Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They kicked me out...

• 02-12-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

I like real life photography so I wanted to take some of them in Asylum Seekers in Cork so I asked 2 guys from stuff except manager... so he throw me out.I know I'm not a press but it would be nice to get in some day and show how they live,or it's banned topic nowadays?Any ideas how to get permission to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

woytek_tzn wrote: »
    I like real life photography so I wanted to take some of them in Asylum Seekers in Cork so I asked 2 guys from stuff except manager... so he throw me out.I know I'm not a press but it would be nice to get in some day and show how they live,or it's banned topic nowadays?Any ideas how to get permission to do it?

Politely write/phone and explain why you want do it, what you will photograph and where the images will be used. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you respect peoples wishes to be photographed or not.

Turning up unannounced is not a great idea and no wonder they kicked you out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was this in a government department office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You can't go in to a building and take photos of people without their permission. Manners will get you far in life.

I like food and television, I'm going to turn up to your house and cook myself a dinner while watching your TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Op it'd be worse if they kept you in.....

Very much doubt the govt. would make it easy for just anyone to document that, immigrants are a touchy subject in general now that the recession is biting natives. Unless there's more hardship in that place than jobless/homeless/sick citizens endure I'd imagine that raising awareness is more likely to backfire and lead to calls for quicker repatriation....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭woytek_tzn

I asked two people and both of them said they are managers and they let me it,I always ask if someone want to be photographed or not,I have manners,I was trying to explain where I want to post them and in general why I am there but I just heard "out" , "out" ... "please go out" , they didn't even let me explain.First two of them lied and then third one kicked me out:confused:
    Any ideas how to get there?where to go?any organizations?

Who kicked you out, the managers or the refugees ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You will have to do some research in to who runs the place in question. Google can be of use there. Then write to the and request access, giving your reasons for wanting access. Even those with a press pass need to do that.

But, if the people inside don't want to be photographed, then there is nothing you can do, except respect their wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

IB4TL

Some guy kicked me out,I don't think he's a manager.I will write to them like someone said.And I'm always respecting if someone don't want to be photographed.

• Advertisement

This would be my approach.

Write and get permission to go in.

Arrive without camera, talk to people, listen to them, support them. Ask can you return at some stage a take a few photos.

Return and repeat the process again and only at the very end take a few shots, not too many either.

Building up a rapport with your subject can often make for better shots and a lot less hassle.

T.

Covey wrote: »
    This would be my approach.

Write and get permission to go in.

Arrive without camera, talk to people, listen to them, support them. Ask can you return at some stage a take a few photos.

Return and repeat the process again and only at the very end take a few shots, not too many either.

Building up a rapport with your subject can often make for better shots and a lot less hassle.

T.
    and that's exactly what I was trying to do,I didn't wanted to go there and take pics of poor people and be famous then.I wanted to do good documentary photo session,to be there for few days,maybe weeks and talk to the people,taking few photographs.I really like the subject and I think this is the only way for me,long and curved I know but the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Were you born yesterday? Sounds like you believe you have a right to go in and photograph them just because you want to. What do you think it is? A Zoo? You should get a grip and follow Coveys advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

OP have you done documentary work like this previously, this maybe an advantage when you're asking for permission to shoot in there.

Something in one of your posts worries me. I don't think you'll be famous for shooting these people or the terrible situation they're in, maybe that's not what you're after.

trishw78 wrote: »
    OP have you done documentary work like this previously, this maybe an advantage when you're asking for permission to shoot in there.

Something in one of your posts worries me. I don't think you'll be famous for shooting these people or the terrible situation they're in, maybe that's not what you're after.

so I'm tellin you now you don't have to be worried about it.

Aside from going about it in the right way, which you're plainly not, I think you're taking the wrong approach to this.

You seem to be approaching it that the photos are the object, when to my mind it should be about the people and their stories. The photos will follow.

so I'm tellin you now you don't have to be worried about it.

TBh, your attitude on here stinks. Little wonder you got chucked out. Bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Op, your attitude and behaviour gives all genuine photographers with a love of documentary work a bad name.

I've never undertaken such work but Covey has given some great advice, however I think it's safe to assume it's wasted on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I think a bit of a chill pill is in order here.

Sounds like the OP approached the place initially, there was a misunderstanding, and he was rebuffed.
    My reading of his posts so far is that he HAS taken coveys advice and DOES think that's the best way to go about continuing. He hasn't expressed this in perhaps the clearest way possible as I presume english is not his first language so I think allowances have to be made for this in terms of how this thread is being perceived.

Daire, I was taking account of his english, but his reply to Trish is simply out of order imo. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Covey wrote: »
    Daire, I was taking account of his english, but his reply to Trish is simply out of order imo. :(

I didn't take it as meant badly. People can appear quite brusque and sometimes rude if they're discussing something, particularly typing something, in a different language. I just took it as he was confirming what he'd said in his previous post when he'd said "I didn't wanted to go there and take pics of poor people and be famous then." in response to Trishws' "I don't think you'll be famous for shooting these people or the terrible situation they're in, maybe that's not what you're after."

We'll agree to differ. Anyway lets move on ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

@OP, can't help you with who you should talk to, but I'm sure if you do some research you'll find out who you need to talk to. Perhaps talk to some of the non-governmental groups or charities who work with the people you want to photograph? They might be a tremendous help to you if approached correctly, or at least might be able to point you in the right direction.

You say the guys who let you in "said they were managers", which to me implies you don't know for certain? Perhaps the best bet would be to get something IN WRITING in future, and make sure you have a visitors pass.

Anouilh wrote: »
    It's the middle of Winter and there's a full moon due so everybody can be a bit fraught at the moment.

You're priceless, you are :pac::pac:

Covey,as far as I know I understand what I type and what my emotions are then,I'm not Russian,I don't throw **** and **** everywhere,I listen yhen I think and then I communicate,I'm not typical Polish,don't worry,I'm ****in photographer 4 **** sake,I'm doin' mistakes and I'm asking questions,forgive me or not.

sineadw,will try simple first (letter) then I'll visit them (if letter won't help) ,then I'll do something else,anyway it's not the important building there:D

ps.u r takin' it too seriously guys,it's just PHOTOGRAPHY:rolleyes:

ps.u r takin' it too seriously guys,it's just PHOTOGRAPHY:rolleyes:

Were talking about vulnerable people not photography.:(

I leave it at this as I think we're on different planets here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

did he throw you out before or after you took any photos?#

i think that's a sensitive subject you're trying to photograph. Building a report is very important in this case. i think you should visit the place a few times first, get to know the people that work there and those that need the facility. once you've done that they might let you bring the camera in...good luck

Advertisement