Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining NARGC if not already in a club

Options
  • 02-12-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Can you join NARGC if you are not a member of any other gun club?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Don't think you can Bond, hope I'm proven wrong though as I'd like to be a member also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You can apply to your local NARGC affiliated club. As per NARGC rules once you live in the town or townland there should be no objections - bar the obvious ones - against you joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

LOL! I have been trying for 3 years to join the local gun club. They don't want me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They don't want me.

Could be a reason .......!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry off thread
    thanks for bring this up would be very interested in same

Could be a reason .......!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, I don't want to associate with people with such narrow view points, hence my desire to join a different club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

LOL! I have been trying for 3 years to join the local gun club. They don't want me.

I know it's a problem in a lot of places but the NARGC nationwide rule is there. Membership should be open to people living in the club's area. The only reason why people should be refused is when it's clear that it wouldn't be in the club's interest to accept them, for example people that are known to ignore no shooting signs, shoot too close to houses etc

Can NARGC do anything where no legitimate reason for refusal is given?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

AFAIK you can contribute to the compensation fund without having to actually join the local gun club per se. You can do this by making contact with your local NARGC fund administrator (nothing to do with the guys from your local gun club) for your area. But I do warn you (and I may well be wrong here and please accept my humblest apologies if I am), if you are thinking of joining so that you can see if the NARGC will fund a case for you, they don't seem to be interested in taking any new cases on at the moment and don't seem to want to touch the pistol situation with a barge-pole. But a membership to the compensation fund is a good idea anyway from an insurance point of view.

Not looking to fund a case or anything like that. I am only looking to join a club to keep the local Super happy so I can keep shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Will clubs be taking on people this time of year??

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Don't think you can Bond, hope I'm proven wrong though as I'd like to be a member also.

Would you not try Countryside alliance John??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I probably should Dusty, but I think they had stuff on their homepage when I visited it last that I didn't much care for. Kind of an odd fella me ;)

johngalway wrote: »
    I probably should Dusty, but I think they had stuff on their homepage when I visited it last that I didn't much care for. Kind of an odd fella me ;)

I was thinking of joining them, was chatting them at Birr, got the forms and everything. Seemed ok, your covered for any field sport, but then again i didnt read small print,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Normally its not that the "Club" wont let you in but a couple of Dinosaurs as officers, dont give up yet.

Do you know anyone in the club??
    Do you have Farmers permissions that are in the Club Boundaries?
    Get some local Farmers to recommend you?

There is ways and means unfortunately, not everyone has such open approaches as our club

Anyone can join, once you live in the parish, or have links to the parish and your known to members.*

*ability to shoot straight is an advantage prefer a good ave 70% at sporting clays and doesnt drop below 22/25 on DTL, doesnt mind hard work, buys drink and can sell 100 books of tickets for the annual draw

• Registered Users Posts: 1 silverfox mayo

Bond,
    Must be member of a club to join Fund.Contact your County Fund Officer, he will put you in contact a local club.
    Let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Why not try another NARGC club near by, thats what most folks do if they cant get in their own local club, they just try anothet club near by. I know for a fact the NARGC do not give direct membership outside of being in a club, I was in the same position as you, the treasurer of my local NARGC club drank all the money and we then had no insurance/cover I complained and they boothed me out as the guys running the club were friends of his!! Go figure, I got CAI cover so I could continue shooting safely and I now live in another area and have no problems with local membership, gun clubs get fed up to with lads joining to license a gun and then not renewing the following year, "USERS", it ruins everything for everyone. Another option is joining a target club and attending when you can. By joining a club you learn safe gun handling, make new friends, learn new skills, pick up tips on where to buy stuff cheap and most of all your supporting something other than just yourself. Team spirit, cant beat it.

Hope it works out for you.

HJ:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Can you join NARGC if you are not a member of any other gun club?

No. I looked at it just for the insurance/fund cover; NARGC were polite and helpful, but the bottom line was to join a Club. Instead I and the guys I shoot with joined the CAI. No complaints and a good deal.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

There is another option for insurance - HAI
    Their insurance is through the IFA so might carry a bit more weight when you're around to farmers looking for permission.
    The policy document is here - Policy

You can join the IFA Countryside directly but it's more expensive.

Advertisement