Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa v. Pro Evo

• 02-12-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

can anyone recommend which is the best for the Elite?

Thanks and sorry for not searching too much..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Fifa 10.

But like always, you'll get a neverending debate between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Moved to the FIFA & PES forum.
    Sheepy99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

FIFA 10 by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

FIFA 10 by a mile.

+1

+1

by two miles then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Pro Evo 10 by infinity miles ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    by two miles then?

At least 2! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

This is like comparing modern warfare and operation flashpoint.

Both FPS but thats where it ends.

Fifa best arcade footy game.
    Pro evo best footy sim.

If you play footy get pro evo if you only ever watch it on Sky or are 12 get Fifa.

Pro evo best footy sim.

If you play footy get pro evo if you only ever watch it on Sky or are 12 get Fifa.

Sorry man but i watched a game off PES for the first time today(FIFA player the past 3 years myself) in college and it is nowhere near being a ''football sim''

The players move like robots and the general build up play resembled an arcade game of 10 years ago, don't want to go into an argument about which is better, but FIFA would be the Sim and Pro Evo the Arcade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Sorry man but i watched a game off PES for the first time today(FIFA player the past 3 years myself) in college and it is nowhere near being a ''football sim''

The players move like robots and the general build up play resembled an arcade game of 10 years ago, don't want to go into an argument about which is better, but FIFA would be the Sim and Pro Evo the Arcade

ahh so you watched it and not played it.Should try and get a job with gamespot or maybe xbox360 magazine(the offical one o f course)you'd make a good reviewer.

I have played both and prefer pro evo,just a better game of footie imho

EDIT:although fifa has improved impressively over the last few seasons.

• Advertisement

Pro evo best footy sim.

Someone's stuck in 2002. Pro Evo 10 is an arcade game, FIFA 10 is the football simulator.

Pro Evo reached its pinacle with Pro Evo 5 and has been going steadily downhill since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Fifa by a country mile!

I played Pro Evo forever up until last year. Its the same thing every year and when I played Fifa 09 I was shocked how good it was. Movement of the players is so much better, in Pro Evo as someone said earlier they move like robots. I gave Pro Evo another chance this year but Fifa came out on top again.

Pro Evo has fallen behind big time and Fifa is now the best Footy sim. Pro Evo fans need to admit it! I never thought I'd be saying this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Someone's stuck in 2002. Pro Evo 10 is an arcade game, FIFA 10 is the football simulator.

Pro Evo reached its pinacle with Pro Evo 5 and has been going steadily downhill since then.

This. :)

Unfortunately. :(

Although I'm not sure I'd call it steady. PES6 was alright... then it dropped off a cliff and is trying to slowly crawl its way back up with some broken limbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

i have both and i prefer Fifa both online and offline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

jenno86 wrote: »
    Fifa by a country mile!

I played Pro Evo forever up until last year. Its the same thing every year and when I played Fifa 09 I was shocked how good it was. Movement of the players is so much better, in Pro Evo as someone said earlier they move like robots. I gave Pro Evo another chance this year but Fifa came out on top again.

Pro Evo has fallen behind big time and Fifa is now the best Footy sim. Pro Evo fans need to admit it! I never thought I'd be saying this!

Lol almost every football game is the same game over and over the only thing that changes is the players the graphics and the jerseys. Every football game after 2006 have become stagnant and boring.
    However if I had to make a choice I would choose Pro Evo because of the control in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Evolute wrote: »
    Lol almost every football game is the same game over and over the only thing that changes is the players the graphics and the jerseys. Every football game after 2006 have become stagnant and boring.
    However if I had to make a choice I would choose Pro Evo because of the control in the game.

You are sooo wrong. I was a Pro Evo fanboy for years....ever since the ISS Pro days but after PES6 the game was totally overtaken by Fifa. This years game is the best football game by far and I have played both.
    Also the online element to Fifa10 is much smoother and stable than PES.

PES really need to pull their socks up.

claiva wrote: »
    You are sooo wrong. I was a Pro Evo fanboy for years....ever since the ISS Pro days but after PES6 the game was totally overtaken by Fifa. This years game is the best football game by far and I have played both.
    Also the online element to Fifa10 is much smoother and stable than PES.

PES really need to pull their socks up.

Play and say what ya want I just dont like Fifa and prefer Pes.
    Ive played both too and still think that Pes is more enjoyable

Your first bolded statement renders your second bolded statement useless.

Obviously don't seem to have a clue.

Your first bolded statement renders your second bolded statement useless.

Obviously don't seem to have a clue.

Actually I do the game is still the same bloody game its football and football isnt going to suddenly change simple as.
    So go sit yourself in the corner facing the wall and shush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Fifa10 now has 16 directions you can move in......PES has 8.
    But if you prefer PES fair enough.
    I disagree though.
    Thats all.

• Advertisement

Actually I do the game is still the same bloody game its football and football isn't going to suddenly change simple as.
    So go sit yourself in the corner facing the wall and shush

Wow, lost for words.

So in your eyes, Mario Kart is the same as Forza Motorsport 2??

I mean its the same bloody game, it's racing, and racing isn't suddenly going to change, simple as.

Go sit in the corner and wait for Santa, he might bring you some common sense this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Wow, lost for words.

I mean its the same bloody game, it's racing, and racing isn't suddenly going to change, simple as.

Go sit in the corner and wait for Santa, he might bring you some common sense this year.

Taking your point a bit to the extreme don't you think? He was only saying that there are mainly incremental changes that can be made each year to a footy game - the laws of the game don't change that much (Henry aside :)) so football is football every year.

Using your extreme example of Mario Kart and Forza 2 is not even close. One is a cartoonish go kart game, the other is a driving simulation. If we wanted to be completely over the top we could say that Modern Warfare 2 is the same as Excel... I mean they're all computer programs, right? :D

The chap did have a point though... Pro Evo didn't change much until this year, FIFA changed a lot last year but most of it is window dressing about the same decent footy game engines.

Taking your point a bit to the extreme don't you think? He was only saying that there are mainly incremental changes that can be made each year to a footy game - the laws of the game don't change that much (Henry aside :)) so football is football every year.

Using your extreme example of Mario Kart and Forza 2 is not even close. One is a cartoonish go kart game, the other is a driving simulation. If we wanted to be completely over the top we could say that Modern Warfare 2 is the same as Excel... I mean they're all computer programs, right? :D

The chap did have a point though... Pro Evo didn't change much until this year, FIFA changed a lot last year but most of it is window dressing about the same decent footy game engines.

Yeah point was a bit extreme, but at the end of the day, Fifa and Pro are totally different games, first touch reacts totally differently, so does sprinting with the ball, passing, through balls, long balls, shooting, bringing the keeper out, and the online play far surpasses PES.

But to say they are both the same because they are based on the same Sport, is just ignorant, and wrong, I know its a subjective thing, which game you prefer, but they're totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Personally I'm sick of BOTH of them! Every year I download the fifa demo hoping it's good again, but it always feels the same, just with better graphics. ANd the camera is too far away or too close which drives me nuts, no matter how much tinkering I do. Once Fifa hit the PS2 and Xbox they made it feel... odd, I can't explain it, the players move as if they're hovering slightly sbove the pitch!

Pro Evo was great until about 3 or 4, but seems to be getting progressivley worse. It's also randomly fast or slow to play wvery year. 08 moved like the clappers and 09 was the opposite.

Personally I prefer Pro evo a fair bit, but neither are exceptional games and neither feel like playing football to me. Pro evo does a more believeable job in terms of defenses being hard to break down, forcing you to use the wings, make crosses, etc. It's a more challenging game, but if you stick 11 speedy players in you'll win! Fifa is just a little too easy to do the spectacular... even playing as rubbish players. It's a better looking version of football, but less like a match where a side has to break down a defense.

Fifa I guess, is messi going on a spectacular run out of nothing and banging one in. Pro evo is Arsenal passing for an hour before the other team makes a mistake and lets a goal in.

Just pick whichever style appeals!

I say bring back Fifa 98's indoor pitch.And This is football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Im a self admitted Pro Evo fanboy, have been playing it for as long as I can remember, even had the old ISS Pro games on the Playstation1 and they were always better than Fifa. Imo FIFA was more of a kids game and pro evo was more of a sim but PRO EVO 09 and 10 havnt impressed me one bit, i still find myself going back to PRO EVO 05 and 06 when the lads are over and we all agree theyre much better than the new ones.

Had a go of FIFA10 the other day and im well impressed with it, it seems to have grown up a lot and now eclipses PRO EVO as the no1 football game out there.

So to answer your question, best football game at the moment is FIFA10, funnily enough I still have a hankering for the old PRO EVO games though :o

Im a fanboy thru and thru!

Yep, there's opinion and taste to take into consideration but even then, you're just wrong. FIFA has improved hugely in each version released each year since 2006 to the extent that it's a totally different game.

As for control, FIFA 10's new 360 degree control scheme means you've never played a game with more control.

Yep, there's opinion and taste to take into consideration but even then, you're just wrong. FIFA has improved hugely in each version released each year since 2006 to the extent that it's a totally different game.

As for control, FIFA 10's new 360 degree control scheme means you've never played a game with more control.

Thats all a matter of opinion. I can pick up either game and play it just as easily as one of the older games I suppose its more I find there is nothing new to these games. Where there may be considerable differences I still find pes or fifa the same game as it has always been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Wow, lost for words.

Santa does not exist.

Thanks people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

This is very true. EA have taken what was good in PES 4 years ago and in the subsequent three years have improved upon on it dramatically in their new next-gen engine compared to their old game engine.
    09 was very good but still had the infuriatingly slow reactions at times and the fact the balance of the game wasn't quite right. Fifa10 has fixed most of the slow reactions and response issues but has also created a slightly unbalanced attack oriented game at times, where a quick player with high dribbling attributes is god, no matter what kind of defensive positioning or cover you use, not to mention they completely ruined heading the ball.
    All in all though, much improved.

That aside, I still dont ever finding myself playing Fifa single player, it just doesn't have the grasp PES used to. I remember playing PES for hours, the "one more game" bug used to be alive and well and you could always enjoy it. Fifa just seems to lack that for me and you always feel more like you're watching a match rather than be in it. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'd still love if Seabass and Co. brought PES back from brink and delivered something that didn't feel so mechanical and limited. :)

• Advertisement

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    ahh so you watched it and not played it.Should try and get a job with gamespot or maybe xbox360 magazine(the offical one o f course)you'd make a good reviewer.

I have played both and prefer pro evo,just a better game of footie imho

EDIT:although fifa has improved impressively over the last few seasons.

Yes i watched it, and if you read my post properly you'd realise i didn't have to play it to make the point i was making :rolleyes:

I think by observing you can tell the players move like robots and the build up play looked arcadey, i never said i didn't like it on the basis of watching it, maybe you should use your own eyes a bit more wisely and stop jumping to conclusions having read about half my post.

I said i wasn't getting into a debate about which was better, but challenged a poster who said ''Pro=Sim, FIFA-Arcade'' that's not the case anymore, it's reversed now

Advertisement