritism.

So in essence, if you're one of the smaller nations you almost have to win you're qualifying group by finishing ahead of one of the Seeded teams and if can't manage that you'll have to beat a seeded team in the playoff. Tough ask.

Why don't FIFA just tell the smaller nations that they don't want them and just have a separate tournament with all the big nations?

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

BaZmO* wrote: »
    This is seriously unfair to the smaller nations, but at least they are saying it up front this time.

But as an extra blow, the seeded team also gets to play their away match first. This is blatant favouritism.

So in essence, if you're one of the smaller nations you almost have to win you're qualifying group by finishing ahead of one of the Seeded teams and if can't manage that you'll have to beat a seeded team in the playoff. Tough ask.

Why don't FIFA just tell the smaller nations that they don't want them and just have a separate tournament with all the big nations?

Link
    Less money if the small nations don't get to try and qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Meh. In 2016 there'll 24 teams so we *should* be qualifying everytime from then on. Selfish I know but what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Less money if the small nations don't get to try and qualify
    But that's the unfortunate thing, it's all about money and not really a fair contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

But that's the unfortunate thing, it's all about money and not really a fair contest.
    Of course it is we are talking about UEFA and FIFA fifa who are led by a man who was responsible for the collapse of FIFA's marketing partner ISL had led to losses of up to $100m under Blatter's management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Is the top 2 in the group not automatic no?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

GerCPM wrote: »
    Is the top 2 in the group not automatic no?:confused:

No.

9 groups of 5/6 teams.
    9 winners + 1 best runner up, + 4 playoff winners qualify to join the co-hosts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It is a digrace imo. Regardless of when they announce it.

The groups are seeded to begin with, so each group should be even. If a smaller team finishes second ahead of a bigger nation, then they have done so by being better over the 8/10 games, and theoretically proven themselves equal of all the other sides that have finished second.. They should not be further punished for previous performances. It is a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It is a digrace imo. Regardless of when they announce it.

The groups are seeded to begin with, so each group should be even. If a smaller team finishes second ahead of a bigger nation, then they have done so by being better over the 8/10 games, and theoretically proven themselves equal of all the other sides that have finished second.. They should not be further punished for previous performances. It is a disgrace.

I agree.. If they were seeding by performance within the group it would be acceptable, i.e the 4 runners up with the most points are the seeded teams then it would as least be consistent with how they normally do their seedings for club competitions. And it would give a perhaps deserved advantage to the teams who came closest to qualifying automatially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I agree.. If they were seeding by performance within the group it would be acceptable, i.e the 4 runners up with the most points are the seeded teams then it would as least be consistent with how they normally do their seedings for club competitions. And it would give a perhaps deserved advantage to the teams who came closest to qualifying automatially.

Yeah - THIS i agree with. the best 4 based on performances in the groups would be acceptable, but based on anything else is a joke. Its simply giving way too much of an advantage to the bigger nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Talk about giving "smaller" countries the two fingers.
    Fair play my fcuking hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm waiting for the first person to come in saying, well if we were seeded you wouldn't be complaining :rolleyes:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm waiting for the first person to come in saying, well if we were seeded you wouldn't be complaining :rolleyes:

Not in this lifetime buddy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not in this lifetime buddy.

Happened last time

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Playing away 2nd gives you an extra 30 mins to score an away goal if it's a draw, which I think is unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Football isn't a fair contest full stop.
    Just look at the so called Champions League, how many sides have been constantly competing in that competition without even challenging for their domestic title for years?
    Football seems to be all about creating big sporting brand names to compete with the big U.S sports brands, as a result we've ended up with a sort of footballing class system.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Is anyone surprised? Only a matter of time before the bigger nations get a bye into the European Championship and World Cup anyway's. To much money to be made and football is a major business these day's.

Advertisement