Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp problem- going to install a vent?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just need a bit of advice please.
    I have a one bed ground floor apartment which has damp on the back bedroom wall which is the wall the window is in. The window is also dripping with condensation. The living room ceiling also has damp in the corner above the main window.
    There are no vents in the bedroom or living room and I was told this is most likely the cause of my problem and that I should have vents installed and maybe buy a dehumidifier.
    My question is,is this a big job ,is there more too it than just putting a hole in the wall and covering it with a vent?
    I`m planning on getting someone in to do it, does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost ?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

It's not that big of a job , expect a days labour , the purchase of some external and internal wall vents and some 4" pipe. You may have to repaint walls too. I'd say €500-€800 will cover it including vat

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

:eek:Holy God milie...Cost of material inc 2 interior +2 exterior vents
    plus a generous days labor should be no more than euro 400 Max.
    A good tradesman will be out of there in 4 hours if you have the rooms cleared for him.Cover all furniture and electrical appliances in the room
    as there will be quiet a bit of dust from drilling the holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

A friend of mine who is a plasterer did this for me a few years back in three rooms. It took less than an hour for the lot, the vents and pipe cost very little and my mates cost was a cup of tea............just saying;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is there no way to put a vent in the window itself, rather than drilling the wall?

Strictly speaking, you should not drill the outer wall of your apartment without the approval of the management company.

You should also check from the outside that water does not have some way of getting through the wall, and that there is no problem with downpipes, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Hi All,

Just need a bit of advice please.
    I have a one bed ground floor apartment which has damp on the back bedroom wall which is the wall the window is in. The window is also dripping with condensation. The living room ceiling also has damp in the corner above the main window.
    There are no vents in the bedroom or living room and I was told this is most likely the cause of my problem and that I should have vents installed and maybe buy a dehumidifier.
    My question is,is this a big job ,is there more too it than just putting a hole in the wall and covering it with a vent?
    I`m planning on getting someone in to do it, does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost ?

Thanks for the help.

OP are you sure its dampness? it sounds more likely to be condensation if your windows are wet, thats typical in this climate at this time of the year.
    Have a look at the post i was querying earlier regarding insulating paint. it may be your solution. Other than that id imagine that your external walls being the coldest are the cause of the condensation on that wall. Have you cavity insualtion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

a hilti with a 4"core bit will do it :) about 60 europs for the day.

a piece of 4" waste pipe and a couple of vent covers, silicone , and roberts your mothers brother..

are you sure the windows do not have trickle vents?
    If you look from the outside are there any signs of vents on the walls?
    sometimes they are covered up on the inside.

Advertisement