Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland (just Dublin City?) a xenophobic melting pot....from The Economist

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The funny thing about that article is that the only people I EVER see buying fish or fruit on Moore Street are immigrants. My two Irish flatmates last year would only go to Marks and Spencers and thought it was unhygenic to buy food from Moore Street.

I was born and raised in London, so I guess im an immigrant,and I always buy my fruit from the lovely women selling outside the Illac centre on Moore Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    If your only allies are that scum up north who burn Polish families out of their homes, that's not saying much for you is it?

It was the snouts who burnt the innocent Poles out, not my "allies" from west Belfast.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

PaulieD wrote: »
    It was the snouts who burnt the innocent Poles out, not my "allies" from west Belfast.:rolleyes:

what are snouts? pigs? police?
    I don't speak provo-talk or whatever it's called

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    what are snouts? pigs? police?
    I don't speak provo-talk or whatever it's called

Snouts are violent loyalist thugs who pick on the weak. Its not "provo-talk".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

PaulieD wrote: »
    Snouts are violent loyalist thugs who pick on the weak. Its not "provo-talk".

What are provo-thugs who pick on the weak called? Is there a technical term, or do we just call them soldiers of the real Ireland?

Anyway, people from lower socio-economic deciles always dislike immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

But "The Economist" is a world wide respected news journal.

hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

Let me guess, you prefer the amateurish rubbish spewed by the Sunday Indo?:rolleyes:

Let me guess, you prefer the amateurish rubbish spewed by the Sunday Indo?:rolleyes:

hah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Roll your wise eyes all you want, I have read the article and it doesn't express a broad opinion of the people in the city Palmerstown guy. I am in the city all the time, yes because of the recession there was always going to be a bit of begrudgery about internationals hanging on to jobs when natives loose them. Happens everywhere.

But that article is crap and rubbish, no matter how esteemed the publication is in your view. To anyone who knows the city properly it's obvious that the people questioned were cherry picked to suit the tone the journalist wanted for the article.

Don't be fooled. It's a blatant, lazy and and obvious way to distort things.

lightening wrote: »
    Don't be fooled. It's a blatant, lazy and and obvious way to distort things.

What? From The Economist? I won't hear of it!

That magazine is a highly respected periodical full of useful economic insight. Yes, the journalists of that magazine really know their stuff when in comes to economics, alright. And they have no American bias whatsoever. No, sir. The last thing I would call The Economist is a rag, written for people who want to feel like they know something about economics the next time a conversation is brought up in the pub and they want to seem clever but look like a startled deer anytime they encounter a person who actually studied the subject.

Yes, a fine periodical and not a rag at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

And they have no American bias whatsoever. No, sir.

Right! See this quote from the article.

"and the recent rejection of the Lisbon Treaty testifies to rising resentment of the European Union"

I see where you are coming from with the American bias.

If anything, The Economist is the international edition of The Indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

Agree totally, it's only a small percentage of the population of Dublin city, we all know that, and of course, these scumbags don't represent our city!

But nevertheless it exists, but that's modern journalism for you and it just says how small minded they are to try put down our city based on a small percentage who live here...

Advertisement