Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland (just Dublin City?) a xenophobic melting pot....from The Economist

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

Orinally posted this in AH...My opinion, this is a more general article as the title of the article indicates, but
    whatdyaknow...its seems that since the investigation was held in Dublin, therefore it's a Dublin issue only, not an Irish issue... :confused:

...still a shocking article.

http://www.moreintelligentlife.com/s...ing-pot?page=1

"Trade's bad on Moore Street's markets, and many traders blame foreigners", writes a correspondent for Economist.com. Immigration is at the root of all Ireland's ills, say increasingly angry locals ...

Comments

• I can't see for the life of me why this is a Dublin issue and not one for AH but OK....

I read all the comments at the bottom of the article and I couldn't believe the hypocrisy of telling the foreigners to go home, when Ireland has had such a history of emigration. It's FINE for Irish to go to New York, Sydney, San Francisco, and expect to be welcomed, but it's not OK for foreigners to settle in Ireland? Ireland has accepted handouts and investments from other countries for years, was all fine and dandy during the Celtic Tiger, but now it's all 'Ireland for the Irish'? It doesn't work like that. I really think a lot of Irish are pig ignorant, and plain thick, to be honest, that they can't see what the problem is and deny that they're racist and xenophobic. I'm so glad to see the back of the place, won't be rushing back anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

[quote=[Deleted User];63300994]I read all the comments at the bottom of the article and I couldn't believe the hypocrisy of telling the foreigners to go home, when Ireland has had such a history of emigration[/QUOTE]

I would imagine they cherry picked people who know nothing of Irelands history to get the maximum shock affect. I wouldn't panic, stomp off and promise not to rush back to your home over a silly article like that.

[quote=[Deleted User];63300994]I can't see for the life of me why this is a Dublin issue and not one for AH but OK....[/QUOTE]

I think the OP likes to trawl the net for "shocking" stories about Dublin and then post them here.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

[quote=[Deleted User];63300994] It's FINE for Irish to go to New York, Sydney, San Francisco, and expect to be welcomed.[/quote]

You need a work permit to get into these cities/countries. Your comparison is flawed on so many levels.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

I also think its an Irish issue, even by the title... but there you go

We can turn a blind eye though to any negative article...but I don't...,I take everything written about my city on the chin, :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Don't go giving me work lads!.

• Advertisement

We can turn a blind eye though to any negative article...but I don't...,I take everything written about my city on the chin, :o

Whats wrong with the article? Whats wrong with Dubliners wanting their city to remain predominantly Irish?

• PaulieD wrote: »
    You need a work permit to get into these cities/countries. Your comparison is flawed on so many levels.:rolleyes:

No, it isn't. If you want to be pedantic, let's say England then. I live in London and there's TONS of Irish people here. Most of the ones I know get offended by even a mildly offensive comment/mocking, yet wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone being racially abused in Dublin. They expect to be welcomed and treated well wherever they go, but they say they're sick of 'foreigners ruining the Irish culture'. It's one rule for them, another rule for everyone else.

• PaulieD wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the article? Whats wrong with Dubliners wanting their city to remain predominantly Irish?

Nothing, once they all stay in Dublin and don't expect to be welcomed elsewhere. It's the blatant hypocrisy that gets me.

I take everything written about my city on the chin, :o

I read lots about the city, but I don't read about the city and then post up the links on websites.

I experience it the city. In real life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The Economist is on a mission against Ireland judging by the Paddywhacking nature of it's take on our economy and country in recent months. It's clear the magazine has a prejudice against Ireland. Even during the good times it could not resist a pop.

BTW some of the comments on that page are, as far as I can see, pretty xenophobic themselves against the Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

That's such a blantantly contrived piece of journalism. I wonder did they buy it from the Daily Mail or maybe the Sunday Indo.

Of course if you go to a low socio economic area in a recession you're going to find people who don't like immigrants because immigrants take the jobs they'd traditionally gone for.

You could ask any question you liked and specifically target a socio economic group that held the view you're trying to reinforce but it doesn't mean sh1t if it's partial and contrived.

There's nothing new in that but it's a badly written, deliberately emotive piece of rag journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

PaulieD wrote: »

Why, foreigners won't stop them from supprting Man United or Liverpool.

There's nothing new in that but it's a badly written, deliberately emotive piece of rag journalism.

It's not only that - this is one of many attacks by the magazine on Ireland. Remember this is sold all over the world and read by millions. There is an agenda at play here. Same with publications like the Financial Times. We have been getting it in the neck and it's stupid articles from all these publications that have our borrowing as expensive as it is! These contived, dishonest and calculated articles are having bad consequences for us.

darkman2 wrote: »
    It's not only that - this is one of many attacks by the magazine on Ireland. Remember this is sold all over the world and read by millions. There is an agenda at play here. Same with publications like the Financial Times. We have been getting it in the neck and it's stupid articles from all these publications that have our borrowing as expensive as it is! These contived, dishonest and calculated articles are having bad consequences for us.

After the Murphy Report the country needs to be exposed as a backward hell hole.

After the Murphy Report the country needs to be exposed as a backward hell hole.

What has that got to do with this topic? Or is trolling an occupation of yours?

darkman2 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with this topic? Or is trolling an occupation of yours?

Seriously not trolling, Irish people seem to have a problem with criticism from other places but have no trouble lobbing it around. Ireland needs to do alot of soul searching. What i think it has to do wit the topic is that we are now reaping a whirlwind, years of gombeenism has helped create the conditions the country is now faced with, maybe if we are mocked enough we might cop on.

Seriously not trolling, Irish people seem to have a problem with criticism from other places but have no trouble lobbing it around. Ireland needs to do alot of soul searching. What i think it has to do wit the topic is that we are now reaping a whirlwind, years of gombeenism has helped create the conditions the country is now faced with, maybe if we are mocked enough we might cop on.

It's bullsheet reports like that that people have a problem with. It's a pile of crap with a "we told you so" agenda.

I would replace cronyism with gombeenism though. Spot on then!

At least we can discuss. It may exist or not in peoples opinions but we have to deal with these reports on our country.

If this was the Sunday Indo, it would be binned and ignored, we know they are the rubbish on all accounts.

But "The Economist" is a world wide respected news journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

At least we can discuss. It may exist or not in peoples opinions but we have to deal with these reports on our country.

If this was the Sunday Indo, it would be binned and ignored, we know they are the rubbish on all accounts.
    But "The Economist" is a world wide respected news journal.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people on boards who believe everything they read from Independent Newspapers. They even quote from the rags!

As regards the Economist article it's a poorly written (and largely made up) piece of crap. If the Ecomomist's readers are as intelligent as they'd like to think I'm sure they can see through it.

It's also at least a year old so I'm not sure it's very relevant.

I see scummy folk in tracksuits in Dublin like that...don't you?

Of course it's not representative of the whole of our city, just a small percentage, ...the uneducated scumbags that we all embaressed to see floating around the city - they are a disgrace. What can you do?

By the way, the article is still fresh, check the comments,
    there still coming in for it thick and fast...so its very relevent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You sound like you should be a member of the BNP or a similar party :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, the article was lazy and sloppy journalism - the sample of people questions IMO didn't represent Ireland fully but there is a kernel of very uncomfortable truth in the article.

Ireland is no way fit to be called a progressive society or country - just look at the lastest revelations of the Murphy Report into clerical child sex abuse. There is a rampant small minded parochialism, tribalism and cronyism that badly taints this country. There is a rotten core of corruption in our governance and institutions.

We need to face up these problems - not deny that they exist.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes, the article was lazy and sloppy journalism - the sample of people questions IMO didn't represent Ireland fully but there is a kernel of very uncomfortable truth in the article.

Ireland is no way fit to be called a progressive society or country - just look at the lastest revelations of the Murphy Report into clerical child sex abuse. There is a rampant small minded parochialism, tribalism and cronyism that badly taints this country. There is a rotten core of corruption in our governance and institutions.

We need to face up the the problems - not deny that they exist.

Well said.

angel01 wrote: »
    You sound like you should be a member of the BNP or a similar party :rolleyes:

Using your logic, so must 72% of the Irish people. Throw your eyes up into the air all you want, Angel, but the vast majority of Irish people have seen through this whole multiculturalism lark for what it truly is, a complete and utter farce. Importing vast throngs of foreigners to live amongst the native working class has been, and indeed continues to be, a complete and utter disaster.

THE VAST majority (72 per cent) of people want to see a reduction in the number of non-Irish immigrants living here, according to an Irish Times /Behaviour Attitudes opinion poll.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1124/1224259339934.html

JupiterKid wrote: »

We need to face up these problems - not deny that they exist.

These problems only exist in Ireland, eh? Good luck trying to eradicate human nature. You would probably have more success in finding a cure for cancer. People generally have a preference for their own. As I said, its human nature.

[quote=[Deleted User];63301405]No, it isn't. If you want to be pedantic, let's say England then. I live in London and there's TONS of Irish people here. Most of the ones I know get offended by even a mildly offensive comment/mocking, yet wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone being racially abused in Dublin.[/quote]

If you have to use England as an example, you really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel. You do realise we were part of the UK until 1949, eh? You do realise that there is a tad bit of history between the nations since...... not far off a century. A history of economic pillage, slaughter and illegal occupation, eh?

Again, your comparison is flawed on so many levels. What connection does the Irish nation have with Poland, Nigeria, Pakistan, Lithuania, Romania, India, etc? Indeed, what does Ireland owe these people? Why the hell are we allowing tens of thousands of foreigners, who we have no history or connection with, enter the Irish state when we have 12.5% people on the scratcher?

If anyone can tell me why the vast importation of foreigners into the Ireland is a good thing, I will join the multiculti bandwagon. I am always told its a "good" thing, but never given a reason as to why. I can tell you this, the people of west Belfast and west Dublin(two communities I am familiar with) do not think its a good thing. And with good reason. But we are all tracksuit wearing, earring dangling, kebab eating, beer swilling working class idiots. So what do we know. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I can tell you this, the people of west Belfast and west Dublin(two communities I am familiar with) do not think its a good thing. And with good reason.

If your only allies are that scum up north who burn Polish families out of their homes, that's not saying much for you is it?
    But we are all tracksuit wearing, earring dangling, kebab eating, beer swilling working class idiots. So what do we know. ;)

That sounds about right yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If you have to use England as an example, you really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel. You do realise we were part of the UK until 1949, eh? You do realise that there is a tad bit of history between the nations since...... not far off a century. A history of economic pillage, slaughter and illegal occupation, eh?

Again, your comparison is flawed on so many levels. What connection does the Irish nation have with Poland, Nigeria, Pakistan, Lithuania, Romania, India, etc? Indeed, what does Ireland owe these people? Why the hell are we allowing tens of thousands of foreigners, who we have no history or connection with, enter the Irish state when we have 12.5% people on the scratcher?

If anyone can tell me why the vast importation of foreigners into the Ireland is a good thing, I will join the multiculti bandwagon. I am always told its a "good" thing, but never given a reason as to why. I can tell you this, the people of west Belfast and west Dublin(two communities I am familiar with) do not think its a good thing. And with good reason. But we are all tracksuit wearing, earring dangling, kebab eating, beer swilling working class idiots. So what do we know. ;)

We needed them to work in the shítty jobs while we were cruising around in mercs eating caviar off supermodel's asses. Those days are finished now though, so they should drop everything and head off home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

In the Netherlands, the anti-Islam party led by Geert Wilders won about 15 percent of the vote, according to early results.

Exit polls predicted the Austrian far-right Freedom Party would double its vote from its showing in 2004, to 13 percent

in Denmark the anti-immigrant Danish People’s Party was also projected to double its 2004 tally

Within Mr. Berlusconi’s coalition, the Northern League, known for its anti-immigrant rhetoric, made gains with 10 percent of the vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/world/europe/09europe.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1259838051-emiJs2uGIKrksfMWsl2VdA
    The region's far-right and more notorious party, Vlaams Belang (Flemish Interest), went from 18 seats to 17 in the Chamber of Representatives but held its five seats in the 71-member Senate. Election analysts believe LDD snapped up votes that otherwise would have gone to Vlaams Belang.

Vlaams Belang used the national elections to promote its antimulticulturalism agenda. The party favors strong immigration controls in addition to a limit on the number of mosques in Flanders and the deportation of immigrants who fail to integrate.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?id=606
    In the 2004 state election in Saxony, the NPD won 9.2% of the overall vote. The NPD currently sends 12 representatives to the Saxony state parliament, the Landtag. During the 2004 election, the NPD entered a non-competition agreement with the German People's Union (DVU) and has since maintained that only one of the two parties will compete in any given election

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Democratic_Party_of_Germany
    When results were announced on 7 June, the BNP won two seats in the European Parliament. Andrew Brons was elected in the Yorkshire and the Humber regional constituency with 9.8% of the vote.[187] Party chairman Nick Griffin was elected for the North West region, with 8% of the vote.[188] Nationally, the BNP received 6.26%. Griffin stated that it was "a great victory ... we go on from here." Meanwhile, the Labour and Conservative parties both referred to it as a "sad moment".[189]

In local elections held that same day, the BNP also won its first three county Councilor seats in Lancashire, Leicestershire, and Hertfordshire.[190]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party#2009_European_Elections

Results by national party - Definitive results

Political party Percentage %
    UMP 27.8
    PS 16.48
    Europe écologie 16.28
    MoDem 8.4
    FN 6.3

FN : Front National

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/parliament/archive/elections2009/en/france_en_txt.html

Votes received by far-right parties in Ireland: 0%, despite having seen a level of immigration unseen in any European country since WWII. If France, Britain or Germany saw 6-8 million immigrants arrive in each of their countries in the last 5 years I have no doubt we'd be seeing epidemics of violence.
    I'd even go as far as saying that Ireland should be proud of smoothly things have gone given the potential for trouble. Anecdotal evidence of low-level abuse is hardly indicitave of the true picture.

• Advertisement

Lets bring all the Irish back from the unconnected countries they are in. Seriously if it wasn't foreigners it would be culchies, if it wasn't culchies it would be northsiders or southsiders.

Yep, and i'd rather 100 fordiners over 1 of those scum any day.

Advertisement