Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RunKildare Half Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

robinph wrote: »
    I've had a text message from them confirming my entry, no email yet though.

I registered online, payment was deducted from my credit card shortly afterwards. I didn't receive any further confirmation by email/text/post.

I have received a text message confirming the changed start time, and have received a couple of newsletter emails.

I'm presuming the receipts I have are enough to confirm that I am "in"?

Should I be concerned that I didn't receive that text message that you mentioned robinph?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I may go for a 1:35 or so if I recover well from Connemara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Recce - 16miles
    Sunday April 11th
    Meet at Kidare Town Sq at 9am

Group A (7:45 - 8:00 pace)
    BeepBeep67 (coming from Wicklow Town - via the N11 or over the hills, if someone needs a lift)
    Diggy78

Reminder if anyone is interested - I have another non boardies coming with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

We're getting pacers :D

My PB is 1:36:52, so plan for Kildare is to tag along with the 1:30 pacers and then either hang on or kick on over the last few miles, hoping for a sub 1:30

Sorry - need to cry off the recce on Sunday, got dragged into an offsite next week and need to get some pre work done, might think about it next Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Sorry - need to cry off the recce on Sunday, got dragged into an offsite next week and need to get some pre work done, might think about it next Sunday?

No worries BeepBeep, might make the week after, not sure yet. Will probably do a local run around Naas so. Catch ya later.

Thinking of this Sunday for a recce if there are a few bodies around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

DustyBin wrote: »
    We're getting pacers :D

My PB is 1:36:52, so plan for Kildare is to tag along with the 1:30 pacers and then either hang on or kick on over the last few miles, hoping for a sub 1:30

I am pacing the 90 min. Stay with me and you will get through in 89 min 50 odd. dont start in front of the pacer is the only thing i would say.

I am pacing the 90 min. Stay with me and you will get through in 89 min 50 odd. dont start in front of the pacer is the only thing i would say.

Thats fantastic, at least I know you'll be well able for the time.
    I reckon I'll recognise you from some of the pictures posted on boards before, I'll make sure to introduce myself to you at some stage.

Are you planning to run even splits or a neg split?
    (fingers crossed its even)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thats fantastic, at least I know you'll be well able for the time.
    I reckon I'll recognise you from some of the pictures posted on boards before, I'll make sure to introduce myself to you at some stage.

Are you planning to run even splits or a neg split?
    (fingers crossed its even)

I believe in negative splits if i run my own marathon.
    When pacing i wouldnt dream of that...It would reduce the chance of lads getting under 90 min.....I went through Dublin 144.52 qnd came back in 1.45.00
    I couldnt tell you how many we got around but i had 4 friends with me. 1 got injured the other 3 ran 3.29.......If i ran 1.43 to halfway not one of them would have ran sub 3.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

I will be pacing the 1:45 group and like VR plan for even splits throughout. The only time I would consider not going with an even split is if the course profile was significantly different in the two halves (For example, I paced a few in Connemara Marathon last weekend and ran a first half with 1:20 positive split to allow for the 2 mile hill at mile 22)

For those considering planning to rely on pacers for this one a few things to bear in mind:

- Make sure you start behind the pacer you plan to follow, when the pacer gets over the line just under the desired time (CHIP TIME!) you need to make sure that you are a few seconds ahead of that and not behind

- The splits that will be monitored will be the times at the actual mile markers, those of you with GPS devices are likely to be monitoring different mile splits due to margin of error and not running the race line

- If you have trained properly for the race the first half should feel comfortable, stick with the pacing group to at least half way before you decide that you can achieve a better time and go ahead of the group

- Remember that the pacers will be doing their best to help you achieve your goals and despite the robot-like consistent pace are only human too ;)

Enjoy the experience!!

recce off the cards for me - can't get home through the volcanic ash :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

4 stars (good)
    asimonov wrote: »
    Planning fail here; race is on same day as our eldest's first communion. I'm still holding out some hope the church will have fallen by then though.
    lecheile wrote: »
    you think that's bad asimonov......I went and arranged our road race for the same day as my son's communion and only realised the clash of dates when the countdown to the communion started :o
    I registered for The Omagh half last year on my daughters confirmation. Doh!

Ha! I thought I was the only one to do this - registered for the Aware 10k last december on the same day as my daughters christening - suggested doing both but was "advised the error of my ways" by OH and had to pull out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am in for this race now over Wexford, so... has anyone a map with elevation?

4 stars (good)
    mloc123 wrote: »

there's one (of sorts) on their facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/RunKildare-marathon-2010/230430720702

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

will be doin this on friday mornin wit an extra 3 thrown in for good measure if any ones about

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gilly74

I will be pacing the 1:45 group and like VR plan for even splits throughout. The only time I would consider not going with an even split is if the course profile was significantly different in the two halves (For example, I paced a few in Connemara Marathon last weekend and ran a first half with 1:20 positive split to allow for the 2 mile hill at mile 22)

For those considering planning to rely on pacers for this one a few things to bear in mind:

- Make sure you start behind the pacer you plan to follow, when the pacer gets over the line just under the desired time (CHIP TIME!) you need to make sure that you are a few seconds ahead of that and not behind

- The splits that will be monitored will be the times at the actual mile markers, those of you with GPS devices are likely to be monitoring different mile splits due to margin of error and not running the race line

- If you have trained properly for the race the first half should feel comfortable, stick with the pacing group to at least half way before you decide that you can achieve a better time and go ahead of the group

- Remember that the pacers will be doing their best to help you achieve your goals and despite the robot-like consistent pace are only human too ;)

Enjoy the experience!!
    hope to do it in 1.50 its my first race should i go with your pace or the 2.00 pace

mloc123 wrote: »

mapmyrun/kildare half marathon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

gilly74 wrote: »
    hope to do it in 1.50 its my first race should i go with your pace or the 2.00 pace

I'm the 2.00 pacer for this. Depends how strongly you feel about your time etc. Have you done a 10k recently? If you're under 50 mins for this then 2.00 might be a tiny bit slow for you.

One option is to stay with me for the first 6-8 miles, then if you're feeling good you can push on and try to gain a few minutes.

There's an excellent FAQ Re: the pacers on the site also, good to have a read of this pre-race.

See you on the day :)

• Advertisement

Hi gilly74 - as christeb has already said, it will depend on how realistic the 1:50 target is for you. The more realistic the target, the more likely you will be able to hang-on with the 1:45 group for a larger portion of the race.

Another factor is whether you tend to run a positive or negative split in your previous races. If you are used to running the first half faster than the second, going out with the 1:45 group will likely get you a faster finish time. The challenge with slowing down in the later stages of the race is you need to cope with people passing you which can be de-motivating.

If on the other hand you tend to run the second half of races faster, start out with christeb's crew and have a clear plan as to when you are going to leave them behind, and the pace you will need to make up the 10 minute deficit.

Best of luck.

christeb wrote: »
    I'm the 2.00 pacer for this. Depends how strongly you feel about your time etc. Have you done a 10k recently? If you're under 50 mins for this then 2.00 might be a tiny bit slow for you.

One option is to stay with me for the first 6-8 miles, then if you're feeling good you can push on and try to gain a few minutes.

There's an excellent FAQ Re: the pacers on the site also, good to have a read of this pre-race.

See you on the day :)
    have done a few 10k recently not races though and have been hitting the 50 mins mark give or take a min or two either side of the 50

Hi gilly74 - as christeb has already said, it will depend on how realistic the 1:50 target is for you. The more realistic the target, the more likely you will be able to hang-on with the 1:45 group for a larger portion of the race.

Another factor is whether you tend to run a positive or negative split in your previous races. If you are used to running the first half faster than the second, going out with the 1:45 group will likely get you a faster finish time. The challenge with slowing down in the later stages of the race is you need to cope with people passing you which can be de-motivating.

If on the other hand you tend to run the second half of races faster, start out with christeb's crew and have a clear plan as to when you are going to leave them behind, and the pace you will need to make up the 10 minute deficit.

Best of luck.
    i got the time from some of the race predictors but have done 10 miles in time of 1:26 to 1:28 recently

Hi gilly
    If those times are based on training runs then I reckon you should definitely start and finish with the 1:45 group.
    There's nothing like race adrenaline to surprise yourself with how fast you can actually go, training runs just cannot compare even though it may feel like you couldn't give another ounce.
    Start with lecheile, relax as much as you can, and stay confident. I wouldn't be surprised if you find you can kick on ahead of him over the last couple of miles.
    Enjoy and good luck

Hi gilly
    If those times are based on training runs then I reckon you should definitely start and finish with the 1:45 group.
    There's nothing like race adrenaline to surprise yourself with how fast you can actually go, training runs just cannot compare even though it may feel like you couldn't give another ounce.
    Start with lecheile, relax as much as you can, and stay confident. I wouldn't be surprised if you find you can kick on ahead of him over the last couple of miles.
    Enjoy and good luck
    cheers mate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

+1 to Dusty's assessment of the times there. If those are training 10mile times then you should be knocking huge chunks off those in an actual race.

• Advertisement

+1 to Dusty's assessment of the times there. If those are training 10mile times then you should be knocking huge chunks off those in an actual race.
    this race will be my first since i was a teen but even then would never have gone over 5k

Gilly,

Agree with the lads re your performance in training and what it will deliver in the race - you will benefit from the pacing group by not going off too fast.

It looks like we have a start of a pacing group :D

theres over 40 guys for under 1:20 and 1 on for 1:04:eek:

ultraman1 wrote: »
    theres over 40 guys for under 1:20 and 1 on for 1:04:eek:

I presume the sub-64 is tunguska??!!

i got the time from some of the race predictors but have done 10 miles in time of 1:26 to 1:28 recently

You should be good for the 1:45 group, aim for that anyway. Worst comes to worst, I'll give you a jockey back over the line in sub 120 :D

• Advertisement

You should be good for the 1:45 group, aim for that anyway. Worst comes to worst, I'll give you a jockey back over the line in sub 120 :D
    only getting over a viral infection so will have to wait and see was out today for 7 miles and felt ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I presume the sub-64 is tunguska??!!

Not quite there yet dude. Still only getting back to form after the fall and subsequent injury. Id hope for 74 mins but it depends on the course. Is it flat, hilly or somewhere in between?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I was supposed to be away the weekend of this half so I was aiming for a half in June. I'm not going away now so I'm considering entering. My longest run is just over 10 miles (in 1:37) which I've done twice and planning to do 11 this friday. Then going to Kinsale for the weekend... Would it be stupid to enter or should I go for it? I suppose I wouldn't get near a 2hour half on this would I?

claralara wrote: »
    Would it be stupid to enter or should I go for it? I suppose I wouldn't get near a 2hour half on this would I?

I think entry for this is now closed? Was supposed to close 2 weeks before race
    Better get in touch with the organisors sharpish if you want to check it out

from the FAQ on the website...

Q: When do you close for online entries?
    A: Sunday 2nd May 2010

Q: When do you close for postal entries?
    A: Wednesday 28th April 2010

Had checked the deadline alright, will need to enter tomorrow though if I decide to do it as won't be near the interweb for the weekend. Hmmm... Maybe I'm not ready..

This sunday, hopefully the weather will hold up. So who else is running this? Think its call your time, eh, time.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You first ... No? ... OK then.

Well using the trusty McMillian to decide on my targets give me something between 1:20 and 1:25 depending on which recent race time I feed it with. I'll be happy with anything close to that range though and can finally sort out the current half PB I have which looks out of place at the moment.

Current PB from Dublin Half '06: 1:53

However that has since been unofficially beaten in first half of DMC '08 which was then beaten in second half of DCM '08 which was then beaten in first half of Rotterdam '10. None of those times count though. Would be delighted to take 30minutes off the current time, but not sure I'm going to quite have the staying power for that.

You first ... No? ... OK then.

Well using the trusty McMillian to decide on my targets give me something between 1:20 and 1:25 depending on which recent race time I feed it with. I'll be happy with anything close to that range though and can finally sort out the current half PB I have which looks out of place at the moment.

Current PB from Dublin Half '06: 1:53

However that has since been unofficially beaten in first half of DMC '08 which was then beaten in second half of DCM '08 which was then beaten in first half of Rotterdam '10. None of those times count though. Would be delighted to take 30minutes off the current time, but not sure I'm going to quite have the staying power for that.

Its a shot in the dark, I still dont knw where I stand really after the injuries but I'll aim for 1:14. May not get it but I'll give it everything I have.
    Id say you'll definitely go sub 1:25 at the very least robin.

It's my first half and I've heard it's pretty flat - would love 2:10. Not sure how realistic that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

If I finish under 2.30 I'll be happy ! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I'm heading to Kildare on Sunday morning but unsure as yet regarding target. It'll be my first race as a Boards AC member. As usual, though, I've put things on the long finger and have as yet to put a cheque in the post for a singlet so won't be wearing the colours unfortunately.

My PB is 1:38 from the recent Connemarathon so 1:35 is achievable I reckon. However, seeing as there are 1:30 pacers, I'm toying with the notion of heading out with them and seeing if I can hang on for dear life :eek:. 1:38 to 1:29 is a big jump so my question is, is this a daft strategy? I did the Craughwell 10 miler in 68, which would be roughly the pace needed for sub 1:30, but I had nothing left to give at the end of that race, let alone another three miles! The only argument for being able to go further was that my pacing for Craughwell was very uneven, and maybe with steadier pacing, I could stay at 6:50 for a bit further... :confused: Any advice?

It's my first - so anything around 2.10 would do me just fine!
    I've also missed a big chunk of training because of injury (couldn't run for 3 out of last 5 weeks :()

Does anyone know where the toilets may be along the route?

I have a particular reason for asking...!

Hopefully a sub 1:30 for me

@ ronanmac, 1:38 was at Connemara, very hilly by all accounts. Kildare is supposed to be relatively flat. See you in the 1:30 pace group :D

Also, you had less than ideal preparation for the connemara half if I remember correctly? I think you weren't going to do it up until the last few days beforehand? - defo aim for 1:30

4 stars (good)
    first for me too - had notions of doing it in under 2 hours but i tried my 10 mile LSR last week at that pace and fell away badly in the last 2 miles. Have since done an 11 Mile run comfortably at what would be 2:02/2:03 pace so maybe something around that???

William72 wrote: »
    first for me too - had notions of doing it in under 2 hours but i tried my 10 mile LSR last week at that pace and fell away badly in the last 2 miles. Have since done an 11 Mile run comfortably at what would be 2:02/2:03 pace so maybe something around that???

Difference between 2:02 and 1:59 is minimal, and it should feel easier to run in the 2hr pacing group - so I'll see you there :)

Brian (2 hr pacer)

4 stars (good)
    Difference between 2:02 and 1:59 is minimal, and it should feel easier to run in the 2hr pacing group - so I'll see you there :)

Brian (2 hr pacer)

Cheers Brian - was thinking that as I typed it so good to hear an experienced voice saying same. Have never run with a pacer before - will I be able to spot you easily?

William72 wrote: »
    Cheers Brian - was thinking that as I typed it so good to hear an experienced voice saying same. Have never run with a pacer before - will I be able to spot you easily?

Yep - balloons and pacing target times on the back, I'll make sure I'm visible before the off!

scargill wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the toilets may be along the route?

I believe there will be facilities at the water stations:
    http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/course.html

• Advertisement

I believe there will be facilities at the water stations:
    http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/course.html

cheers - it seems to be around 3,6 and 9 miles - that would be ideal.

Advertisement